eyes closed veilied

mini031

I got my baby one week ago, started with the one eye closed, called the breeder and she said she sold me one with an eye problem and she can treat that for me and trade him out, but i have to bring him back next show , no problem, now both eyes are closed and do not open and she has walked me through how to open them and i can not, he can not see, so he doesnt eat since he cant see his food :( the show is 6 more days away and i am afraid he wont make it if he is not eating anythign! i was told to try some baby food, any advise?

Welcome to the forum. Can you copy ,paste andn complete the form that Ataraxia gave you. That way we will have more idea about him and be able to help you.:)

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The speciesVeiled, sex male, and age of your chameleon4 months. How long has it been in your care?1 week and one day
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? daily
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?crickets What amount?10-15 a day What is the schedule? early eveningsHow are you gut-loading your feeders? no gut load
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? dont have that on me it is at home cant rememeber the name, the one with no d3
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use?misting with water bottle How often and how long to you mist? twice a day and about a minute Do you see your chameleon drinking?yes i have
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.it was brown with white on the end (4 days ago) Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 20 tall, screen top
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 10.0 uvb and 75 watt heat, dont remember brands right now
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no live plants
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? the tank to the floor is about 6 feet, it is near the kitchen not a high traffic area.
Location - Where are you geographically located? In Illinois, by Chicago

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. ( I got him one day one week ago, after two days his one eye was closed, I called the breeder and let her know and she said she sold me a chameleon with an eye problem, Then as of saturday, both eyes are now closed, she has walked me through how to open them but i can not, they are not sunken in eye closures, so now he can not see so he can not get to his food :( I was told i can give him baby food, but I am unsure about which baby food was ok to give him. He is going back to the breeder but she is unable to meet until saturday I just need to make sure that he can make it until saturday , so she can treat him

Incorrect cage, temps, hydration could all be all playing a part in why your veiled has its eyes closed.

With a 75 watt in a 20 tall glass aquarium. Your temps are way to high. You need to invest in a good digital thermometer with a probe and a screen cage. It is extremely important to have your temps correct. To high will dehydrate (causing eyes to close). To low the animal will be inactive. Screen allows you to give a temp gradient and allows a good air flow in which these guys need.

Water, i know right now you cant with your set up but this needs to improve. They cant drink from a bowl of water. So you have to provide it to them via mist that fall onto the head and runs onto lips or drops of water on the leaves within the cage.

This right here would be a excellent start for you. You truly need to read this and change what needs to change within your care. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

will do thank you, i followed what the breeder told me to do as far as set up and lighting and tank.

Back
Top Bottom