eye issue with pics please help

See..and I'm off the camp, if it's not going to do harm (and an antibiotic ophthalmic ointment or drop is not) then why not try it while waiting for the vet? If the chameleon could be taken in immediately, it would be a different thing, but there are a lot of hours between now and when the vet can see the animal. Why not make a stab at making it more comfortable?

The vet visit should still happen because it's entirely likely that the treatment was "helpful" but not "curative".

They are indeed two different medications. The only problem I have recommending terramycin to someone inexperienced in using it is that it can build up under the eyelid. Gentamycin is a drop and will not build up and get all gooey under the eyelid like terramycin can. It is usually also given one drop at a time. With terramycin you apply very small amounts to the eye, but can easily be overdone by the inexperienced keeper.

I do not see anything that looks like a cut. I do not see anything that looks "horribly awful" as people are making it seem. I would try giving the guy a shower, and carefully flush his eye with some saline to see if he can clear it out himself. If you are still uneasy about how it looks or how his eye is functioning take him to the vet. They will be able to stain his eye and look at it to see if he may have a cut, infection, ulcer, etc. From there your vet can prescribe which medications are truly needed, if in fact any are.

well, there's definitely some discoloration under the eye. I don't know that anyone has suggested it's horrible. "See a vet" is sort of the standard recommendation for anything other than utterly normal stuff like not drinking in front of you but producing perfect urates.

Suggesting a vet visit is not the same as saying "eek! that's horrible".

Flushing the eye with saline solution and/or giving him a good shower could certainly help and fall well into the "first, do no harm" realm so are both worth trying.

Note on the saline solution: look for one that doesn't have a lot of additives. It might even be something that requires refrigeration after opening due to lack of preservatives.

See..and I'm off the camp, if it's not going to do harm (and an antibiotic ophthalmic ointment or drop is not) then why not try it while waiting for the vet? If the chameleon could be taken in immediately, it would be a different thing, but there are a lot of hours between now and when the vet can see the animal. Why not make a stab at making it more comfortable?

The vet visit should still happen because it's entirely likely that the treatment was "helpful" but not "curative".

very good point.....

well, there's definitely some discoloration under the eye. I don't know that anyone has suggested it's horrible. "See a vet" is sort of the standard recommendation for anything other than utterly normal stuff like not drinking in front of you but producing perfect urates.

Suggesting a vet visit is not the same as saying "eek! that's horrible".

Flushing the eye with saline solution and/or giving him a good shower could certainly help and fall well into the "first, do no harm" realm so are both worth trying.

Note on the saline solution: look for one that doesn't have a lot of additives. It might even be something that requires refrigeration after opening due to lack of preservatives.

will any kind of saline solution be good......like the one for contact lens cleaning??? and how liberally should i apply it?

Back
Top Bottom