Eye issues???? I hope not :(

MK1

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? 3-5 months ambilobe panther from LLL. Male, in my care for one month.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? twice total
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? 8-15 crickets, offered 2-5 times a day. Gutloaded with blended up carrots, oranges, a bit of lime, spinach, some apple. and some others greens. Mostly carrot and orange in the mixture
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? repti-cal calcium daily and reti-cal calcuim with D3 once so far, but will dust again next week. Havent picked up any multi V yet..
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Home made dripper running almost all day until i refill as needed. misting 3-5 times a day
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Havnt seen much poo, i have a large well planted cage and it vanishes!? have seen brown with a white tip on a few occasions. Never been tested.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Made of wood, 95% screen. 4' tall., 3 ft wide and 2' deep
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? basking is a 60w house bulb in a dome, UVB is a repti-GLO 5.0 12 hour day and night shifts.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? 82 basking-68 Lowest overnight temp? 65F How do you measure these temps? infrared temp gun.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 30%- 50% Its dry here in the winter.. How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Misting. What do you use to measure humidity? Cheap humidity gauge.
Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes If so, what kind? LArge ficus, smaller golden pathos, and a some sort of "English?" fern. The cham never goes on the fern and it has tons of leaf area so it holds humidity better... I thought
Placement - Where is your cage located? Basement. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? Nearestt vent is 5 ft away, low traffic, no fans. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 6 ft
Location - Where are you geographically located? Midwest USA, Omaha,NE

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I caught My cham "Grilles", "rubbing" his eye on a branch. He put his eye to the branch and touched it for 1-2 sec then went about his business. His right eye/normal appears fuller to me and the center or pupal area is smaller. The left eye seems to be more wrinkled and less full. Im concerned he has some thing in his eye or worse its injured. He shots prey fine from a cup and hunts as well. Ive seen him drink a few times this week and I misted him down fairly well to try to flush his eye. I'll post a pic if I can get a good one. Also he hasnt shed at all sense I've had him.

some times they blow up thirer eyes to remove debris a pic would help also spinache is high in oxilates i woulnt use it:eek:

There's a couple things to recommend here and see if they work. I'm pretty sure the rubbing of the eye on the branches is pretty normal, as I've seen ours do it plenty of times.

There is a possibility that there is something in his eye. You could heavily mist him more often and for longer periods of time with warm water or you could give him a shower. This would be putting him on some plants in the bottom of the tub and letting the shower hit the side of the tub so the mist falls down on the plants. Make sure you keep an eye on him when you do this.

Another thing to try is washing his eye/s out with saline solution. One of our chams was closing one eye and the combination of upped misting with the saline solution solved the problem. I would definitely always have saline on hand.

I'm not sure about this, but it does seem that this problem pops up more in the winter months. It might be because the air is more dry and therefore drying out eyes. Not sure, but this could be a reason for the happening.

i second the saline, i use it anytime my chams eyes look dry or has any deris near it, i just give him a drop on each eye and he useually bulges his eye a few times and then seems happy LoL.

Your humidity seems kind of low, if its dryness thats causing irritation a ultrasonic humidifer, kicksaass,you can actually see the density of the water vapors in the cage. It'll make the air very moist

A nice long warm shower can help too. It will help him drink some more, and they are good for removing debris from eyes. You might want to try this a few times before buying the saline solution, just to save some money for something that actually requires a purchase.

How often do you mist? How many times? You may want to mist longer and more often to get that humidity over the 50% mark. I wouldn't suggest the humidifier, as panthers are not montane species, and do not require a constant high humidity.

I'd bump up the humidity with a humidifier. My panther did this as a baby when the humidity was too low. I asked the guys at LLL (where I got him), and they said to bring up the humidity. My house is really dry during the winter as well, around 30%. I have to mist like crazy to keep it about that. I'm headed out this weekend to take my own advice and get a humidifier.

I'd bump up the humidity with a humidifier. My panther did this as a baby when the humidity was too low. I asked the guys at LLL (where I got him), and they said to bring up the humidity. My house is really dry during the winter as well, around 30%. I have to mist like crazy to keep it about that. I'm headed out this weekend to take my own advice and get a humidifier.

I am from chicago but live in Florida. I was just watching the WGN news down here. Looks like the City is getting ready for the playoffs. We are die hard Bears fans so we excited and cannot wait for the game on Sunday. Are you a fan?

I am from chicago but live in Florida. I was just watching the WGN news down here. Looks like the City is getting ready for the playoffs. We are die hard Bears fans so we excited and cannot wait for the game on Sunday. Are you a fan?

I've got to be honest... I didn't even know the playoffs were coming. I know the bears play football, and I think the colts are football as well. I know the packers are green and yellow. That, sadly, is the extent of my knowledge when it comes to the sport. I've probably seen 2 or 3 football games on television in my 19 years, and I can guarantee that I had no idea what was happening. I just to to the Superbowl parties because there's food :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. I happen to wear contacts so I have saline on hand at all times. Couldnt get a good pic. My camera doesnt like the uvb i guess. Ill try to mist him pretty heavy today and see where that goes.

Thanks for the tip on spinach, I thought i seen on one of those lists it was good. I got some collard greens so ill mix up a new batch.

Back
Top Bottom