Feeding a pinkie

JoXie411

Chameleon Enthusiast
Ok someone tell me what to do cuz I’m a little girl about this. Idk what scares me more moths of frozen mice. I don’t want to open the bad :eek: Also I had to get it at Petco an was anger when I seen 4 baby chameleons in a cage I sexed 3 boys and one girl I want to say they are you younger then 3 months
image.jpg

Um that is a fuzzy, not a pinky...

If you have the worlds most burly male veiled, or a parsons, please continue. Otherwise please make sure that is the appropriate size, as they can be 4 times bigger than a pinky.

Moving forward, my personal technique is to get some cotton string, tie it around some part of the tail, and fly it around the cage. Once you get a hit, like in fishing, yank, and you will end up with just a tail on the end of a cotton string.

another technique i have used, if said rodent floats, is to just float is in a finger bowl.

Um that is a fuzzy, not a pinky...

If you have the worlds most burly male veiled, or a parsons, please continue. Otherwise please make sure that is the appropriate size, as they can be 4 times bigger than a pinky.

Moving forward, my personal technique is to get some cotton string, tie it around some part of the tail, and fly it around the cage. Once you get a hit, like in fishing, yank, and you will end up with just a tail on the end of a cotton string.

another technique i have used, if said rodent floats, is to just float is in a finger bowl.
It’s extremely tiny not very big

I feed my guys a small worm and sneak the pinkie in as they are chewing. I have used frozen/ thawed twice so far haven’t tried live yet.

Why bother? an insect diet and proper supplements make a fine diet for chameleons. Feeding pinky mice provides little calcium as they are mostly cartilage and in that not much different than super worms. If you over feed you risk gout. Unnecessary risk unless you have huge chameleons and can't keep up any other way.
she just layed a clutch of eggs so I’m trying to get fat and vitamin a. Maybe it will help with the eye problems she’s been having

Vitamin A capsule or supplement will provide without the risk that mammal proteins will cause gout or kidney damage. Once probably won't hurt but I wouldn't make a habit of it. A hornworm and some multivitamin powder or straight vitamin A will do as much with out the gross factor. Has she had any antibiotic drops for the eyes yet? Vitamin deficiency can cause problems that also lead to secondary infection. You may need both treatments.
You may have gone over all this in other threads I'm probably walking in in the middle of the conversation.

Why feeding pinkies? Legit question for my own ignorance. I’ve heard of occassional feeder lizard for calcium.

And I saw a baby jackson’s today when i went in for eco earth. He looked so tiny and sweet and so scared... broke my heart to leave him.

The vets have not seen any signs of infection in her just a vitamin a problem due to poor supplements and gut load. I know there are vitamin a capsules but why when you can provide something that would happen in nature? That’s just my opinion if I’m going to mimic a natural habitat why not minic something that happens occasionally in nature anyways? I know it’s not a popular thing to do and I’m not planning on doing it all the time just once in a blue moon

Just wanted you to know the risks. They don't live as long in the wild as they doin captivity with proper care for a variety of reasons not just diet. I also wanted you to know you don't have to if it freaks you out.
I don't have snakes anymore because I found myself rooting for the mice. I never root for the crickets. :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom