Eye Issue came back

eppcheck

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Female Panther 1.5 year of age captive bred. I received her Feb 14th 2012 so a little over 2 weeks in my care.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

Normally hardly ever (once a month for cleaning), but since vet prescribed gentamycin I've been needing to handle her 3 times a day for the eye drops. I've also force fed a small amount of cod liver oil suggested on these forums since systoms came back.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

All my panthers are on similiar schedules. HShe specifically gets 3-4 feeders in her cage. I don't bother to put anymore since she isn't eating regularly. The first week I had her she ate 1 cricket a day. When she got back from the vet on Feb 21st she started her first 2 days eating alot betterm, about 3-4 feeders. Now she is back to a cricket every few days.

I offer crickets and superworms. Crickets gutloaded with cricket crack, carrots, oranges, and kale. I also have calcium fortified water crystals. Superworms get superchow along with carrots and apples for hydration. I've also attempted other feeders hoping she is just being picky. Roaches, waxworms, redrunners, silkworms and hornworms. She won't take any of them. I have only seen her eat crickets.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

I'm still old school with supplementing. I supplement herptavite twice monthly and calcium w/d3 twice monthly. The rest of the days I lightly dust with calcium no phosphorus no d3. I started her off the first day with herptavite and the following week calcium with d3 since I wasn't sure when she took them last.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

This is the only thing she has no problem with. She is constantly drinking. I use a mistking and also started providing her with a drip system since it seemed like she was so thirsty. Previously, before taking her to the vet I gave her some showers to help clean the eye. I know she should be very well hydrated given how much she drinks. I'm not sure if this is telling me something though. Maybe her constant drinking is an indication of another health issue.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

No testing yet, but I think this will be my next move. Her urates are normal and droppings normal. She had one incident a few days after receiving her where her dropping appeared to be more liquidy and jelly looking then usual. It also appeared to be pretty large for her size. Almost the size of and adult males, which doesn't add up since she doesn't have a good appetite.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Previous owner, had her breeded and she layed one clutch of eggs. This was about 2 months ago. I thought she might of retained sperm and could be carrying eggs, but she shows no obvious signs like crawling at the bottom of cage, showing eggs in belly, gravid colors, etc... The vet also agreed that she doesn't appear to be carrying eggs. I have briefly shown her to the male and she seemed receptive.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

Screened 18x18x36.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I have the recommended 5.0 reptisun thats about 5-6 months old. Maybe could use a replacement. Seems like they've always worked for 8 to 12 months before.

She has 50 watt halogen bulb which keeps her basking branch consistently at 86 degrees.

All my chams are on 12 hours on 12 hours off schedule.

Temperature - (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

The highest temp is at the basking area which is 86 degrees. I have a very thick brand new schefflera arboricola tree which makes temps in the middle and at the bottom cool I would say from 80 to 65 at the very bottom during the day(I've never seen her at the very bottom). She hangs out at the top basking spot majority of the day and towards the evening hang out in the thick branched cool area.

I use a temp and humidity gauge I bought at at hardwhere store. It's not a cheap one, but not the best quality either. Probably cost around $30 if I remember correctly. I tried to get something more accurate than what you would normally get at a pet store.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

I have two sides of all my cages wrapped in plastic sheeting to hold humidity and keeping the mistking from spraying outside of the cage. I haven't tested the humidity for awhile, but last time I checked it was consistently above 35% sometimes up to 60% or more right after misting. Again, I use the temp and humidity gauge I mentioned above.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

In her cage I have two plants the schefflera arboricola and a tropical hibisucus.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

The cage is a bit lower than I'd like, I have her enclosure placed on an end table that stands 2 feet from the floor. With the cage on top that reaches about 5 feet total in height. This leaves my head about a foot higher than the top of the cage. I know that can be stressful, but it is all I have at the moment.

The chameleons have their own room with visual barriers between each other.

Location - Where are you geographically located?

I'm in Salem, OR it has been 30F low to 50F highs and wet this time of year. This shouldn't matter since they there room is heated and won't drop below 60F.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Short answer: Right eye has been showing signs of infection and closing during the day. Her other eye works normally. She has also been lethargic with very little appetite.

Long Answer with Background info:
I received this chameleon 02/14/2012. At the time she started off eating and drinking within an hour of receiving her. The next day eye issues began, she was lethargic, small appetite, hardly any movement, etc... She constantly tried cleaning her eyes and squinting. She also left that same eye closed temporarily from time to time. Infact, there seems to be slight damage to the lid of her eye from constantly rubbing it on branches.

First Treatment: I started off treatment by giving her showers and rinsing the eye with sensitive eye saline solution. The saline solution seemed to cause her eye to swell. So the next time I did it, I watered it down 50% saline and 50% water. This worked a bit better, but she still was having eye issues. At this point, I knew she needed a vet visit.

Second Treatment: I took her in the vet 02/21/2012 and the vet rinsed out her eye very well and used some utensils to clean out her eyes. She also prescribed gentomycin to put in 3 times daily. When she came back from the vet she was back to acting like a normal cham. The vet just thought she had something in her eye which she was able to remove, but wanted me to use the gentomycin incase it was a bacterial infection. She was eating and drinking but shortly after 2 days the eye issue had come back. The gentomycin is difficult to get in every time I try, but I get it in the majority of the time. I don't think gentomcyin is working as successful treatment. After it was clear that the gentomcyin wasn't helping I stopped it.

Third Treatment: I've begun using terramycin instead. Again, no obvious success in therapy but it has only been a few days. I thought there might be a vit A deficiency so in addition to putting on terramycin I have force fed a drop of cod liver oil. I don't know if will help since it hasn't had enough time to take effect. At this very moment she hasn't ate anything and her eye is still showing the same issues. I will need to give this time before knowing if it helps.

My Next Plan:: If she doesn't begin eating soon I will have to force feed her. I have feeding syringes with nipples. I also have liquid multivitamins solution I can make using Critical Care and calcium gluconate if neccessary. I don't want to treat her further because I think I've done enough and don't want to do more damage then good. I will also get a fecal done and take her to the vet next week if there isn't any improvement.

I'm lost as to whats wrong and have exhausted my resources and solutions. I would love to get input from the forum, but ultimately believe my best bet is another vet visit.

And whats up with all the eye issues everyone has been having lately?

Some pictures of the normal eye then the problem eye.

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

An adult constantly drinking is great but i would also be leery. Excessive drinking (everytime it is offered) usually has a motive behind it. Whether she is gravid, has infection, illness (parasites), etc..I would first write down all the a list of solutions for each possible problem. Work each one, one at a time. Do it thoroughly and document. Your girl is drawing her eye in..If your chameleon was mine, i would start with infection. Doesnt have to necessarily be a ocular infection. This could be a infection any where within the body. Check the mouth thoroughly, if she goes to the vets have some blood work done to see if anything shows out of whack.

Constantly shoving things in her eyes can be a bad thing. Not being clean can cause other issues while trying to solve the main issue.

Good luck with your chameleon..

Thanks for the reply, I was leaning towards possible parasite or non oscular infection. The vet checked the mouth and did not find anything abnormal during our first visit with her. Should I have a vet do a fecal and confirm parasite before treating for it? I heard panacur has very mild side effects even at extreme dosages. Could I just treat her with it just incase or would treating without a definite diagnosis not be a good idea?

For a possible non oscular infection I could get my hands on a low dose Amoxicillin Suspension.

I'm not sure any of these treatment options would be wise without consulting with a vet. I'm sure the panacur wouldn't hurt though. How common is it for a captive bred chameleon to get a parasites? Would blood work determing if she has deficiencies, illness, or infection?

panacur will only treat/kill parasites it is formulated to attack. If she were to have coccidia, panacur would do absolutely nothing.

