Eye issues/swollen casque (anything that will help)

Not a bad keeper. Just were given bad advice. However, keep in mind that as I said, I’m really not very experienced with things like this so all I can tell you to do is not give any more supplements and hydrate to try and flush his system. I don’t believe your cham has gotten toxic levels of D3...just enough to cause the edema. In the morning the experienced keepers should be on and can offer you much better information and advisement.
It would help to know how often you are using each supplement and what type of uvb you have.
Also, although Repashy is a great brand imo, there are anecdotal reports of some of their LoD supplements possibly causing edema in some veileds. I believe it caused gular and eye edema in one of mine.
Yeah and I’m pretty sure edema is totally fixable, if that’s the problem

@Landen Hi there... He is extremely overweight. He needs to be put on a diet. Do not feed waxworms at all and drop the superworms. Your going to do crickets only... You want to start buying smaller feeder size. So if your doing large feeders drop this back to small. You will feed him only 3 small feeders three days a week. If the crickets are a medium to large size feed only 2 three times a week. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday only. No more then this. It will take some time for him to drop weight so that it is visible to you. It is very important that he remain on this diet. Obesity in chams causes organ issues because the fat ends up pushing in and up on the organs. It wraps around them and reduces their ability to function. This is where fat goes first is the body cavity, once it has done this to the casque he is considered extremely obese.
A healthy Veiled should only have 3 feeders every other day and no fatty feeders. We over feed our chameleons. They do not need to eat so much when they are adults because they are not growing so it converts to fat.

Per the supplements you were providing too much D3. But I believe the eye issues to be from his weight.

If you can buy all new supplements you will get calcium without D3 and then something like Reptivite with D3. The reptivite is the multivitamin and the calcium with D3. This would be given 2 times a month so every other week. And then all other feedings would be using the calcium without D3.
OR just buy the calcium without D3 and keep the repashy calcium plus but you only use the calcium plus 2 times a month every other week.

@Landen Hi there... He is extremely overweight. He needs to be put on a diet. Do not feed waxworms at all and drop the superworms. Your going to do crickets only... You want to start buying smaller feeder size. So if your doing large feeders drop this back to small. You will feed him only 3 small feeders three days a week. If the crickets are a medium to large size feed only 2 three times a week. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday only. No more then this. It will take some time for him to drop weight so that it is visible to you. It is very important that he remain on this diet. Obesity in chams causes organ issues because the fat ends up pushing in and up on the organs. It wraps around them and reduces their ability to function. This is where fat goes first is the body cavity, once it has done this to the casque he is considered extremely obese.
A healthy Veiled should only have 3 feeders every other day and no fatty feeders. We over feed our chameleons. They do not need to eat so much when they are adults because they are not growing so it converts to fat.

Per the supplements you were providing too much D3. But I believe the eye issues to be from his weight.

If you can buy all new supplements you will get calcium without D3 and then something like Reptivite with D3. The reptivite is the multivitamin and the calcium with D3. This would be given 2 times a month so every other week. And then all other feedings would be using the calcium without D3.
OR just buy the calcium without D3 and keep the repashy calcium plus but you only use the calcium plus 2 times a month every other week.
Thanks for the advice. I’ll start him on a diet now like u said but also id like to add this might be dry eye, but sometimes theirs a film of this stuff on his right eyelid(kinda looks like amber) and I have to mist him or put him in the shower to get it off. Should I be using saline solution cause I’m not to sure if it’s good or not I’ve see mixed options on this website

Thanks for the advice. I’ll start him on a diet now like u said but also id like to add this might be dry eye, but sometimes theirs a film of this stuff on his right eyelid(kinda looks like amber) and I have to mist him or put him in the shower to get it off. Should I be using saline solution cause I’m not to sure if it’s good or not I’ve see mixed options on this website
You need a real reptile vet for those questions. But I will say that obesity like this causes all sorts of problems. It is very very dangerous for them to be fat.

OR just buy the calcium without D3 and keep the repashy calcium plus but you only use the calcium plus 2 times a month every other
since Monday after not giving him his supplements and him eating a few crickets throughout his cage his eye puffyness has seemed to improve a lot

Attachments

• F9097F22-F6E4-4A0F-AE67-E2690277933D.jpeg
    F9097F22-F6E4-4A0F-AE67-E2690277933D.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 65
since Monday after not giving him his supplements and him eating a few crickets throughout his cage his eye puffyness has seemed to improve a lot
Good. It does look a bit better. So make sure your not just dropping using supplements. He still needs them but he needs the Correct ones. So you want a calcium without D3 as well. You could keep the repashy calcium plus for 2 times a month every other week but This is not one of my preferred supplements. I would get reptivite With D3. This would be 2 times a month every other week only then all other feeding calcium without D3.

Good. It does look a bit better. So make sure your not just dropping using supplements. He still needs them but he needs the Correct ones. So you want a calcium without D3 as well. You could keep the repashy calcium plus for 2 times a month every other week but This is not one of my preferred supplements. I would get reptivite With D3. This would be 2 times a month every other week only then all other feeding calcium without D3.
Alright next week I’ll go into town and grab the new supplements

I’m interested.
Ok Well you have 3 that you would use... You would order the starter pack.

EPA would be used Monday and Wednesday
Cal mg would rotate with the RevitaliseD3 every friday. So you would rotate back and forth each week with these two.

They have bee pollen in the supplement which is really good for them.

You would dust all feeders you give. So it would be the 3 feeders 3 days a week with him being on the diet.

I really love this brand and the quality of the supplements.

One thing I want to note is make sure your UVB is placed right above a branch for him. I can not tell placement from your picture. If you let me know what type of fixture and bulb strength I can give you additional details for this as well.

Cal mg would rotate with the RevitaliseD3 every friday. So you would rotate back and forth each week with these two.

You would dust all feeders you give. So it would be the 3 feeders 3 days a week with him being on the diet.

One thing I want to note is make sure your UVB is placed right above a branch for him. I can not tell placement from your picture. If you let me know what type of fixture and bulb strength I can give you additional details for this as well.
There’s a branch in the middle for him to get uvb and his basking branch gives him a bit of uvb from the smaller uvb light. Also I’ll probably order it tomorrow when I have contact with my parents for a bit. Thx for all the information

Also he gets sunlight all day through my window

Back
Top Bottom