Feeder cup

Daesie11

Chameleon Enthusiast
Where in the enclosure is the best place to put a feeder cup? I've heard a few people say it's good to have it near the main banking spot so they are in eye sight if the cham?

Where in the enclosure is the best place to put a feeder cup? I've heard a few people say it's good to have it near the main banking spot so they are in eye sight if the cham?
Mine is right across from basking branch, I hang it from top screen. Max eats much better since I moved it there.

Thanks guys! Do you use anything special for feeder cups? Or just a generic plastic cup?

I do not have a young cham and he refuses crickets. Since we are down to about 7 feeders every other day I have one of these which works really well for a few dubia and some BSFL https://www.amazon.com/EONMIR-Repti...der+cup&qid=1554734255&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-12
It would not work for crickets though. I used one of Nick Barta's feeder cups when he was younger and eating a lot more along with crickets. https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/product-page/magnetic-camo-feeder-cup

But you can just use any container. I would just make sure it does not have any sharp edges and if it is where water will spray in add some small drain holes to the bottom of it. :)
If you search feeder cup you will get lots of ideas on what can be used.

I use an Ovaltine container, holes drilled in bottom for drainage, two holes drilled in top for hanger, and I cut out a large opening in the front side (not too close to top or bottom otherwise they escape). I roughed up the inside back side plastic with a Dremel tool so the crickets can run up it. Works great. For worms, I use a worm bowl so they can't get out and I use some vine wrapped around to hold it. I feed silks and horn worms on branches, and I release flies into the enclosure for hunting enrichment. I'm going to try to breed grasshoppers and katydids this summer!

I do not have a young cham and he refuses crickets. Since we are down to about 7 feeders every other day I have one of these which works really well for a few dubia and some BSFL https://www.amazon.com/EONMIR-Repti...der+cup&qid=1554734255&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-12
It would not work for crickets though. I used one of Nick Barta's feeder cups when he was younger and eating a lot more along with crickets. https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/product-page/magnetic-camo-feeder-cup

But you can just use any container. I would just make sure it does not have any sharp edges and if it is where water will spray in add some small drain holes to the bottom of it. :)
If you search feeder cup you will get lots of ideas on what can be used.
you got Beman back on dubia?! I tried small red runners mixed in with crickets yesterday; dusted they looked practically the same so I thought no way will Max notice. Wrong. He picked off all the crickets and left every single red runner.

Yuck, then you have to remove roaches. Haha

Don't take this as criticism because I was like that too and totally get it, but it's funny we are all so OKAY with feeding and handling crickets, but many draw the line at roaches in disgust. Meanwhile, I bet there has been very few cases, if any, of roaches transmitting parasites/pathogens of any sort, biting, mass die offs, smelling, etc. Even maintenance is simple. The only downsides are possible allergies, which can happen with crickets too, or uric acid build up when fed wayyy too much protein.

Sorry, I go off topic easy lol. I don't use feed cups. Just free range/hand feed.

Don't take this as criticism because I was like that too and totally get it, but it's funny we are all so OKAY with feeding and handling crickets, but many draw the line at roaches in disgust. Meanwhile, I bet there has been very few cases, if any, of roaches transmitting parasites/pathogens of any sort, biting, mass die offs, smelling, etc. Even maintenance is simple. The only downsides are possible allergies, which can happen with crickets too, or uric acid build up when fed wayyy too much protein.

Sorry, I go off topic easy lol. I don't use feed cups. Just free range/hand feed.

I rather like the dubia, hissers (hissers are cool!), orange heads, surinams, and kenyans. I hate the red runners though, lol. Nobody will eat roaches at my house (although my daughter might be getting a beardie, maybe they eat roaches?), the red runners are going to go out to the chickens soon. I'll just keep the others and keep on feeding them, maybe someday Max will change his mind.

you got Beman back on dubia?! I tried small red runners mixed in with crickets yesterday; dusted they looked practically the same so I thought no way will Max notice. Wrong. He picked off all the crickets and left every single red runner.
Ohhhh yeah girl! I applied my mom knowledge to it. The hide the vegis trick I used on my daughter when she was younger. So he loves BSFL. I put the 4 dubia in the tiny feeder cup and then drop 4 BSFL right on top of them. He eats the dubia because he is going after the BSFL. :hilarious: knock on wood it has worked the last 3 feedings.

I rather like the dubia, hissers (hissers are cool!), orange heads, surinams, and kenyans. I hate the red runners though, lol. Nobody will eat roaches at my house (although my daughter might be getting a beardie, maybe they eat roaches?), the red runners are going to go out to the chickens soon. I'll just keep the others and keep on feeding them, maybe someday Max will change his mind.

Can always just sneak one into their mouth while chewing something else lol. Or play tough love and hold out until they take a roach.

Can always just sneak one into their mouth while chewing something else lol. Or play tough love and hold out until they take a roach.
Yeah I thought about that and tried but his cage sits way to high so by the time I get my hand up there standing on the step stool he is already done chewing the first feeder. Or the little tard thinks that since I am there and the door is open it is an invite to come hang out.

I'll probably try that when he's older (he's 5 1/2 months now.) I'm still working on getting him to trust me.

Yeah I thought about that and tried but his cage sits way to high so by the time I get my hand up there standing on the step stool he is already done chewing the first feeder. Or the little tard thinks that since I am there and the door is open it is an invite to come hang out.

Step stool? Short people problems :)

I have a mesh enclosure and found that plastic bird seed feeder cups are great to hang anywhere you like! I have mind right below the basking branch so Yoda can see when there’s a meal waiting. Easy to clean and move around.

Back
Top Bottom