Eye problems

Karyme18

So I am taking my chameleon to the vet soon cuz her left eye has been giving her some discomfort. I just wanted to see what you guys think it is.
So on Friday I noticed her not be able to see out of her left eye so I misted her for about 10 minutes to see if that would help. She was able to see fine and she was walking around her cage. But today I noticed that she was not able to see again and there is like a clearing film over her eye. When she blinks a bubble forms which worries me. Do you guys know what that might be? I am purchasing saline solution tomorrow to see if that will help because she has been scratching it on her perch sometimes.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
◦Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
◦History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
◦Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
1The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2Photos can be very helpful.

I have a veiled chameleon, female and around 3-4 months old. I’ve had her since December.
I hold her about once a week.
I feed her superworms (7-8 a day), hornworms (1 a day), crickets about once a week. I hit load my feeders with carrots and kale.
I feed her calcium once a day and vitamins and calcium with d3 about 2-3 times a month.
I mist her 2-3 times a day for about 5 minutes. She drinks every time I mist her cage.
Her fecal is brown with white at the end and she has not been tested for parasites.
The petco I bought her from was not feeding her properly or taking care of her properly and when I got her I did get the wrong information and had the wrong lights and cage set up. She does has signs of MBD because of the lighting I had.
She has a 3ft tall cage I’m not sure how wide and it’s all screen.
Her lighting is a red heat lamp and a zilla tropical 25 UVB T8 fluorescent bulb. 12 hours on 12 hours off.
Her basking spot is around 90F and the rest of her cage is usually about 75-80F.
At night time the temperatures drop to around 60-65F.
Her humidity is about 30-50%.
I have a live pothos plant and some fake plants for her to climb and hide in.
Her cage is in the corner of my room on top of a seat that is about hip level off the ground. There is no wind or drafts near her. It’s a low traffic area and I am living in New York right now.
So I misted her for 10 minutes and I just checked up on her now and she has this like gooey looking gunk in her eye right now I’m not sure how to get it out. I think it might be puss but im not 100%. I don’t wanna harm her by trying to get it out with anything . I am calling tomorrow to take her to the vet.
C021001D-3B20-4508-B605-7CBBD8901E6E.jpeg

Last edited:
You can use a basic eye saline to help till you see a vet sometimes not enough humidity can cause eye problems to

You can use a basic eye saline to help till you see a vet sometimes not enough humidity can cause eye problems to
I buying some saline today actually I’ve been reading about that helping out the eye. And I was reading into how to keep the mesh cage more humid. I’m going to start using a drip system and maybe a vaporizer or something.

I buying some saline today actually I’ve been reading about that helping out the eye. And I was reading into how to keep the mesh cage more humid. I’m going to start using a drip system and maybe a vaporizer or something.
There are better/other ways of maintaining humidity in your screen viv. Post a pic of your entire setup and we’ll help you!

Thank you. My chameleon is just climbing down so don’t mind her. But I do know I need more plants and vines which I plan on getting very soon. I covered the sides of her cage with plastic garbage bags to keep heat and humidity in too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 210
Thank you. My chameleon is just climbing down so don’t mind her. But I do know I need more plants and vines which I plan on getting very soon. I covered the sides of her cage with plastic garbage bags to keep heat and humidity in too.
Her eye problems could very well be caused by your red light you have on her as well. Those have been known to cause eye problems and even blindness in some cases. She needs a white basking light. Halogen, floodlight, basking bulb will all work but please get rid of the red light ASAP

Her eye problems could very well be caused by your red light you have on her as well. Those have been known to cause eye problems and even blindness in some cases. She needs a white basking light. Halogen, floodlight, basking bulb will all work but please get rid of the red light ASAP
Alright I’ll change the light today I do have the other halogen bulb. Thanks for telling me

Alright I’ll change the light today I do have the other halogen bulb. Thanks for telling me
Awesome! So in closing swap out that red light, try dusting with Repashy Vit A Plus once or twice a month (it's important not to overdue the Vitamin A because they can OD on it), and try a cleaning with some saline solution. If it gets worse or doesn't start to improve I would definitely take her to the vet.

Awesome! So in closing swap out that red light, try dusting with Repashy Vit A Plus once or twice a month (it's important not to overdue the Vitamin A because they can OD on it), and try a cleaning with some saline solution. If it gets worse or doesn't start to improve I would definitely take her to the vet.
I’m buying the saline solution right now. I’ll get the vitamin A dust this weekend. Thanks for helping me I appreciate it!!

No, this is her eye we’re talking about here, you can’t just wait around and hope it looks better. This needs to be examined by a vet soon.

Back
Top Bottom