Eyes closed.

terrahm

Currently in full mom panic mode. Both of his eyes were closed, he might've been sleeping, I know this is a sign of severe internal sickness. They weren't closed for long, I just checked on him an hour ago and when I came back into my room they were shut. His eyes aren't sunk in, he's not dehydrated, his urates are white, his joints are sharp with the right UVB, could it be a vitamin a deficiency?? He eats so well he's never had a problem, the only thing is he is very defensive and territorial.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
    Veiled cham. He's male, and about 4 and a half months old. I've had him since January 29th on his two month birthday.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
    I don't. I handled him maybe twice, once when I got him and once to take him outside in February. He's scared of me, warming up a little bit but gets defensive when I open his enclosure.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
    Right now only 1/4 size crickets and BSFL. I switched to only feeding him once a day a few weeks ago, and he eats about 8-10 bugs in the morning. I gut-load my feeders fresh everyday with mango, kale, green beans, alfalfa, and baby carrots.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
    I supplement my crickets only with repti-cal without D3 at every feeding. I dust with repti-cal with d3 and rep-cal herptivite multivitamin alternating every friday. I was told it's not necessary to dust the BSFL. I just switched to the reptivite since I was told the herptivite lacked vitamin a.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
    I hand mist. I'm 16 and unemployed and currently saving up to upgrade to a Mist King asap. I mist twice a day a few minutes before his lights turn on and a few minutes before they turn off for about 3 minutes. He drinks everytime! He also has a little dripper that I have going off during the day.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
    He has beautiful poops. A nice brown color, hydrated, and his urates are usually always white. He's never been tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
    Nothing really! He's pretty chill. I haven't had problems with him and we both have a mutual respect for eachother. He'll hand feed, tong feed, and cup feed without hesitation.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
    Screen custom enclosure. Unfortunately when I first got him he had a chameleon kit sized enclosure (I didn't buy the chameleon kit, just the same size enclosure). His new enclosure is 2x2x4.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
    I have a flukers heat lamp hood with a 65w house lightbulb and a reptisun T5HO linear uvb bulb. His lights are on a timer that goes from 9am-9pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
    His basking spot is anywhere from 80-82 degrees. The floor is around 74. The lowest it gets overnight is 69-70. I measure these temps with a temperature sticker and two zoo med digital thermometers.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
    Humidity during the day is usually 35-41% I use a dehumidifier during the day since I live in a very tropical area and before I used the dehumidifier it would be as high as 50%. During the day his humidity is up to 85-90%. I use a zoo-med digital hygrometer.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
    Yes. Caesar loves to chomp on plants. He has an umbrella plant and two pothos plants. Lots of bite marks.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
    My cage is located in my bedroom, very low traffic area. I'm in there all day working and doing online school and he never seems to mind my presence. The cage is slightly taller than I am, I'd say the top is about 5'6 off the ground.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
    East coast of Florida. Very hot and humid here.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Both of his eyes were closed. I can make a vert appointment ASAP but i'm trying to figure out where I could've gone wrong. I'm so scared for him.

You husbandry is on point except d3. If you feed him every friday with d3 thats too much. Thats 4 times a month. Gove him every second friday (twice a month). Have you tested him for parasites?

You husbandry is on point except d3. If you feed him every friday with d3 thats too much. Thats 4 times a month. Gove him every second friday (twice a month). Have you tested him for parasites?
I don’t feed D3 every friday. D3 one friday, multivitamin the next. I just switched to the reptivite with D3 so i will only feed that to him twice a month on the 15th and on the first. He’s never been tested for parasites.

Please post a couple of photos of him and of the cage.
I’m on my computer so I don’t have enclosure pictures I can attach those at a later time, here are some pictures of him. (the exo terra branch pictured has been removed)

Attachments

• C7482490-9C82-48E9-BC04-D3B98A33241B.jpeg
    C7482490-9C82-48E9-BC04-D3B98A33241B.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 628C9307-DF5A-41B7-92FC-928163B4D22A.jpeg
    628C9307-DF5A-41B7-92FC-928163B4D22A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
  • 96F9CFF8-FC8D-4FA0-9FB6-39B92A633570.jpeg
    96F9CFF8-FC8D-4FA0-9FB6-39B92A633570.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 101
I don’t feed D3 every friday. D3 one friday, multivitamin the next. I just switched to the reptivite with D3 so i will only feed that to him twice a month on the 15th and on the first. He’s never been tested for parasites.
Oh okay, sorry. I would test him just to be sure. Does he have enough plants and leaves in his enclosure. When chameleons feel extremely unsafe they tend to try to go to sleep..

Oh okay, sorry. I would test him just to be sure. Does he have enough plants and leaves in his enclosure. When chameleons feel extremely unsafe they tend to try to go to sleep..
Taking him to an exotic vet tomorrow to get fecal tested and anything else they wanna take a look at. I'll try to get those enclosure pics asap!

This could be a long shot but how what strength uvb bulb are you using and how many inches away is your basking branch from your lights? I know that veileds have a tendency to get super close to their lights to get as much heat as possible, so if your highest branch is too close to the top it could be possible that he's getting too much uvb and it's hurting his eyes. Besides that I don't have anything to add, your husbandry looks great!

Wow.. you learn something new every day on here . Had no clue they rush to sleep when feeling unsafe !!
Glad you learned something new! Well yeah when they feel like there is no way out they just try to shut down completely.. You can notice pictures of baby chameleons on social media that are on someones hand and its middle of the day and the chameleon is sleeping. And then the quote goes: he believes me so much he are comfortable sleeping on me awww.. Well no he just thinks he’s done. 😂

Back
Top Bottom