Falling while sleeping?

szpond

I read through a few previous threads, but unsure what to make of this tonight.

What causes a chameleon to move during the night, while asleep in complete darkness?

I checked on my Jackson's chameleon (around 10PM without harsh lighting) to see that he was somewhat hanging off the branch he fell asleep on. He had one back leg and tail firmly placed. Knowing not to disturb a chameleon's slumber, I left him. The enclosure is heavily decorated, I figured he'd easily grab something if he slipped. I didn't think he would, however.

Well, apparently he did. Checked on him a couple times and just found him (~2AM) halfway down his 5' enclosure hanging on in an awkward position. It was obvious he had fallen. I broke the rule and disturbed his slumber. Moved him onto a more secure branch.

I have taken precaution by placing towels at the bottom of the enclosure. Any ideas why the sudden issues while sleeping?

I have noticed chameleons move around while sleeping if a cricket is crawling over them. They will sometimes wriggle a bit to knock the feeder off. I would check everything in your chams routine though, from lighting, supplements, etc. and make sure that there are no grip issues or strange behavior for the next few days. It may not hurt to fill out the How to ask for Help form just so we can see if anything looks out of the ordinary.

Today he is weak. This is a complete change from recent behavior. The only issue I can think of is age at this point, he can be anywhere from 3-5 years old.

I am going to see how he reacts to a shower and food, I will be back later for the form likely on a new thread. I worry, my normal vet is closed today for the huge snow storm.

Back
Top Bottom