Eyes problem after sheeding

bluemooon

Eyes problem after sheeding - updated with recommended informations

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther-Ambilobe, male, 3.5 months. How long has it been in your care - 1.5 month?
Handling - Not often, but in last 2 weeks I had to handle him to put saline and gentamycin drops in his eyes and he was stressed because of it
Feeding - Brown and black crickets,super worms, smal lateralis? 10-15 a day. Mostly in the morning, but super worms when I foud some that sheeded, because he want eat them if they are not white. I am giving apples and carrots to feeders.
Supplements - Since I am in Eastern Europe, I am giving him what I can find here - Pure kalcium carbonate dust for humans, Nekton, Sera Reptiminerals c http://www.sera.de/us/products/terrariums/care/minerals/sera-reptimineral-c.html .Trayng to give pure calcium every day, with the rest I am mixing,few feeders 2 times a week.
Watering - Spraing and and rain drop bowl on the top? 5-6 times a day, 1-2 minutes.It is a small cage? Yes he is, poop is ok.
Fecal Description - Brown-white, sometimes have 20% of orange and 80% white. Parasites-No, I do not have possibility to do that.No reptile vets here
History - One sheedeng before, three weeks ago, it was a problem with the eye but different.Here is that thread https://www.chameleonforums.com/baby-panther-eye-infection-please-help-56201/#post527254 He just recovered, and now the new problem.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen, image is attached. The door ant top are open, and two windows on sides. I have to say it in centimeters 45x50x45
Lighting - Reptile spot 45w, and Silvania uva,uvb 0,5% http://www.aquaristikshop.com/e_Produktinformationen/Sylvania-Reptistar.htm Daily lighting schedule-12 hours
Temperature - From 70-86 Fahrenheit Lowest overnight temp - 68? Analog thermometars, but checked with digital too
Humidity - I am trying to keep it at least 50%, but have to spray offten to increase it. I am spraying every time the plant is dry,have water on the top of cage to drop like rain, in the last time I put at the bottom coconut supstrate covered with paper towels to try to increase it. What do you use to measure humidity-two analog hydrometars, checked wit digital too.
Plants - Are you using live plants-yes, Sheflera
Placement - No traffic,70 cm from the ground. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor - 120cm
Location - Eastern Europe - Serbia?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

My 3 month old panther sheed fast, in one hour or two, but this time on his right eye skin remained, and there is some buldge on the left eye after sheeding. I am trying to drop some phisiological saline on his eye, but it's not helping. What can I do. Last sheed before this also caused different eye problem,and I used gentamicin drops to avoid infection, but new sheeding brought new problem.

I would really appreciate any help. In my country there are no reptile vets, so I have no posibility to get some medical help. I am depending from you guys :(

Attachments

• left eye.jpg
    left eye.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 229
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
The eye with the shed I wouldn't worry about it will come off. The eye with the bulge looks like he might have something in there. How often do you mist? I would put him in the shower for 10-15 minutes with luke warm water. Point the shower head at the wall, the humidity and the spray will hydrate the eye and give him the opportunity to get it out. Try this for a few days if this doesn't work maybe you should see a vet. You should probably fill out the "how to ask for help" form. Most people request this, it makes it easier to assess the situation. This is my opinion based off of your pictures only. The "how to ask for help" form will give everyone more information. It could be a few thing. Hope this helps :)

I agree with Hugh, it looks like some bit of debris inside his turret. If you have no vet in your area, Id suggest carefully and very gently flushing the eye with sterile saline or just water. If it persist, consider the possibility of infection, which only a vet can confirm.
You might try using terramycin drops if a vet is not an option. Im afraid not nearly enough is known about eye issues that can be attributed as cause,
Most eye issue threads end when flushing works, or not, generally theres a vagueness about how to prevent them.
Personally I beleive Humidity, rather, lack of it is behind 90%, but we are yet to hear from the vets about it.
Best Wishes :)

let nature take its course with shedding. we all want it gone cause it doesnt have the best appearance but it is best left alone. its when we intervene with dirty hands, non sterile tools and etc that we then usually cause more problems.

your local humidity along with your 2-3 for 2-5 minute misting a day and live plant is fine for humidity levels. no need for the coconut and moist paper towels.

your spot light needs to be replaced with a normal house bulb or flood if you wish.

let nature take its course with shedding. we all want it gone cause it doesnt have the best appearance but it is best left alone. its when we intervene with dirty hands, non sterile tools and etc that we then usually cause more problems.

your local humidity along with your 2-3 for 2-5 minute misting a day and live plant is fine for humidity levels. no need for the coconut and moist paper towels.

your spot light needs to be replaced with a normal house bulb or flood if you wish.

Thank you all for answers.

Actually, I've changed spot light today and put 60w house bulb. I am only concerned how to protect him from eye infection.
I will try tomorow warm shower,but I do not like to stress him. I am not sure if I can use shower for 3 month old cham.Is he too young for shower?

nice clean cage and good care will be a good start at protecting against potential infections.

It is a clean cage. I am really all day around him.
The right eye, not sheeded one, he can't rotate, it is stucked somehow . May I help him manually in any way?

The problem is still here.The right eye with skin left on it, can't move or close. I am giving him hot showers for two days, but it doesen't help.Are there anyone who has idea what to do?

Problem is still present. Not sheeded eye want move.I started with getamycin ointment.It helps a little, but the left eye is not good also.
I tried worm showers, phisiological saline, increased humidity. What else I can do?

Attachments

• DSC08742.jpg
    DSC08742.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC08745.jpg
    DSC08745.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC08749.jpg
    DSC08749.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC08747.jpg
    DSC08747.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 151
Problem is still present. Not sheeded eye want move.I started with getamycin ointment.It helps a little, but the left eye is not good also.
I tried worm showers, phisiological saline, increased humidity. What else I can do?

My veiled had a blockage in her duct that connects the nasal passage to a duct near her eye... Had about a fruit fly sized buildup of gunk taken out... Swelling went down almost immediately after they removed it at the Vets office..

That eye looks very similar to my Chams eye before i took her in...

Just a thought....

Back
Top Bottom