Feeder cup?

Jhr226

I'm curious what people use as feeder cups for fruit flies? Mine easily climb the cup and escape. Also what feeder cups do you guys use for crickets? I currently just put some in the enclosure and let them free roam but I'm worried about one of my chams and want to make sure it's eating and I feel the cup will help me with that.

I use an opaque feeder "tub" at the bottom of the cage, with some sticks running across it. Its less than a foot deep, so any cham can get the exposed victims.

For fruit flies you could make a "detergent bottle bird house" with a 3-4" or bigger hole, with the fruit fly media at the bottom. This protects it from misting, and its opaque so the cham wont aim through the sides. And it would be real easy to clean, just unscrew the cap of the upside down tide bottle.

I use an opaque feeder "tub" at the bottom of the cage, with some sticks running across it. Its less than a foot deep, so any cham can get the exposed victims.

For fruit flies you could make a "detergent bottle bird house" with a 3-4" or bigger hole, with the fruit fly media at the bottom. This protects it from misting, and its opaque so the cham wont aim through the sides. And it would be real easy to clean, just unscrew the cap of the upside down tide bottle.

The fruit fly idea is really creative , ive never heard of that! :LOL: also ive noticed that the fruit fly culture starts to get cloudy like the food starts to get around the walls and everything and tends to look dirty. Is there a certain span of time i should use it? I feel unsure if i should keep using it or get a new cup at the store.

Honestly i just use the good ole:

Instant mash potatoes mix
yeast
some sugar

The good home made mixes will have yeast or vinegar as a mold inhibitor.

As long as its not molding you will be fine. A lot of sugary mixes will turn cloudy, that is fine, that means its fermenting.

Here is a nice write up complete with the coffee filter trick.

http://www.oneillscrossing.com/2014/05/27/culturing-fruit-flies-for-dart-frogs/

I'll have to give that a try! ;)How old till I should stop using the fruit flies?

Hi, I'm new too. Had my 3.5 month old veiled cham for a week. Your feeder set up sounds interesting. Can you post a photo? I live in Asia so not much inspiration in reptile stores here. Thanks

Hi, I'm new too. Had my 3.5 month old veiled cham for a week. Your feeder set up sounds interesting. Can you post a photo? I live in Asia so not much inspiration in reptile stores here. Thanks

3-birdfeeder.jpg

Then just turn it upside down so the very large cap is on the bottom for easy cleaning. If you make the hole as shown or a little larger, the cham can even poke their head in for a direct snack.

So you have crickets in there? It's a god damn nightmare getting the crickets into katos space, I'll have a crack at this! Thanks for getting back to me
☺️

Back
Top Bottom