eye problem, baby veil.

intergalatical

i noticed when i got home today that one of his eyes was partially shut, he had his other eye wide open..i'm not sure if maybe he just rubbed it the wrong way or something...what should i do? he has it sort of cracked open...

This is a very common symptom for all kinds of possible problems. It is very hard to say what the specific problem could be. It is possible that he rubbed his eye the wrong way, but the odds are that he is suffering some kind of internal problem - most likely dehydration.

Four weeks is too young. I would not buy a chameleon under 2-3 months. I do not have much experience with chams this young so hopefully some other people have some advice. Has he been drinking? What are your humidity levels, etc?

You will get better help by providing some details of your setup: [THREAD=66]help us help you[/THREAD]

Well, his setup is as followed...

a all mesh cage, a cheap dripper, two plastic leaves bundles, one long vine, one live small plant..i mist the cage down several times a day..i plan on ordering a habba automatic mister tomorrow..i'm feeding him pinhead crickets with slight dust..his eye was fine yesterday and when i came home today, i noticed it was slightly shut..he's a nice bright green color as of right now..he's moving around and what not..so hopefully maybe he got sprayed in the eye a little or rubbed it on something...

he now looks like he has a small lump inside the shut eye...it seems to be getting progessivly worse... maybe i stepped in over my head and purchased too young of a chameleon :(

How is your humidity? Lighting and temps?

I can't say for sure without seeing a good picture, but what you describe sounds common. Chameleons will do that to try and clean and or remove something from their eye. Proper humidity can help. Monitor closely.

From all the people I have talked to who have purchased the habba mister, most people wished they didn't. Most end up throwing it away and buying a more expensive model.

Brad said:
How is your humidity? Lighting and temps?

I can't say for sure without seeing a good picture, but what you describe sounds common. Chameleons will do that to try and clean and or remove something from their eye. Proper humidity can help. Monitor closely.

From all the people I have talked to who have purchased the habba mister, most people wished they didn't. Most end up throwing it away and buying a more expensive model.

what would be your recommendation then? i'd like to purchase something that will take care of the misting needs...price really isn't a issue...

the tempature of the room is 78, inside certain spots is around upper 80s where the basking light is, the humidity isn't that great due to the fact i can't figure out how to keep the humidity higher with an all mesh cage...

For future reference, it is a very good idea to have your setup ready and tested before purchasing a new cham. Chameleons are very delicate, especially at 4 weeks, and its just a good idea to have the environment ready.

What are your current humidity levels in the cage? People in dry areas like you (zona) have to work harder at providing proper humidity levels.

A lot of people use higher quality misting systems. The RainMaker comes to mind. I think Big Apple Herp also sells a system.
Rain Maker
Big Apple

Some people also use humidifiers to help increase humidity.
Walmart

yessssssssssssssssss! his eye is almost fully open! last night when i took a hot shower i moved his cage into the bathroom to allow him a good dose of humidity, today i kept his light on all day and made sure the cage had plenty of moist items in it...i did my own little research on improving humidity and got it all nicely done and now he's looking alot better...today i'm purchasing a humidifier, a good one...thanks for the help guys!

Habba Mister

I have a habba mister, and I like it. It doesn't do a thing for my humidity, but my cham waits for it to come on and goes to drink off the leaves when he hears it running. He has a dripper too, but apparently he likes the showers!

i think i might try the habba mister, through out the day there are times i wish i could spray in there so he has more water to drink, so i just might invest in it. i purchased a humidifier for the humidity and moved his location and he seems to be a 110% happier now.

Heika:
How long have you had it? The complaint I remember most is that it would break easily. Maybe they are making them better now.

Back
Top Bottom