Eye Help please!

I forwarded the paper to my vet along with photos. He wasn't there this morning (only found out after I took her in) and had to take her back this afternoon. Poor baby, I'm not sure how much more she can take, bless her. He had seen the photo I emailed (as usual the large swellings had gone down a lot by the time we got to the vets) and agreed to take her in and flush her eyes. It's the worst feeling in the world leaving her at the vets. I am well aware that I may have just said my last goodbye. :(

no tiff she will pul through for you, im crossing my fingers and wishing for her.
go AMY!!!!! you can do it!!!!
big hugs tiff

Oh bless her!!

I know EXACTLY how u feel hun.

You know what I was like with worrying over Simba. I didn't think he'd cope with all the stress!! He did tho. Eyes fine apart from some saggy skin, now he just doesn't have an appetite!! LOL

Took a little feeder vid this evening (Separate thread) plenty to eat but HRH just won't bloody eat em!!! LOL

I'm here for you hun!! Like you were for me!!! As is everyone else I'm sure...never short of support with this lot eh?? ;)

Amy will be fine I'm sure. Such a pain when their symptoms disappear when its time to go to the vets!! I had to rely on photos too when i took Simba so Nicole could see why I had brought him in.

Like I said, the sterilising of his enclosure and the antibiotic/steroid drops seemed to do the trick with the swollen eye thing. Saw improvements immediately!!

Let us know how she is when you pick her up won't you??

Oh, do you have that paper on the eye thing?? Wouldn't mind having a read.

Tell us what the vets feedback is.

Hurry home lil Amy!!! Ur Mammy is worried sick!! Get well soon poppet!! xxx

She's home!

Thank you so much everyone for your support as always! People who don't have chameleons just don't realise that they are so much more than 'just a lizard'.

I got the call at 5pm (just as I was in the middle of cooking tea:rolleyes:) and I had to go and get her before 5.30, so with the dinner turned right down low, my son took me to get her. She was seeping the anaesthetic off and thankfully her eyes aren't bruised (although some bruising may appear tonight I think). She had a fine flexible tube inserted into her turret and swirled water around in there to wash out any debris. They removed a bit and couldn't see any sign of a blockage. I have to keep on with the eye drops and return on Thursday for her check up. The nurse I spoke to assisted with the procedure and she said how lovely Amy was and how she didn't mind being picked up. She was so well behaved, bless her, even though she was probably unable to see what was going on around her! I left Amy in her travel cage while we ate teat, and then I put her last lot of drops in for the day. She started opening her eyes again and moved around a bit on my lap so I put her back in her viv to get ready for lights out. Her eyes looked a little better and she was able to open them a bit too, which is more than she was doing when I left her at the vets. Her colour has also improved. Poor little girl must have felt so utterly miserable with her eyes so swollen.

Oh God love that little girl!!!
I bet she'll be right as rain after a good nights sleep.
Bless her being a good little patient too!!!

What drops did they give you??

Post a pic or 2 tomorrow hun.

So glad she's home safe.

Get well soon Amy xxx

HUGZ TO YOU BOTH XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Yea Amy!!!!! i also love that girl. I am so glad it is going well for her and for you. I know how it would hurt to lose her, now we no longer have to think about that.:D:D:D:D:D

Thank you all, it's such a comfort to know so many people care!

Just a small update today. When I got up this morning Amy was still sleeping. She still had her eyes bulging and closed when I got home from the school run and shopping at about 11am. I took her out to give her some eye drops and she seemed to perk up a bit after that. She has been sat in her travel age basking in the warmth of the sun by the window. She is able to open her eyes more today. By the time we got to the vets yesterday she had them shut all the time, and first thing this morning I thought I was going to lose her.

I am going to speak to the vet about vitamin A as I can't seem to find it on sale over here. Because even in humans an overdose is dangerous it seems that you can only by it as part of a multivitamin. I will search online further though before her check up on Thursday.

