Feeder or no feeder?

SueAndHerZoo

Established Member
Sorry for all the questions.... they will probably continue for the next couple of weeks so just tell me to "cool it" if it gets to be too much.

Should I get a cricket feeder for my veiled? On the one hand it would help me track if and how much he's eating and I'm guessing it's probably easier, but on the other hand, are we supposed to let them do what comes natural and hunt for their food? I'm just afraid if I continue to put crickets freely into the environment he won't find them as easily and they may just start living in the bioactive substrate. What's the consensus on feeders?
Sue

Feeders are highly recommended. If they learn to eat this way vs free feeding and you ever have a parasite issue you need to treat the cham for your chances of reinfection is much lower. Plus you can keep track of how well the baby is eating. Also at a young age if babies are left with crickets running in the cage they are at a higher risk of getting chewed on at night when they sleep and the crickets are hungry.

Feeders are highly recommended. If they learn to eat this way vs free feeding and you ever have a parasite issue you need to treat the cham for your chances of reinfection is much lower. Plus you can keep track of how well the baby is eating. Also at a young age if babies are left with crickets running in the cage they are at a higher risk of getting chewed on at night when they sleep and the crickets are hungry.
OK, ready to purchase. Instead of buying on impulse and then learning I made a bad choice, do you have a recommendation for me?
Sue

OK, ready to purchase. Instead of buying on impulse and then learning I made a bad choice, do you have a recommendation for me?
Sue
I like the Full throttle 3 inch feeders and the shooting gallery feeder by TK Chameleons. They each are different styles. So just what you prefer. The shooting gallery has to be mounted on screen.
The full throttle should be mounted on screen unless you get the magnet for the solid side enclosure mount.

Sorry for all the questions.... they will probably continue for the next couple of weeks so just tell me to "cool it" if it gets to be too much.
Arnold Schwarzenegger No Prob GIF

Should I get a cricket feeder for my veiled? On the one hand it would help me track if and how much he's eating and I'm guessing it's probably easier, but on the other hand, are we supposed to let them do what comes natural and hunt for their food? I'm just afraid if I continue to put crickets freely into the environment he won't find them as easily and they may just start living in the bioactive substrate. What's the consensus on feeders?
Sue
Your choice! 😁

I've made & tried both styles (FT and SG) and IME/O, neither is escape proof. You can still wind up chasing down escapees, and I've not seen an enclosure yet that's 100% escape-proof either. Fortunately, these kinds of crickets don't tend to live long on their own. 😥 (Whew!)

Also fortunate, there's a third choice—a piece of clear/translucent acrylic tube with one end sealed. Dimensions can vary, but basically you want a tube that's narrow and deep enough that the crickets can't jump out, but not so long that the cham can't ZOT the crickets inside the tube.

For everything else but crickets, some of us use a bird feeder from Petco.
1644349974783.png
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/you-and-me-plastic-bird-cage-cup
The smaller one for $1.50 works great. My cham can even see the food from beneath.

I've been using one type of feeder vessel or another for over a year, and he'll still go hunt down any escapees.

As far as burrowing/surviving in the bioactive... it may depend on species.

Arnold Schwarzenegger No Prob GIF

Your choice! 😁

I've made & tried both styles (FT and SG) and IME/O, neither is escape proof. You can still wind up chasing down escapees, and I've not seen an enclosure yet that's 100% escape-proof either. Fortunately, these kinds of crickets don't tend to live long on their own. 😥 (Whew!)

Also fortunate, there's a third choice—a piece of clear/translucent acrylic tube with one end sealed. Dimensions can vary, but basically you want a tube that's narrow and deep enough that the crickets can't jump out, but not so long that the cham can't ZOT the crickets inside the tube.

For everything else but crickets, some of us use a bird feeder from Petco.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/you-and-me-plastic-bird-cage-cup
The smaller one for $1.50 works great. My cham can even see the food from beneath.

I've been using one type of feeder vessel or another for over a year, and he'll still go hunt down any escapees.

As far as burrowing/surviving in the bioactive... it may depend on species.

Since I've had/have many different hobbies (all animal related) I have tons of stuff around. I found a small glass, open top suction cup container that I put in the cage and dropped in a few crickets. They can't seem to climb up the glass but Mr. Chameleon certainly noticed the movement, headed cross-cage to investigate, and helped himself to 3. Looks like this will work until I get one of the other types. :)
Sue

i posted this somewhere else a couple weeks back.
I just picked up a 4" plant holder you can screw into a post.
I glued it to the side of my enclosure (or, you can use a magnet on the outside).
It holds those plastic containers you get soup in (or can buy almost anywhere).
You can change cup sizes, or, if something cracks, just buy a new cup for a few cents.
I use the quart size as crickets cant jump out and its an easy hunt for the cham.
Just make sure you have a branch close to the edge of (or over) the cup.

IMG_4353-1.jpeg

IMG_4354-1.jpeg

Heres some Amazon links, though you can buy them many places...

https://www.amazon.com/Plant-Hangers-Outdoor-Indoor-Holder/dp/B0979BVYLL/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?crid=U8MB1LE5NN81&keywords=wall+mounted+planter+rings&qid=1644359375&sprefix=wall+mounted+planter+rings,aps,64&sr=8-17-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTVZUQ0tDQUdYRzRFJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDkwNDY4MlUzUUs4QUU1UEtGTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDgwNDMwMzhBQUU3TFUzU0tFRCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Containers-Microwavable-Food-Prep-Restaurant/dp/B08QDHG49Y/ref=sr_1_16?crid=126DK3OBMT1EV&keywords=quart+plastic+containers&qid=1644359468&sprefix=quart+plastic+containers,aps,68&sr=8-16

Basically the same as FT, but doesn't have to go on the screen. The one I made was a cross between the two. I used both halves of a take-out container (top cut in half) and plastic needlepoint fabric on the back wall.

Back
Top Bottom