Feeding chameleon worms for a month

Aletheaseverino

Hi guys! This is my first post and I’m super excited to learn more and more about my veiled chameleon. His name is Arlo and he’s quite picky, like many others he won’t eat anything that doesn’t move. I’m going away for a month and my mom is going to be watching him. She’s watched him for a week before but she didn’t feed or watch over the crickets while I was gone(even though I told her exactly what to do etc) so they all ended up eating each other and dying. Since this time it’s going to be a month I know the crickets don’t stand a chance with my mom. I was excited to learn about Dubia roaches until I learned of course they’re illegal in Florida and I have no way of obtaining them. I was wondering if superworms and meal worms would serve him justice for a month until I get back. I just want him to be as healthy as can be and I worry a lot when I’m gone so knowing the best option would be a lot of help! Thank you:)

You can box up each days worth of crickets in individual deli cups with a toilet paper roll and a chunk of carrot. If she feeds those every other day for the first couple weeks they should last. They won't be quality gut loaded but at least it won't be a solid month of worms.
Set some BSF to hatch out while you are gone as well.

I'm leaving for 10 days and crickets are necessary, so am trying to make it as easy for the "chameleon sitter" as possible. I'm going to make up cricket gutload packets (super gutload powder, bee pollen) and some frozen gutload puree in chunks in the freezer. I'll also chop up a bunch of fresh greens in combination and leave in fridg. She can just drop some of each in the cricket keeper once every couple days. I'll have a mess when I get back, but the crickies should be ok. For a month, you could do the packets of dry stuff, the frozen puree, and some fresh chopped greens for at least the first couple weeks.

Since we are on the topic of worms,I have a question for all. I am in the process of training a very skiddish male veiled to eat from my hand and the only thing that he will take are superworms. I only allow one per day and wondering if this is ok as long as he continues with his crickets as a staple. I am making progress with this method.

Hi guys! This is my first post and I’m super excited to learn more and more about my veiled chameleon. His name is Arlo and he’s quite picky, like many others he won’t eat anything that doesn’t move. I’m going away for a month and my mom is going to be watching him. She’s watched him for a week before but she didn’t feed or watch over the crickets while I was gone(even though I told her exactly what to do etc) so they all ended up eating each other and dying. Since this time it’s going to be a month I know the crickets don’t stand a chance with my mom. I was excited to learn about Dubia roaches until I learned of course they’re illegal in Florida and I have no way of obtaining them. I was wondering if superworms and meal worms would serve him justice for a month until I get back. I just want him to be as healthy as can be and I worry a lot when I’m gone so knowing the best option would be a lot of help! Thank you:)
I was thinking of doing black soldier fly larvae as his main feed and then throw in mealworms and super worms every other day. When I come back in a month he’d return to his normal diet of crickets and worms.

Since we are on the topic of worms,I have a question for all. I am in the process of training a very skiddish male veiled to eat from my hand and the only thing that he will take are superworms. I only allow one per day and wondering if this is ok as long as he continues with his crickets as a staple. I am making progress with this method.
I think this is ok but make sure you make a separate thread for your question. It may get confusing with others looking to give suggestions for the OP.

Back
Top Bottom