F2 T. Serratus and F1 T.Perreti

Chameleopatrick

Today was a great day!
After 12 years of keeping the Chameleon formerly known as Wiedersheimi now known as two species separate species T. Perreti (smaller of the two) and T. Serratus from the mountains of cameroon, an F2 Serratus was successfully hatched. : )
I had only one egg survive after a devastating heat wave this summer that unfortunately cooked several of my only remaining F2 T.Serratus eggs.
Not only did the Serratus hatch but 5 T. perreti hatched in the container right next to it! So here is a couple of picture I thought I would share. The T.Serratus eggs were almost twice as large as the Perreti and after hatching was about 50% larger.

Below is a picture comparing the two that hatched this morning. T.perreti on top, F2T.Seratus below.
SerratusVSPeretti_zps81f65fd4.jpg

Another of the T.Serratus
TSerratusF-2_zpsa4cfa5fd.jpg

The T.Serratus took 208 days to hatch while the Perreti took 184 days to hatch. The incubation temps varied between 66-72 degrees for both.

Last edited:
I would love to work with serratus or weidershemii. I have 5 month old boy from my WC female and a female runt that will not be able to breed.

I had no idea anyone had serratus right now.

WOW ...love seeing "new" species and people trying to propigate them in captivity. Thank you and congratulations. :cool:

Here's some of the kids a year later. Hey Chris A, If you have any fresh bloodlines, lets trade. What a wonderful little chameleon species...

11montholdPeretti_zps41a23e09.jpg

13montholdFemaleTPeretti_zps7fa558bb.jpg

CaptiveBred8montholdmale_zps4cd36f17.jpg

headshot_zps44fba480.jpg

Beautiful!!!. This is a way long shot but have you posted in the wanted section, in the classified, here on the forum? What have you got to lose?

15 month old female CB T. Peretti ready for a nesting site.
TPerettifemalereadytopop_zpsbb5844ae.jpg

13 month old male CB T. Peretti
TPerettimale8-2013_zps61596712.jpg

Getting restless
Iseeyou_zpsbb86497d.jpg

Some basic husbandry parameters that have proven effective for the captive environment are:

Daytime temps between 76-82 with a basking zone of 84-88.
Night time temps 66-69.
Humidity between 50-80% Sometimes higher for a period after the morning misting near 90%.
36" minimum height habitat.
Shows visible signs of heat stress when the ambient temperature is above 85. Lethargic weak behavior.
Extremely vulnerable to vitamin D3 Hypervitaminosis.
Varied diet of Dubia, Hydei fruit flies, house flies, Blue bottle flies, small meal worms, small crickets.
No wax worms. Wax worms seem to cause a digestive issue in which the wax worm doesn't become fully processed and is often discharged whole. YUK!
Average life span seems to be 2-3 years.
A healthy adult Male will consume approximately 10-12 eyedropper drops of water per day.

Last edited:
Fantastic enclosure and specimens Pat, are you going to breed the Perreti's? Where did you get the F2 serratus from?

Back
Top Bottom