eye abscess

Thehippie

Chameleon Enthusiast
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon -veiled chameleon 3 years old had for 6 months
  • Handling - when he wants it usually every 2 weeks
  • Feeding - crickets, hornworms, super worms all gut loaded with cricket crack
  • Supplements - calcium no d3 every feeding calcium with d3 every other week multivitamin every other week
  • Watering - misting 4-5 times a day 2 mins each 5 mins once a day
  • Fecal Description - brown with a white tip
  • History - he was given to me 6 months ago because a reptile collector was retiring from the hobby
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 18x18x24 holding cage while the new cage is being ordered he will go into a 2x2x4
  • Lighting - 10,0 UVB and a CHE for the winter
  • Temperature - 80 degree basking with an ambient of 70 degrees
  • Humidity - 50-60 percent humidity
  • Plants - fake plants getting pothos for the new enclosure maybe a dracaena
  • Placement - in the bedroom not where any fans or vents are
  • Location - Maryland

Current Problem - my chameleon has a little abscess coming out of his eye I already emailed the vet and might get it checked out but I wanted a second opinion from some of you, I heard it could be a vitamin deficiency or possibly an infection but it looks like its just swelling of the eye turret. my camera isn't great but you can see a little swelling of the bottom of the turret

Attachments

• WIN_20181112_15_21_23_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20181112_15_21_23_Pro.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 116
here are some more pics, I heard turtle eye drops might help, would that be something to consider

Attachments

• WIN_20181202_00_00_37_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20181202_00_00_37_Pro.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 150
  • WIN_20181202_00_00_53_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20181202_00_00_53_Pro.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 97
As I am not a veterinarian, I will not diagnose, nor prescribe any medications to your chameleon. I recommend visiting a licensed veterinarian for your concerns as they will be able to prescribe correct medications to treat the issue and dose it correctly. They may even recommend performing bloodwork and checking calcium levels at a visit as well.

You may want to give him additional mistings to give him the opportunity to clean his eye. Has he had a recent shed? Did he happen to maneuver oddly in his cage and resulting in it getting poked by something? There are numerous reasons as to what could be occurring.

Hmm, it seems very likely it could be due to stuck shed. I would recommend a long misting session. You can place him in the shower and he will be able to drink as much as he wants and this may prompt him to clean his eye and see if this results in the eye issue correcting itself. I usually recommend a 15 minute long shower. However; sometimes this can be due to numerous other variables. This is why I always stress contacting a veterinarian and having bloodwork checked and checking calcium levels and seeing if there is an underlying issue.

Chameleon Info:
  • Supplements - calcium no d3 every feeding calcium with d3 every other week multivitamin every other week
  • History - he was given to me 6 months ago because a reptile collector was retiring from the hobby
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 18x18x24 holding cage while the new cage is being ordered he will go into a 2x2x4
  • Location - Maryland

Current Problem - my chameleon has a little abscess coming out of his eye I already emailed the vet and might get it checked out but I wanted a second opinion from some of you, I heard it could be a vitamin deficiency or possibly an infection but it looks like its just swelling of the eye turret. my camera isn't great but you can see a little swelling of the bottom of the turret
As stated above, vet. Superworms shouldn’t be a staple. Add more variety to your diet, like silkworms, butterworms, black soldier flies and larvae, blue bottle flies, roaches (dubia, red runner, orange headed, ivory headed, green banana, etc), mantids, stick insects, helix aspersa, painted lady butterflies, and silk, horn, and waxworm moths, to name a few. You gutload your hornworms with a Cricket Crack? What are your supplement brands? 10.0 uvb is WAY too strong for a 24” tall cage! Is it linear or compact coil? 80*F basking is too low.

