Fake Christmas tree as part of free range?

KLowery88

Avid Member
Might be a bit of an odd question, but could a fake Christmas tree be used as part of a free range? This is the one I would be using, obviously with lights and ornaments taken off:

20160202_084619.jpg

The few mentions of Christmas trees I was able to find here included worries about the fake needles, but this one has rather soft and brush like needles:

20160202_084629.jpg

So yea or nay? I'd love to be able to use it throughout the year if possible, but if it isn't safe I'll wait and find something else.

I would be afraid to use that. The needles might poke him/her in the eye. Ge something with soft leaves like a ficus.

Thanks for the quick reply Jann. The needles are very soft and pliable, sort of like a paintbrush, so is it the shape that causes you concern?

Just to many needles that still might damage an eye.

Okay, I'll keep looking for something broadleafed then. Hopefully Craigslist will turn up an unwanted fake tree that's more suitable. I haven't had any luck with craft stores.

Our Walmart and Michaels has them.

I've tried the Michael's closest to my home and they didn't have any trees, just the fake floral arrangement pieces. I'll see if another one farther out has any. I haven't specifically checked in Wal-Mart, but I'll look there as well. I rent, so I can't poke holes in walls or ceilings to hang anything, so I'm a bit limited to freestanding trees that I can hopefully link together with some vines.

I've tried the Michael's closest to my home and they didn't have any trees, just the fake floral arrangement pieces. I'll see if another one farther out has any. I haven't specifically checked in Wal-Mart, but I'll look there as well. I rent, so I can't poke holes in walls or ceilings to hang anything, so I'm a bit limited to freestanding trees that I can hopefully link together with some vines.

Try Amozon or eBay and search Nearly Natural Trees. I got a few that way and they are really nice trees.

Try Amozon or eBay and search Nearly Natural Trees. I got a few that way and they are really nice trees.

I found a couple on Walmart's website, looks like they might have some in stock close to me. A Nearly Natural 6ft ficus is what I think I'll go for since you recommend that brand. I'm looking forward to getting a free range set up, since I hope it will let me build some trust between me and my Veiled. He's gotten better since I upgraded to a larger cage, but I still think it contributes to him feeling cornered. With how his previous owner handled him, I have my work cut out for me.

I found a couple on Walmart's website, looks like they might have some in stock close to me. A Nearly Natural 6ft ficus is what I think I'll go for since you recommend that brand. I'm looking forward to getting a free range set up, since I hope it will let me build some trust between me and my Veiled. He's gotten better since I upgraded to a larger cage, but I still think it contributes to him feeling cornered. With how his previous owner handled him, I have my work cut out for me.

Also be cautious using a Christmas tree with any flocking on the needles. It might flake away and get picked up in droplets or on tongues. Keep looking for the fake Ficus. Check out garage sales, thrift stores, second hand stores, big box home improvement stores, and office furniture places. Even check the classifieds for offices going out of business sales. I made a free range for my melleri with a cluster of fakes surrounding one big live tree. I connected the trees together with natural branches from my yard. The chams used them all freely. Many fakes come mounted in impractical wicker baskets with "moss" to hide the base of the tree, so you may need to remove that stuff or cover the basket with a piece of plastic so it doesn't get saturated from spray.

Also be cautious using a Christmas tree with any flocking on the needles. It might flake away and get picked up in droplets or on tongues. Keep looking for the fake Ficus. Check out garage sales, thrift stores, second hand stores, big box home improvement stores, and office furniture places. Even check the classifieds for offices going out of business sales. I made a free range for my melleri with a cluster of fakes surrounding one big live tree. I connected the trees together with natural branches from my yard. The chams used them all freely. Many fakes come mounted in impractical wicker baskets with "moss" to hide the base of the tree, so you may need to remove that stuff or cover the basket with a piece of plastic so it doesn't get saturated from spray.

That's a good point about the office furniture stores, I'll check those out as well. A local plant nursery is having a sale so I'm likely going this weekend to see if they have any good deals on trees that will do well inside.

As for the baskets, would taking out the moss and adding some river rock help stabilize it? I'm sure it varies, but I'm not sure how prone fake trees are to tipping.

That's a good point about the office furniture stores, I'll check those out as well. A local plant nursery is having a sale so I'm likely going this weekend to see if they have any good deals on trees that will do well inside.

As for the baskets, would taking out the moss and adding some river rock help stabilize it? I'm sure it varies, but I'm not sure how prone fake trees are to tipping.

Some of my fakes tipped and some didn't seem to. As I attached my "clump" together with travel branches they didn't tend to move much. Putting a bunch of rock or bricks in the basket is a good idea.

Some of my fakes tipped and some didn't seem to. As I attached my "clump" together with travel branches they didn't tend to move much. Putting a bunch of rock or bricks in the basket is a good idea.

I have a ton of branches that I picked up from my parents' place after they trimmed their crepe myrtle recently, so I'll have some good stabilizers to use. My guy isn't nearly as big as a Meller's at least!

Back
Top Bottom