Feeding chameleon greens

You should not really feed any fruit or veg. Save that for your feeders. People are pretty split on this. But they do not actually digest these items they are more roughage. But chameleons are insectivores so a variety of insect feeders is what they really need.

The only greens (altho not really green) I feed my veiled is fresh dandelion flowers. He loves them.

You should not really feed any fruit or veg. Save that for your feeders. People are pretty split on this. But they do not actually digest these items they are more roughage. But chameleons are insectivores so a variety of insect feeders is what they really need.
Yeah but can’t they eat collard greens? I don’t feed fruits but I know they enjoy vegetation in the wild. It has no nutritional value?

Yeah but can’t they eat collard greens? I don’t feed fruits but I know they enjoy vegetation in the wild. It has no nutritional value?
Animals can only get nutrients from something if they can digest/break it down so the nutrients can be used/absorbed.
It's said that chameleons can't digest vegetation...but to me it's strange that they will eat so many different things just for roughage. I'm still not sure all chameleons can't use some of it...the research will continue I'm sure.

Feeding chams vegetables is a point of controversy. I personally don't feed Boaz any greens, but I won't stop him from munching on his live plants, they actually provide him with some hydration. That being said they are insectivores so plants are not really in their diet so I would keep it to a minimum.

My Cham has no live plants, that’s why I started offering a cup of collard greens once a week and she was nibbling in it.

Well then you should add live plants. Fake ones are very dangerous with Veileds...
I struggle keeping them alive, also i've never once saw my chameleon try to eat the fake plants. Maybe adding collard greens makes them think its leaves and they eat that intsead of the fake plants? Either way mine never shows interest in eating the plants.

I struggle keeping them alive, also i've never once saw my chameleon try to eat the fake plants. Maybe adding collard greens makes them think its leaves and they eat that intsead of the fake plants? Either way mine never shows interest in eating the plants.
Ok well do what you will. But you will continue to get the same answers within the forum. fake plants kill Veileds. And they do not digest vegetation or fruit which is why they should not be fed it. Since they are insectivores they do not need it.

If you do not have lighting for the plants they die.

Ok well do what you will. But you will continue to get the same answers within the forum. fake plants kill Veileds. And they do not digest vegetation or fruit which is why they should not be fed it. Since they are insectivores they do not need it.

If you do not have lighting for the plants they die.
Don't be ugly... don't be ugly... no need! I won't feed them greens no more, I was just wondering because a Youtuber of mine is very educated and feeds hers so I figured i'd give it a try! Thank you tho mr boy

Have you tried a pothos plant? They are super easy to grow and very hardy. Plus they grow wonderful long vines that can add extra little roads for your cham to travel. If you wanted to add a grow light, these are pretty decent and can fit in a dome fixture. https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Daylig...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I have used the 15w version which did great with pothos. I currently use these which keep even my hibiscus alive and thriving. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have you tried a pothos plant? They are super easy to grow and very hardy. Plus they grow wonderful long vines that can add extra little roads for your cham to travel. If you wanted to add a grow light, these are pretty decent and can fit in a dome fixture. https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Daylig...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I have used the 15w version which did great with pothos. I currently use these which keep even my hibiscus alive and thriving. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
these lights wont effect the chameleons either? Just making sure i'm not adding anything harmful.

Also do female veiled chameleons get significantly smaller than the males? Mine is pretty small still and I have had her since October. I wouldn't even say she is half the size of an adult male.

these lights wont effect the chameleons either? Just making sure i'm not adding anything harmful.
Nope, they are fine. I’m not sure about the grow bulbs that have the colored lights so I avoid those.

Also do female veiled chameleons get significantly smaller than the males? Mine is pretty small still and I have had her since October. I wouldn't even say she is half the size of an adult male.
Yes, females are smaller than males. It’s generally a good idea to monitor weights, especially on females. It helps not only to see their growth and monitor general health, but for ladies it can help tell when they are getting close to laying eggs.

Don't be ugly... don't be ugly... no need! I won't feed them greens no more, I was just wondering because a Youtuber of mine is very educated and feeds hers so I figured i'd give it a try! Thank you tho mr boy
I am not being ugly... Just to the point. It is not my chameleon. It is yours so you get to do what you want. But just because your youtube person does it does not make it right. I know they have "status" that they know what they are talking about because they put out videos for people but this does not make the info they give correct. And like I said it is controversial within the hobby.

You have people that will do it and then you have those that do not do it at all.
They are insectivores so I land on the side of not doing it at all. Mine have live plants in their cages that are Veiled safe so if they choose on their own and eat a leaf here and there then that is them deciding. Not me putting veg or fruit in their food dish.

Female Veileds are notorious for stripping their plants. So having fake plants is a danger.

Back
Top Bottom