Amoxicillin Suspension - i have no experience with. so i cant give you fair advice.

I think baytril would be your best bet...It has antibacterial activity against a broad spectrum of Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria. Again it will only treat what it is formulated to treat.

Yes i would have the fecal done asap. This may need to be done twice. How common this is in a captive bred chameleon to a specific number..IDK. It is fairly common though and should be tested to rule out.

A vet would be able to give you a better understanding as my knowledge is close to nil with blood work/panels in chameleons. I do believe that they can find all three problems within these test's. Chameleons in general dont have much blood to work with so the types and amount of test have to be select.

Last edited:
Thanks again and I'll get those fecals done ASAP. I have a local reptile rescue close by that can supply me with baytril and amoxicillin. If willing I'm going have them do the fecal and get their opinion on the situation. I'll get back with diagnosis and solution. No matter what she will not pass in my care. I'll force feed her with a syringe everyday if needed.

Ataraxia, you seem very knowlegable. I would like your opinion on this product called critical care. Since my cham isn't eating enough to get the nutritions she needs I had to feed her this stuff called Critical Care. It's a recovery/replacement food for lethargic reptiles. Here are the ingredients. Do you think it would be safe for a chameleons needs? Anyone else with any input would be much appreciated.

Ingredients
Timothy Grass Meal, Soybean Hulls, Soybean Meal, Wheat Germ, Xanthan Gum, Calcium Chloride, Cane Molasses, Salt, Potassium Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate (Vitamin C), Soybean Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Papaya, Pineapple, Limestone, Natural Flavor, Oat Groats, Wheat Middlings, Yeast Culture (dehydrated), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate,Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Selenium Yeast, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Proteinate, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Biotin, Manganous Oxide, Thiamin Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 16.00%
Crude Fat (min) 3.00%
Crude Fiber (min) 21.00%
Crude Fiber (max) 26.00%
Moisture (max) 10.00%
Ash (max) 10.00%
Calcium (min) 0.40%
Calcium (max) 0.60%
Phosphorus (min) 0.20%
Metabolized Energy 24 kcal/tbsp
Additives
Vitamin A (min) 19,000 IU/kg
Vitamin D3 (min) 900 IU/kg
Vitamin E 190 (min) IU/kg
Vitamin B12 (min) 13 mcg/kg
Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C) (min) 10,000 mg/kg
Niacin (min) 60 mg/kg
Iron (min) 300 mg/kg
Zinc (min) 100 mg/kg
Copper (min) 18 mg/kg

Also, I think the critical care was designed for herbivores. Anybody have a suggestion for feeding a cham a liquid diet while they are not eating? Should I just put the cricket in their mouth or make some shake to squeeze in with a syringe?

That product seems fine for short term use only. Meaning i would only use it once a week at most.

Another option (better imo). I have not tried this way of going about it but i have seen a few recommendations of this and thought it was genius. In a sandwich baggie put in however many crickets you desire to feed. Sprinkle a a pinch of calcium. corner them in the baggie and smash them up. Cut the edge of the baggie using it kinda like a pastry/icing bag.

If the chameleon will swallow just place a cricket in the mouth and go from there.

I do it the traditional way of Removing the legs, head and wings, smashing them up in a small container, add a little pedialyte, supplements and draw into a syringe.

Awesome suggestion, I think I like that way better. I don't like commerical products especially if you can get somthing closer to their normal diet. I'll try it

Woke up this morning to feed her and she started eating by her self again. I periodically checked her eye till this afternoon and I would say it's about 90% better. She doesn't close it or clean it anymore. I just breifly seen her squint it a couple of times. I think the cod liver oil was what did it. It just needed some time to kick in. Could be the Terramycin, but I doubt it since I had trouble applying it. I might give her another dose in a few days and hopefully it won't come back. If anyone else has been having chams with eye issues, being lethargic, and loss of appetite I highly recommend dosing a small amount of cod liver oil with a syringe. You can get the stuff almost anywhere and it's not very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom