Feedback Wanted on New Enclosure! 😄

KatotheChameleon

Established Member
Hello my people!

Finally updated my Kato’s enclosure! What do you think? Can an enclosure be too busy? 😅

Also, please share your drainage ideas! Either photos or what you did for your enclosures. My plants have drainage but water accumulates at the bottom. I have doggie washable pee pads under it for now, and will change it out daily to ensure no bacteria has time to grow 😉

ALSO got an updated UVB light. It is a Reptisun T8 Terrarium Hood, 20” size. Is this good or should I try to find the T5 HO high output hood? The bulb I have in the T8 is a Reptisun 5.0 UVB.

Attachments

• 819E0877-865A-4599-94A9-B68B238F5B3E.jpeg
    819E0877-865A-4599-94A9-B68B238F5B3E.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 076B3BD8-7705-4ECD-8789-A4E5AFBF7E3D.jpeg
    076B3BD8-7705-4ECD-8789-A4E5AFBF7E3D.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 124
  • 588250DD-F616-4EA9-908E-A22388AE2480.jpeg
    588250DD-F616-4EA9-908E-A22388AE2480.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 131
Does not look too busy to me! Looks like a good amount of security. Also what is that rug thing on the bottom?

Edit i know theres gonna be stuff i missed to mention here but im in a rush

Does not look too busy to me! Looks like a good amount of security. Also what is that rug thing on the bottom?
It’s a puppy pee pad and turf 😅 I’m waiting for my husband to come home to help me drill a drainage hole but I am still nervous about how to set it up. I am thinking it needs to go on the bottom or on the side? I soak everything pretty good in the am and pm so I definitely need to get on an idea ASAP lol

You will need a 10.0 bulb if you stick with the T8 and 5-6 inches to the branch below it for it to be within the 2-3 UVI range.

Dragon strand makes drainage trays. You can do something like that or get something like this and hook a tube up to it for the water to flow out then put a bucket for it to flow into. https://www.amazon.com/DiversiTech-...SV2D0V11G1B&psc=1&refRID=48GR67TZ8SV2D0V11G1B
My husband and I will rig something up like this! I’ll also go back and get the 10.0 bulb. The reason I got this one is I couldn’t find a long UVB T5 light.

My husband and I will rig something up like this! I’ll also go back and get the 10.0 bulb. The reason I got this one is I couldn’t find a long UVB T5 light.
What is the distance you have to the branch? So this is often overlooked but very important when it comes to what UVB you actually use.

With a T5 you have to have a 9 inch drop to branch. OR lift the fixture to accommodate for it. but you need 9 inches for the correct UVI level.

A T8 with the proper bulb strength and distance is just as effective as a T5. It is a bit less bright but also it is cooler for heat output. But this again requires a specific distance to basking. 5.0 bulbs are fine on very small cages and the correct distance. But on your cage you want a 10.0 bulb. THen basking would be 5-6 inches down below the fixture.

A T8 10.0 can be used on a larger cage as well. Accommodating the correct distance.

What is the distance you have to the branch? So this is often overlooked but very important when it comes to what UVB you actually use.

With a T5 you have to have a 9 inch drop to branch. OR lift the fixture to accommodate for it. but you need 9 inches for the correct UVI level.

A T8 with the proper bulb strength and distance is just as effective as a T5. It is a bit less bright but also it is cooler for heat output. But this again requires a specific distance to basking. 5.0 bulbs are fine on very small cages and the correct distance. But on your cage you want a 10.0 bulb. THen basking would be 5-6 inches down below the fixture.

A T8 10.0 can be used on a larger cage as well. Accommodating the correct distance.
The UVB is 6-8” away, since that’s what I found on this forum as the range. It may have been an old thread, but I’ll work on lowering the vines a bit, and getting the 10.0 bulb.

The heating lamp is lifted with an arm, and it’s about 3” away from the screen so he doesn’t get burned. His basking spot sits around 85-90 F and the ambient temp is 70. Temps at night drop to 65. I made sure to get a heater for his turtle neighbor so I am able to get it cold in the room 🙂

I appreciate the feedback!

The UVB is 6-8” away, since that’s what I found on this forum as the range. It may have been an old thread, but I’ll work on lowering the vines a bit, and getting the 10.0 bulb.

The heating lamp is lifted with an arm, and it’s about 3” away from the screen so he doesn’t get burned. His basking spot sits around 85-90 F and the ambient temp is 70. Temps at night drop to 65. I made sure to get a heater for his turtle neighbor so I am able to get it cold in the room 🙂

I appreciate the feedback!
Wait a minute... If your using a T8 fixture and buy the 10.0 bulb you want a 5-6 inch distance at the closest spot.... Do not lower the vines or the cham will not get the correct UVI level.

ONLY if you get a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 bulb do you have to have a distance of 9 inches. It is a stronger fixture and output then a T8.

85-90 is pretty hot. This is for a Panther that is young right?

Wait a minute... If your using a T8 fixture and buy the 10.0 bulb you want a 5-6 inch distance at the closest spot.... Do not lower the vines or the cham will not get the correct UVI level.

ONLY if you get a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 bulb do you have to have a distance of 9 inches. It is a stronger fixture and output then a T8.

85-90 is pretty hot. This is for a Panther that is young right?
Right now I just have the 5.0 bulb. Have to wait till Friday to get the 10.0 bulb. ☹️
Sounds good about the UVB light. It’s between 6-8 inches, so he can choose to be closer or farther if needed.
Yes he is a Panther baby. He seems to like the higher temps. I had a bulb that made it 80-85 but he would always climb on the top of the screen to be closer to it, and I was worried about him burning himself. Since I upgraded the bulb, he will lay himself out on the ledge and bask. He could just be a weird one? Lol. I’ll play around with the height of the light and temps, and if I see him not wanting to be under the heat or hiding from the light, I’ll switch it back. I know panthers usually like it cooler, but I am just reading him and seeing what he likes. 🙂

Right now I just have the 5.0 bulb. Have to wait till Friday to get the 10.0 bulb. ☹️
Sounds good about the UVB light. It’s between 6-8 inches, so he can choose to be closer or farther if needed.
Yes he is a Panther baby. He seems to like the higher temps. I had a bulb that made it 80-85 but he would always climb on the top of the screen to be closer to it, and I was worried about him burning himself. Since I upgraded the bulb, he will lay himself out on the ledge and bask. He could just be a weird one? Lol. I’ll play around with the height of the light and temps, and if I see him not wanting to be under the heat or hiding from the light, I’ll switch it back. I know panthers usually like it cooler, but I am just reading him and seeing what he likes. 🙂
depending on where you got him from this may be why he likes the higher temps. Just ensure that you have a dripper running during the day so he has the ability to drink. This will help him not become dehydrated as well. And I would not push it too close to 90. That is really hot for a baby. Most of us do not go any hotter then 85 for an adult male.

depending on where you got him from this may be why he likes the higher temps. Just ensure that you have a dripper running during the day so he has the ability to drink. This will help him not become dehydrated as well. And I would not push it too close to 90. That is really hot for a baby. Most of us do not go any hotter then 85 for an adult male.
I do have a dripper going all day, just in case 🥰 I’ll raise the bulb more so the temp can go down, and just keep watching him. It was a reptillium place, and the inside of the store is pretty hot and humid because of all the reptiles they had, so I can see why he may like warmer temps. 🙂

I do have a dripper going all day, just in case 🥰 I’ll raise the bulb more so the temp can go down, and just keep watching him. It was a reptillium place, and the inside of the store is pretty hot and humid because of all the reptiles they had, so I can see why he may like warmer temps. 🙂
Just be cautious with this. Some do like it warmer and will seek it out if they are used to it. But babies can dehydrate easily. Be prepared to upgrade the enclosure by the time baby is 5 months old. :)

Back
Top Bottom