Feeder colony suggestions

I'm new to insect breeding. My small colony of dubia is doing well. Once everything is setup I'll have 2 dubia colonies, 2 banana roach colonies, silkworm colonies (I have 1000 eggs on the way), consistently producing hornworms. I'm hoping this will be more than enough to feed my 4 chams, 2 bearded dragons, and their hatchlings. Will this be enough y'all think? or should I do more?

I'm new to insect breeding. My small colony of dubia is doing well. Once everything is setup I'll have 2 dubia colonies, 2 banana roach colonies, silkworm colonies (I have 1000 eggs on the way), consistently producing hornworms. I'm hoping this will be more than enough to feed my 4 chams, 2 bearded dragons, and their hatchlings. Will this be enough y'all think? or should I do more?

You really should do red runners, their soft bodied nature and reliable production make them nearly indispensable, especially for babies, they are a one size fits all roach.

A big roach like the ivory head or orange head will serve you well if you get into bigger reptile species.

You really should do red runners, their soft bodied nature and reliable production make them nearly indispensable, especially for babies, they are a one size fits all roach.

A big roach like the ivory head or orange head will serve you well if you get into bigger reptile species.
I admit, red runners freak me out a little 😂😂😂 They look like the roaches my aunt had in her house. I'll revisit them. Make sure they can infest my home.

If you plan on ordering from Kyle I'd recommend also getting Pallid roaches(Phoetalia pallida). They are cheap to get a large starter colony, breed extremely fast(most prolific species I've worked with) mature fast, are soft bodied and extremely lively roach.

If you plan on ordering from Kyle I'd recommend also getting Pallid roaches(Phoetalia pallida). They are cheap to get a large starter colony, breed extremely fast(most prolific species I've worked with) mature fast, are soft bodied and extremely lively roach.

Awesome! Thank you for the suggestion. You have great timing, I’m researching roaches right now lol.

Another question, what do y’all use for your heat source? I’m currently using heat mats. I was thinking about adding heat emitters or bulbs. Maybe trying heat tape. I can’t add a space heater because my babies will eventually live in that same space and I don’t want to be dependent on raising the temp in the whole room and then need to change it up. Plus…electricity bills 💸 lol.

Another question, what do y’all use for your heat source? I’m currently using heat mats. I was thinking about adding heat emitters or bulbs. Maybe trying heat tape. I can’t add a space heater because my babies will eventually live in that same space and I don’t want to be dependent on raising the temp in the whole room and then need to change it up. Plus…electricity bills 💸 lol.

Heat pads on the side of the cages works for me. Make sure the heater cover part of the cage that contains the substrate since some of the borrowers will dig next to it to feel warmer.

My hissers get a red heat light buy they are the only exception.

For tiny, non climbing, non burrowing feeders, I highly recommend Compsodes schwarzi. They are very prolific, active little things that are easy to breed and would work great for smaller predators, (adults are around 7 mms long). They just need moisture, lots of hides, warmth for the fastest reproduction, a steady supply of protein based foods, and they thrive. :) Females and nymphs can't climb, whereas adult males can fly and can climb, however after keeping them for years I've only ever seen them do the latter, and they try to run downwards and hide first.

Here are pictures of an adult pair:

Compsodesschwarzi%252318.JPG

Compsodes2020%25234.JPG

For tiny, non climbing, non burrowing feeders, I highly recommend Compsodes schwarzi. They are very prolific, active little things that are easy to breed and would work great for smaller predators, (adults are around 7 mms long). They just need moisture, lots of hides, warmth for the fastest reproduction, a steady supply of protein based foods, and they thrive. :) Females and nymphs can't climb, whereas adult males can fly and can climb, however after keeping them for years I've only ever seen them do the latter, and they try to run downwards and hide first.

Compsodes2020%25234.JPG
Those look to have nice coloring for attracting chameleons too.

Roachcrossing rubs me the wrong way a bit how he ghosts people mid conversation. I was going to make like a 300 dollar purchase and just never heard back after we talked for a little. He's done this on several occassions through the years. Idk, maybe something came up, but I can bet I have as much or more on my plate(as I'm sure plenty of people do)... I can at least message people back and let them know I'm busy when I don't have time. It's the least you can do for people that are happy to purchase from your business... There are great roach dealers out there that don't do this kind of thing.

Compsodes2020%25234.JPG

Whoa these are cool! Thank you for the suggestion.

Compsodes2020%25234.JPG
These are seriously awesome! I hadn’t even heard of these until today. Definitely interested.. 🤔

@summerseeking let me know how it goes with your silkies? I’m interested in breeding them myself. He ambient temps in my house during the warmer months are definitely right for it.

Compsodes2020%25234.JPG
These are seriously awesome! I’d never even heard of this species prior to today. Definitely interested.. 🤔

@summerseeking let me know how it goes with your silkies? I’m interested in breeding them myself. He ambient temps in my house during the warmer months are definitely right for it.

These are seriously awesome! I’d never even heard of this species prior to today. Definitely interested.. 🤔

Well if you ever want some, lemme know, I am currently selling from my culture, since I've got nothing to feed them to LOL!

Compsodes2020%25234.JPG
I really like the size of these. Are they like dubia, in that they won't reproduce in my house if they get free. It's the unspoken roach rule my pather has given me 😂

Back
Top Bottom