Feeding A Chameleon

I know crickets are the usual food to feed chameleons (plus other insects) but I was wondering would it be harmful if I didn't feed my chameleon any crickets and instead used other insects like super worms, Dubai roaches, and wax worms (etc...), plus greens and fruits?

dubai are an excellent "staple" along with crickets.

wax worms and super worms are more in the "treat" category. So a few times a month is fine, but once they are more than 10% of the diet its not good. Mainly because you can not gut load them. You can also do other flying food, such as black solder flies, and blue bottle flies.

dubai are an excellent "staple" along with crickets.

wax worms and super worms are more in the "treat" category. So a few times a month is fine, but once they are more than 10% of the diet its not good. Mainly because you can not gut load them. You can also do other flying food, such as black solder flies, and blue bottle flies.
OK thank you!

Ok sweet thank you sm!

I belive @Gingero doesn't use crickets at all for her panther and parsons.

All of the above are good suggestions. You may find it difficult to get your cham into dubia roaches. I've only had one chameleon that likes them out of many chams that I've owned.

Green banana roaches were a good substitute, someone else mentioned these, too. Nick Barta with Full Throttle Feeders used to sell them, don't know if he still does.

I do my best to stay stocked up on silkworms and feed the moths if I can. Hornworms are good in moderation.

Pheonix worms (black soldier fly) larvae are great. When they become flies, they have less nutrition, but the chams love them. It's like a challenge for them.

Mantids are good if you can find an ooth and then separate the babies in deli cups once they hatch. They'll fight to the death lol

If you can find grasshoppers, which is hard in the states, they're great. My chams love them. You might consider catching your own and breeding them. Feed the nymphs to your panther and the adults when he/she is older. Just remove the back legs on the adults so you cham doesn't cut his mouth. The back legs have spurs (not sure if that's the technical term) that can cut cham mouths.

Snails I've read are good. I can't attest to this, though. I'm currently breeding them so we shall see.

With all these suggestions, you can breed them and keep yourself stocked up since some of them are harder to come by. You can save money that way. There's plenty of bug people that have posted blogs about breeding them. Just search google.

All of the above are good suggestions. You may find it difficult to get your cham into dubia roaches. I've only had one chameleon that likes them out of many chams that I've owned.

Green banana roaches were a good substitute, someone else mentioned these, too. Nick Barta with Full Throttle Feeders used to sell them, don't know if he still does.

I do my best to stay stocked up on silkworms and feed the moths if I can. Hornworms are good in moderation.

Pheonix worms (black soldier fly) larvae are great. When they become flies, they have less nutrition, but the chams love them. It's like a challenge for them.

Mantids are good if you can find an ooth and then separate the babies in deli cups once they hatch. They'll fight to the death lol

If you can find grasshoppers, which is hard in the states, they're great. My chams love them. You might consider catching your own and breeding them. Feed the nymphs to your panther and the adults when he/she is older. Just remove the back legs on the adults so you cham doesn't cut his mouth. The back legs have spurs (not sure if that's the technical term) that can cut cham mouths.

Snails I've read are good. I can't attest to this, though. I'm currently breeding them so we shall see.

With all these suggestions, you can breed them and keep yourself stocked up since some of them are harder to come by. You can save money that way. There's plenty of bug people that have posted blogs about breeding them. Just search google.

I believe nick is done selling roaches, last I talked to him that's what he said at least. Throwing myself out there a little, but I have loads of green bananas for sale. Will have giant bananas and speckled bananas available soon too :)

But do not feed a wild snail to your chameleon

YES! lol sorry I forgot about that. The reason I'm breeding them is to feed the young. Haven't fed the adults for fear of parasites, et cetera. With any wild caught feeders, it's suggested to breed them and feed the offspring since the parasites and such don't pass down.

I believe nick is done selling roaches, last I talked to him that's what he said at least. Throwing myself out there a little, but I have loads of green bananas for sale. Will have giant bananas and speckled bananas available soon too :)

YES PLEASE! I'll PM you

Wow thank you so much!! this helps so much!

YES! lol sorry I forgot about that. The reason I'm breeding them is to feed the young. Haven't fed the adults for fear of parasites, et cetera. With any wild caught feeders, it's suggested to breed them and feed the offspring since the parasites and such don't pass down.

YES PLEASE! I'll PM you
I might have to take you up on that soon haha

what is your pric8ng on the giant green bananas?

There is nothing wrong with feeding a fatty insect like waxworms to the chameleon as a treat once in a while. They actually need a bit of body fat to be able to use/store the fat soluble vitamins like D3 and vitamin A.

Back
Top Bottom