Feeding a pinkie

From what I've read cockroaches store more uric acid if fed high protein diets. What do you feed your roaches?

There is also a bacteria in their system that breaks down the uric acid when, I think, nitrogen is needed. If this bacteria breaks down uric acid maybe it has an affect on it all?

Mice pups I would think have a high fat diet which I would think predisposes them to high uric acid content..if my thinking is right.
Do you know what the levels are in a mouse pup?

I think roaches levels are around 15. I'm not sure if crickets are the same?

I really have no idea, there is a good chance mice are much higher, but if crickets and roaches are gout risks and chams gobble them up, usually problem free, maybe the fear of animal protein is overblown? Then again, maybe the levels in a mouse are so much higher than an insect that it can't be compared. A while back, I think when you were gone, I posted a thing from someone who studies cockroaches. He said that they have the ability to turn any protein into uric acid and store it. They can then convert it back into protein when they need it apparently. And that the animal protein or vegan protein made no difference. He recommended only feeding roaches 4% of their diet in protein if using as feeders. Sorry, I'll have to find that, it was a long time. Tbh I'm sure most of us have fed our roaches more than 4% of protein, yet gout isn't extremely common.

As for the mice, the pinkies have lower fat, higher protein than adults, but adults have higher vitamin content by a good deal. The ratio changes as they age with these things. Mealworms and supers are apparently low gout risks, but are higher in fat. Crickets are lean on the other hand. Organ and red meats are risks though(you probably know all this already), so that makes a case for mice being iffy. I know my father in law loves tripe, but gets flare ups from eating too much.

Sorry for talking in circles, I don't know a ton about this, just a basic understanding.

Last edited:
Another reason why I only feed my roaches protein rich food either in larger amounts once a month, or very tiny amounts once a week. They do well for me without feeding everyday. Some species I have are considered more advanced, but I haven't had them for very long times so it's harder to tell how this does for them in the long run. It does seem roaches reproduce/grow faster with high protein diets which is unfortunate. Especially for species like therea that take up to 2 years to mature into adults.

I read somewhere that the uric acid levels in mice were up to 760 compared to a roach being 15... But I can't find it now....so you need to look it up yourself.

Will definitely look into it. I haven't fed a mouse yet, I like the idea of feeding small lizards better. Then again, I'd feel bad doing it :confused:.

I'd imagine those numbers could be very different though? What age mouse, size mouse, size roach, species of roach, diet of roach, etc... idk I'd have to look more into it.

@OldChamKeeper feeds his Parsons mice on an occasional basis and has for a while now I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Back
Top Bottom