Extreme desire for his own reflection?

N4PTIM3

So today i let Pascal out of his cage, and behind his cage is a mirror(its blocked by a sheet on the back of his cage) he found out this mirror is back there now I know you all must be thinking oh no I bet he got black and extra mad and the like, but he didn't he did the opposite he put on his best suit and tried to woo this reflection of his so much so that he danced and started to vibrate.

The problem is that now believe it or not he is trying desperately to get to the back top corners and out to this mirror like he KNOWS where he is in regards to the cage and mirror I dont want him to hurt him self or stress himself out because he cant get to his new "love" should I be concerned over any of this?

Im no expert... but they are a territorial species. Maybe he needs to murder the "other" chameleon, and make sure he isn't in his space. Reflections in glass are known to stress them out... so no doubt a mirror would do the same. I wouldn't encourage this at all. :S

That sounds like a standard territorial display; he was trying to intimidate the reflection of himself that he thought was another chameleon.

I'm sure he'll be back to normal within a few hours or a day if he is not able to see his reflection anymore. After seeing another chameleon they will usually remain worked up for a while until they are certain it is gone.

Im no expert... but they are a territorial species. Maybe he needs to murder the "other" chameleon, and make sure he isn't in his space. Reflections in glass are known to stress them out... so no doubt a mirror would do the same. I wouldn't encourage this at all. :S

The problem is he's turning bright colors instead of dark and doesn't make any angry actions he in fact will dance for his reflection as if he's trying to woo a female

That sounds like a standard territorial display; he was trying to intimidate the reflection of himself that he thought was another chameleon.

I'm sure he'll be back to normal within a few hours or a day if he is not able to see his reflection anymore. After seeing another chameleon they will usually remain worked up for a while until they are certain it is gone.

even though he was very bright and not aggressive towards it or me when I went to pick him up I moved quicker and he didnt seem to care at all.

They will usually turn bright colors during a territorial display when they see another male. They will also rock back and forth, puff up, and curl their tail. Turning dark in a territorial display usually means they think they have lost to my knowledge.

When displaying for a female they will usually turn bright colors and bob their head.

The problem is he's turning bright colors instead of dark and doesn't make any angry actions he in fact will dance for his reflection as if he's trying to woo a female

I think if the "reflection" started ramping up its own display he would eventually turn more dark and angry. But, as the mirror can't do that his level of threat didn't progress. I've had melleri who discovered their reflections in a glass stereo cabinet door who usually showed their brilliant colors but not the dark angry ones. And, yes, once he knows where his rival "lives" he'll keep trying to get to it. The melleri made a point of going to the stereo on their daily house patrol just to reinforce their boundaries. My first veiled found a reflection in one glass panel on his cage. I even tried covering it with a piece of wood paneling but he would shove himself between the wood and the glass to find his rival again. He knew where several other rivals lived around the house...in the chrome kick strip on the dishwasher, certain windows, a mirrored closet door. He'd patrol and visit them pretty regularly.

So today i let Pascal out of his cage, and behind his cage is a mirror(its blocked by a sheet on the back of his cage) he found out this mirror is back there now I know you all must be thinking oh no I bet he got black and extra mad and the like, but he didn't he did the opposite he put on his best suit and tried to woo this reflection of his so much so that he danced and started to vibrate.

The problem is that now believe it or not he is trying desperately to get to the back top corners and out to this mirror like he KNOWS where he is in regards to the cage and mirror I dont want him to hurt him self or stress himself out because he cant get to his new "love" should I be concerned over any of this?

Well, no, its not desire. He might show desire for a FEMALE image which is very different than a male's.

Back
Top Bottom