Feeding 1/4" crickets to babies

BocaJan

I have a 3 month ambilobe that is a baby of Goblin (poor dear) and have had her for almost a month. She looks like she is doing well, but certainly not eating in proportion to what I am feeding her. It is impossible to get the little crickets dusted, and any success I do have has got to be gone before she eats them. I have yet to see her eat although I see her lick leaves quite often. She looks like she is healthy and growing, but I can't figure out on what. Those frisky crickets are the biggest jumpers. The 3/4" ones don't jump like that at all, and are great to feed in a cup to my adults. This little girl is very special and I want to keep her well fed. Is there anything else you can suggest that I can feed her?

Last edited:
put them in a ziplock bag and sprincle them with the supplement.

After that shak very very lightly, then dump them in.

If that doesnt work give him them all but one un dusted and one heavaly dusted that is hand feed?..mabet just a diffrent stratagey.

A little bit of calcium goes a looooooong way.
It doesn't take very much to reverse the ration of calcium to phosphorous in crickets.
Also, 1/4" crickets don't have a terrible calcium to phosphorous ratio.
It's the larger crickets that have a 1:2, and pin heads are the opposite with a 2:1 and don't require dusting.
If you are worried about the calcium rubbing off, then you might want to adjust your gutload.
Try adding a bit of calcium to your cricket food. You can also rub it into fresh fruits and veggies.
I use the zip lock method too, but I will feed 15 adult chameleons with 100 crickets and only use a pinch of calcium.

I wouldn't worry about the slow growth all that much.
Some clutches or single chameleons just don't grow as fast as others.
This can be genetic or might have something to do with your husbandry.
If the animal is alert and feeding, then it's healthy.
Check for fresh stools inside the cage and if you see them daily she must be eatting.

Back
Top Bottom