Awwww. :)

Hope she's ok Tiff!!

Hopefully the drops will help. What are they by the way??

Good luck for Thursday.

Fingers crossed she'll be much better by the end of the week. xxx

Thanks Kat, they are Chloramphenicol drops. I just don't know what else to try for her. She seems just as bad today - the eye flush doesn't appear to have helped, unless it caused more swelling that will subside in a day or two. Poor little girl can't get either eye to look at the front to catch food. Does anyone know how long I should leave it before I start force feeding her? My mind is constantly full of 'what if' 'would this work' 'could I try this' and I feel so helpless.:(

Small update!

This morning I had to wake Amy to put her eye drops in, and afterwards she seemed more active. I haven't seen her close her eyes much today although I was out until mid afternoon. I bought some waxworms in the hope to tempt her into eating and it worked! She showed interest so I took her out and held her while I offered a worm on my other hand as I suspected it would be difficult for her. She tried to take it straight away, but where her eyes are swollen her aim is not right. It took a few attempts, but she got it, followed by a calciworm.

She seems a little better in herself today although her eyes are still swollen, they may have gone down very slightly. She has a check up with the vet in the morning and I have several more things to discuss, such as the Vitamin A issue, and also to see if it could be her kidneys at fault since she had two shots of Baytril in January and another last week. Although she always drinks well, I want everything that can be checked to be looked at!

Update after vets check up

Amy had her check up this morning. She had a vitamin injection and we were given some other eye drops to lubricate the eye as well as still giving her the others. She has to go back again on Tuesday. It's a good job she's a friendly sort and doesn't mind being handled! Life would be so much more difficult if she wasn't, and would have greatly added to her stress as well as mine!

I asked if it could possibly be her kidneys causing the problem after she had 2 shots of Baytril, but he said that there is new research to show that Baytril is quite often not to blame for kidney problems, rather that the animal has kidney problems because of the illness they have and being given Baytril is just a coincidence. He said she shows no outward signs of kidney problems - no loss of weight, appetite or anything that would suggest her kidneys are not right. Her colour was a bit off on Monday, but her nice happy green has returned and she is moving about a bit more the last couple of days.

Amy had her check up this morning. She had a vitamin injection and we were given some other eye drops to lubricate the eye as well as still giving her the others. She has to go back again on Tuesday. It's a good job she's a friendly sort and doesn't mind being handled! Life would be so much more difficult if she wasn't, and would have greatly added to her stress as well as mine!

I asked if it could possibly be her kidneys causing the problem after she had 2 shots of Baytril, but he said that there is new research to show that Baytril is quite often not to blame for kidney problems, rather that the animal has kidney problems because of the illness they have and being given Baytril is just a coincidence. He said she shows no outward signs of kidney problems - no loss of weight, appetite or anything that would suggest her kidneys are not right. Her colour was a bit off on Monday, but her nice happy green has returned and she is moving about a bit more the last couple of days.

Aww! yay! i hope amy makes a speedy recovery. give her a kiss from her US supporters!

Sorry tiff, missed ur update.

Glad she's her happy colours again and being a good girl with vet n meds!
Did swelling go down on this vet trip at all?

Do u have any up to date pics to compare to first one's?

Great to hear she's still got her appetite... Unlike some! Lol

Hope she recovers soon ;)

Update!

Amy's eyes have today shown some improvement and are less swollen than they have been since this whole problem started a couple of weeks back. The vet examined her eyes today and said the right one is now clear but there is still some clouding on the cornea of her left eye. We have to keep on with the eye drops for another week when she sees the vet again. Here's a couple of pics taken today!

Improving1.jpg

Improving2.jpg

and having a drink!
Drinkies.jpg

So glad to see she is looking better. I like the last picture too... but I was going to say because she looks like she is smiling because her eyes feel better:)

Did you find out any answers? My jackson has the same issue in his right eye. I sent a video to our vet today. I'll let you know if she answers me.

Back
Top Bottom