Feedback on my first set-up, please?

Is there a vent towards the bottom of the enclosure? I know I have read many comments from the more experienced members on the forum saying a glass enclosure is ok as long as there is ventilation at the bottom and top to create a stack effect... like a chimney, but a full screened enclosure is best for proper ventilation.

Is there a vent towards the bottom of the enclosure? I know I have read many comments from the more experienced members on the forum saying a glass enclosure is ok as long as there is ventilation at the bottom and top to create a stack effect... like a chimney, but a full screened enclosure is best for proper ventilation.
No, but yes. :) No vent at the bottom, but the top is screen and both the left side and right side are half screen/half glass. So ventilation from both sides as well as the top. Nothing out the bottom, though.
Sue

No, but yes. :) No vent at the bottom, but the top is screen and both the left side and right side are half screen/half glass. So ventilation from both sides as well as the top. Nothing out the bottom, though.
Sue
Awesome! I couldn't tell if it was screened or glass. Did you diy this build or buy it?
If you want feedback on everything, you can post a new thread in husbandry, fill out the husbandry questionnaire in full detail and some of the more experienced keepers will give you pointers. They have a wealth of knowledge to share and are awesome individuals.

Awesome! I couldn't tell if it was screened or glass. Did you diy this build or buy it?
If you want feedback on everything, you can post a new thread in husbandry, fill out the husbandry questionnaire in full detail and some of the more experienced keepers will give you pointers. They have a wealth of knowledge to share and are awesome individuals.
Actually the sides are 3/4 screen and 1/4 glass so I think he/she should be fine. I purchased it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y866155/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some things can't be seen in the vid (though I don't hold out much luck for the Schlumbergera at the bottom).

It would help immensely if you would copy/paste the following questionnaire from https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
and fill in your information (bold, italicize or color for clarity)

Also, could we see a better pic of your lighting? THX.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

• Your Chameleon - Veiled, too young to determine sex (about 2 months old), and have had him/her one week today.
  • Handling - When relocating from store to home and when moving from temporary cage to this cage.
  • Feeding - Small crickets that are offered all types of cricket enhancement foods, along with carrots, cucumbers, cereal. Dusting them with calcium (no D) and will dust with vitamin supplement WITH vitamin D twice a month. Offering as many crickets as he/she eats, about 6-10 per day.
  • Supplements - I believe the vitamin supplement is Reptivite, calcium powder is ZooMed.
  • Watering - Only watering thus far has been misting heavily before lights on and right before lights off and once mid-day. I have not seen him/her drink but have seen the stool and it looked good: some brown, some white.
  • Fecal Description - Firm brown turning to looser white. No vet visit yet.
  • History - Captive bred, two months old. No other info.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 24 x 18 x 36, combo. Top is screen, the two sides are 3/4 screen and 1/4 glass. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y866155/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
  • Lighting - Arcadia Pro T5 and 100w heat bulb. Will replace the 100 with a 60 when this one is no longer working. Plant light arriving tomorrow.
  • Temperature - Daytime bottom: 70 degrees, daytime top 85. Nighttime bottom 64, nighttime top 67 degrees.
  • Humidity -humidity average 30-40 day, 70-80 night. Digital hygrometer / thermometer.
  • Plants - Schleffera, Boston Fern, pothos, orchid, prayer plant, Christmas cactus. Will be purchasing a bromeliad.
  • Placement - Living room, two adults/no children. The AC behind the cage is covered with shrink wrap because we no longer use it. Cage is not located near the new AC unit nor any fans. Light schedule is 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Connecticut

Wonderful! Thx. I'm going to leave the first part (Chameleon Info) up to the veiled folks.

Cage Info:
That style of enclosure allows air to pass through, but won't generate a stack effect. If you can achieve & maintain temps & RH levels with it, it should do until the upgrade. You'll want 24" x 24" x 48"H OR 36" x 18" x 36"H minimum—or ideally, 48" x 24" x 48"H or larger.

Unless you live in a tropical/near tropical climate, I'd suggest a hybrid enclosure, as they're much easier to achieve & maintain temps & RH than all-screen enclosures. This would be solid walls & door except for a screened top and screened panel under the door or at floor/substrate level.

• Lighting - Arcadia Pro T5 and 100w heat bulb. Will replace the 100 with a 60 when this one is no longer working. Plant light arriving tomorrow.
Whether you need to change basking wattage will depend on how the 100W will meet basking temp needs. Basking wattage is always trial & error, but once you have it figured out, it shouldn't change unless something else does.

Plant light? Many of us like this one for a 24 x 24 x 48.

• Temperature - Daytime bottom: 70 degrees, daytime top 85. Nighttime bottom 64, nighttime top 67 degrees.
Basking temp? Should be low 80sF.

• Humidity -humidity average 30-40 day, 70-80 night. Digital hygrometer / thermometer.
Daytime could come up a little (40%-50%). Digital hygrometer / thermometer have a probe?

• Plants - Schleffera, Boston Fern, pothos, orchid, prayer plant, Christmas cactus. Will be purchasing a bromeliad.
(y) ...except that I'm not sure the Christmas cactus will make it.

• Placement - Living room, two adults/no children. The AC behind the cage is covered with shrink wrap because we no longer use it. Cage is not located near the new AC unit nor any fans. Light schedule is 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
That's a bit late (6am-6pm is ideal), but lets see how it goes.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/baby-chameleon-bedtime.186216/

• Location - Where are you geographically located? Connecticut
In that case, I'd definitely recommend a hybrid enclosure for the upgrade.

Looks like you're doing bioactive(?) That can help with some things.

Thanks for the feedback. Today is the first day in the new cage so I will be closely monitoring the fluctuations in temp and humidity, top and bottom, day and night. No, hygrometer does not have a probe. And the Christmas Cactus is just a few pieces that broke off of my mother plant - not really expecting them to make it but rather than toss them I stuck them in there. Yes, bioactive.... all my bugs arrive tomorrow. :)
Sue

I like the idea of that cage... With screen and glass combo. Would be ideal for a dwarf species. So yes, expect to upgrade the size of enclosure for adult veiled.

Wow.... certainly can't beat that price - I paid that much for two without a probe!
Sue
Yeah, the ones we've gotten have all been within 2°/2% (close enough for chams 😛) and if one happens to be or go bad (hasn't happened in the 2 yrs. I've had them) it's not a big deal.

My eyes are aging, so it's easier for me to see the larger numbers—especially across the depth of the enclosure. 🤓

I like the idea of that cage... With screen and glass combo. Would be ideal for a dwarf species. So yes, expect to upgrade the size of enclosure for adult veiled.
Finally - someone who likes the cage! :) I know everyone advocates for "all mesh" but I just really don't feel comfortable with that in Connecticut. The heat is on all winter and the AC is on all summer so it's always very dry in my house. I figured this was the perfect solution.

My plan is if I can provide the proper environment and care for this veiled, then I will move him/her into a larger enclosure and use this one for a carpet chameleon. :)
Sue

Back
Top Bottom