eyes shrink in some

DragunzGirl

OK well i got a adult female from a guy like a month ago. She looked fine and all, well her eyes started sinking in some. IS that caused by lake of water?? I hooked up a new mister today and hope this helps. ALso she is VERY picky eater she wont eat alot for me should i be worried?

Sunken eyes are a sign of dehydration. You should get her well hydrated and then worry about the eating. Also you may want to fill out the How to Ask for Help info so the more experienced keepers can make sure your husbandry is ok. https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

her cage is fine i know that part i have other chams here. She is newest one here and she is the only one i ever had a problem with. I have a mister on the other cages but the one i did have on hers was a little old so i got a new one today. I was just making sure the sunken eyes were dehydration. Thanks

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - female veild
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? almost never, maybe just when i clean out the cage
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? crickets, baby supers, meal worms. She is picky.
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Rep-cal
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Mister and yes i see her dink
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? normal droppings, no not been tested
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen/wood its a home made
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Day glo
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? digital, around 89F or so
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I dont have nothing to measure that
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? live and fake, i got a live Photos
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? My bed room, Low traffic, no fans, air vents.
* Location - Where are you geographically located? GA

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
wanted to make sure what the sunk in eyes ment thats all. and she is very picky on eating should i be worried?? i try to give her lots of food but she wont eat but a tiny bit.

You said you use a dayglo...does it produce UVB? Do you have the same lights on all the cages?

It doesn't sound just like dehydration to me. Can you post some pictures? How old is she? Does she have a place to dig in her cage in case she needs to lay eggs?

so many things need to change. im going to post a care sheet for you to refer to. day glo does not have uvb. chameleons arent like any other lizard. they require a specific type of care and arent very lenient. i suggest you changing what needs to change and get some fluids/supplements in the girl asap.

Cage:24x24x48' SCREEN cage lots of rope, vines and live plants if you can. live plants will help with the humidity. make sure you cover the soil with screen. put cage as high up in the room as you can. not near any vents, fans or windows.

Lighting: 5.0 reptisun or reptiglo linear tube (length depends on cage size)/house hold bulb for basking. the house bulb wattage will depend on how far your nearest branch is from the light and your ambient room temps.
***change uvb bulbs every 6 months.

Temps: basking temp around 85* / ambient temps 72* measure by digital guages.

Hydration: manual spray 2-5 minutes/2-3 times a day. provide a dripper.

Feeders: gutload (24 hours before feeding) with fresh veggies and fruits and once a week with sticky tongues gutload. Crickets, mealworms, superworms, silkworms, hornworms, dubai roaches, reptiworms, BB flies.

Supplements: repcal calcium w/o d3 every feeding, repcal calcium w/d3 twice a month, repcal herptivite twice a month

are you sure you have a female? if so, you also need to implement a laying bin. even though she does not mate her body will produce infertile eggs that need to be layed.

Last edited:
dehydration can become bad quickly, so if you don't find another solution, as it does not sound bad now, you can take a small bowl, and fill it with small amount of water. just enough to submerge a cricket would be good. you can add a little bit of calcium powder to make the water milky, although that is not needed. then get the cricket thoroughly wet so that your chameleon's tongue will have trouble sticking. place both inside of your enclosure at the usual feeding spot (if you feed from a certain spot) and stir the water with your finger, as this will get your chameleon's attention. your chameleon should try to attack it over and over again, possibly drowning the cricket, but at the same time getting plenty of calcium water. hope this helps

sorry she has more than 1 bulb, one is uva and i have a long uvb also on cage. I forgot to put that. She is in a very large cage yes, home made screen/wood. THe new mister is doing alot better than the old one and she looks alot better now. Her eyes are not sunk in no more :).

yes she has a place to dig and she does dig. I would LOVE to post pics but i got to get my cam back, i let my boy friend barrow and well hes not around right now and i got to get it back :\.... I have pics of her when i got her but i dont have any new pics as of right now.

it is 100% female im a reptile nut so i do my research first before getting.

I can post the pic i have of her when i first got her
DSC03290.jpg

You said..."yes she has a place to dig and she does dig."...is she digging a hole or just messing around in the substrate in the container?

it sounds ok

My chameleon did that when he wanted water he was also a fussy eater its ok at the moment but if it persists i think you should take her to the vets as you need to make sure she is eating and drinking regularly.

Back
Top Bottom