Eye issues/swollen casque (anything that will help)

Landen

So about 10-11 months back my chams heat bulb went out so my mom bought a heat bulb while I was at school that was too hot and he got a thermal burn. I didnt think to ask what she bought cause I thought she would’ve known but that’s beside the point. So I took him to the vet (he got eye /casque issues slightly prior to when the burn occurred) and we were givin medicine and were told it would clear up after a bit and it mostly did but recently it came back strong again out of nowhere so I’m wondering just by some photos if there’s anything u could suggest I do for about 8 days before I take him to the vet as I’m home alone for a bit without contact with my parents. I do wish I could get him in right now. I’ll also provide pictures of his enclosure and calcium/vitamins. He gets crickets, super worms, wax worms and horn worms. Mist 5 times a day for a min. Plants: 2 schefflera, 1 weeping fig, 1 fiddle-leaf fog and a small pothos. His heat lamp is 10” away
6C9986B9-8469-417D-9F27-8C838A8A362E.jpeg
B5CA5409-A58F-4408-BE9C-29C6A0D84948.jpeg
BF03D835-DDDC-494E-8A38-5B6BB3F954F0.jpeg
DFBD23AB-9E1A-4FEF-81CE-CD3EE189EF01.jpeg
D228468E-CF87-4502-AE8B-6E9E1E522FBF.jpeg
9DFE0913-B135-4AD8-A849-BA05483EF255.jpeg
E19D7767-2BCD-45E0-AE91-1AE6F732E7D8.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Oh my goodness! He looks ready to pop! :eek: I’m going to say you’re overdosing him on D3, but will let a more experienced member better advise you.

Oh my goodness! He looks ready to pop! :eek: I’m going to say you’re overdosing him on D3, but will let a more experienced member better advise you.
His casque if I remember is swollen due to tip of the casque getting slightly burned and because their jaw muscles are through the casque it’s swollen. It is less then it used to be but for some reason when his eyes got puffy his casque did so I’m thinking infection

But I’ll look into a d3 overdose tho I have a set schedule that I’ve been going by for a couple of years from the breeder we got him from

yeah he looks obese to me. I don’t know how a d3 overdose looks so I don’t know could be that too. But how much are you feeding him?
I feed 6-8 crickets every other day and 3 super 3 times a week and he gets one hornworm as a treat every week. I will add recently he’s been eating a bit more super worms cause the store for some reason has been out of crickets a few times but is getting a re-supply soon.

I feed 6-8 crickets every other day and 3 super 3 times a week and he gets one hornworm as a treat every week. I will add recently he’s been eating a bit more super worms cause the store for some reason has been out of crickets a few times but is getting a re-supply soon.
Ok, so I believe you only want to feed 3-5 appropriately sized bugs every other day for an adult veiled.

Ok, so I believe you only want to feed 3-5 appropriately sized bugs every other day for an adult veiled.
Would that be crickets your referring to? If so I’ll do that but if u think he’s obese would that effect his eyes like that? Also when he eats or gets misted his eyes seem to get puffier would u know anything about why that would be

Would that be crickets your referring to? If so I’ll do that but if u think he’s obese would that effect his eyes like that? Also when he eats or gets misted his eyes seem to get puffier would u know anything about why that would be
Any bug the right size, (About the size of the length between the chameleons eyes) but if you’re feeding mainly crickets, then yeah I’m referring to crickets.
Also I think that yeah, if he is obese that would definitely make the eyes puffy like that

Any bug the right size, (About the size of the length between the chameleons eyes) but if you’re feeding mainly crickets, then yeah I’m referring to crickets.
Also I think that yeah, if he is obese that would definitely make the eyes puffy like that
Alright thx. I’ll take him into the vet next week just in case but I’ll cut down on his food intake a bit

Alright thx. I’ll take him into the vet next week just in case but I’ll cut down on his food intake a bit
Cool. Yeah I kinda doubt that the amount of food you were feeding was the whole cause... you weren’t like WAY over feeding, good your taking him to the vet ?

I’m not terribly experienced in these types of things, but I really think he’s been getting too much D3. Both of those supplements contain D3 so he’s been getting a dose at every feeding regardless of which you’ve been using. D3 builds up in the body and get cause toxicity. Your cham should be getting a phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding except one per week. That one weekly feeding you’d dust with a calcium with D3. The next week, use a multivitamin that has no D3 for that one feeding, and continue to rotate them. Until you see the vet, I’d suggest stopping all supplements and making sure to hydrate your guy well. Offer some hornworms...they are basically bags of water. @Beman what do you think?

I’m not terribly experienced in these types of things, but I really think he’s been getting too much D3. Both of those supplements contain D3 so he’s been getting a dose at every feeding regardless of which you’ve been using. D3 builds up in the body and get cause toxicity. Your cham should be getting a phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding except one per week. That one weekly feeding you’d dust with a calcium with D3. The next week, use a multivitamin that has no D3 for that one feeding, and continue to rotate them. Until you see the vet, I’d suggest stopping all supplements and making sure to hydrate your guy well. Offer some hornworms...they are basically bags of water. @Beman what do you think?
Ok the original breeder I got him from said those to should be good for him but ig not. He’s hydrated he drinks from the mister/leafs and likes me putting my hand mister against the cage and lightly spraying so he can’t drink on his perch. I’ll trust ur advice until the vet and see what there option is. Thx for the help

Ok the original breeder I got him from said those to should be good for him but ig not. He’s hydrated he drinks from the mister/leafs and likes me putting my hand mister against the cage and lightly spraying so he can’t drink on his perch. I’ll trust ur advice until the vet and see what there option is. Thx for the help
Those 2*

Oh gosh I didn’t realize he was getting some d3 every feeding...

Oh gosh I didn’t realize he was getting some d3 every feeding...
Ugh I feel like such I shiddy owner now. Already put him through a burn and now this? tbf the breeder told me those 2 will last him and ig I shouldn’t have trusted her and done my own research on supplements. Over all tho he’s active and seems relatively healthy. I just hope it isn’t serious

Ugh I feel like such I shiddy owner now. Already put him through a burn and now this? tbf the breeder told me those 2 will last him and ig I shouldn’t have trusted her and done my own research on supplements. Over all tho he’s active and seems relatively healthy. I just hope it isn’t serious
Not a bad keeper. Just were given bad advice. However, keep in mind that as I said, I’m really not very experienced with things like this so all I can tell you to do is not give any more supplements and hydrate to try and flush his system. I don’t believe your cham has gotten toxic levels of D3...just enough to cause the edema. In the morning the experienced keepers should be on and can offer you much better information and advisement.
It would help to know how often you are using each supplement and what type of uvb you have.
Also, although Repashy is a great brand imo, there are anecdotal reports of some of their LoD supplements possibly causing edema in some veileds. I believe it caused gular and eye edema in one of mine.

Not a bad keeper. Just were given bad advice. However, keep in mind that as I said, I’m really not very experienced with things like this so all I can tell you to do is not give any more supplements and hydrate to try and flush his system. I don’t believe your cham has gotten toxic levels of D3...just enough to cause the edema. In the morning the experienced keepers should be on and can offer you much better information and advisement.
It would help to know how often you are using each supplement and what type of uvb you have.
Also, although Repashy is a great brand imo, there are anecdotal reports of some of their LoD supplements possibly causing edema in some veileds. I believe it caused gular and eye edema in one of mine.
Lucky herp uvb 10.0 | 15w | 18”/45cm | T8 and it also says EK8 but idk if that has any relevancy

Back
Top Bottom