As stated above, vet. Superworms shouldn’t be a staple. Add more variety to your diet, like silkworms, butterworms, black soldier flies and larvae, blue bottle flies, roaches (dubia, red runner, orange headed, ivory headed, green banana, etc), mantids, stick insects, helix aspersa, painted lady butterflies, and silk, horn, and waxworm moths, to name a few. You gutload your hornworms with a Cricket Crack? What are your supplement brands? 10.0 uvb is WAY too strong for a 24” tall cage! Is it linear or compact coil? 80*F basking is too low.
@Thehippie You know all of this info, also just go get an XL Reptibreeze, that is a full grown cham in a cage the size of him who has been there 6 months too long. Sorry for my responses being rough, I’ve had a bad last 12 hours

You can try the turtle eyes one it’s safe saline is saline no different than a Walmart brand but if it’s to bad then yea see a vet to get the eye cream

Chameleon Info:
Cage Info:
  • Location - Maryland

Hello!
So i dont think this in an abces, too me it look like sinus infection of eye infection (of infection) Still in the mild stages but i suggest you a vet and some husbandry change asap ;)

1-temperatures : basking should go too 90-95 (carefull if you raise your temperature to control for the light bulb distance to avoid termal burn)
2-feeding, he look a bit overweighted, dont feed him every day, chameleons are like human and can develop disease when overweighted
3-cages but.. you already know that part! ;)

For now, i suggest you too feed him with silkworm and black soldier larvea dusted with bee pollen and vitamin as usual. Thoses feeders are helpfull with diseases as silkworm act as a natural anti-inflammatory and BSFL contain small antibiotic propriety (+ they are good feeders!)

Good luck with him, keep us updated!

ok well I had a 5.0 linear and now 10.0 linear but yea I had a different thread where everyone told me to switch so I just made the change, i'll chamge back, cage is being ordered and shipped and I say super worms and hornworms because I feed them not as a staple but I just feed them occasionally I don't gut load with cricket crack for hornworms I just do spinach, supplements re reptivite and herptivite ordering silkworms soon for him but my parents cant do roaches so I'm not allowed to have them in the house. I have fed others like butters waxworm moths and BSFL but he seems to not like them after a few tries I'm ordering more variety soon. vet will not be open til Monday, will raise the temp is a 100 watt white light good enough raised above the cage?

thanks for the help everyone, will try the turtle eye drops if the vet says its ok. he is my responsibility and I will do anything to make sure he is ok and well again, money time and effort are no matter to me

ok well I had a 5.0 linear and now 10.0 linear but yea I had a different thread where everyone told me to switch so I just made the change, i'll chamge back, cage is being ordered and shipped and I say super worms and hornworms because I feed them not as a staple but I just feed them occasionally I don't gut load with cricket crack for hornworms I just do spinach, supplements re reptivite and herptivite ordering silkworms soon for him but my parents cant do roaches so I'm not allowed to have them in the house. I have fed others like butters waxworm moths and BSFL but he seems to not like them after a few tries I'm ordering more variety soon. vet will not be open til Monday, will raise the temp is a 100 watt white light good enough raised above the cage?
Got it. Hornworms should have their own special diet. RepCal isn’t the best supplement brand, use Zoo Med (ReptiCalcium without D3 every feeding, Reptivite with D3 every two weeks), Repashy (Calcium Plus LoD every feeding), Sticky Tongue Farms (Minerall Indoor or Outdoor every feeding, gutload feeders the night before with Vitall), or Arcadia (insectivore schedule off of their website). Variety is key, great job on trying all options out! You have to play with different wattage strengths to get the proper temp.

Got it. Hornworms should have their own special diet. RepCal isn’t the best supplement brand, use Zoo Med (ReptiCalcium without D3 every feeding, Reptivite with D3 every two weeks), Repashy (Calcium Plus LoD every feeding), Sticky Tongue Farms (Minerall Indoor or Outdoor every feeding, gutload feeders the night before with Vitall), or Arcadia (insectivore schedule off of their website). Variety is key, great job on trying all options out! You have to play with different wattage strengths to get the proper temp.
Do not feed miner-all indoor formula everyday! It contains D3. Once a week is more than enough.

Back
Top Bottom