Extra heat

Bigsky

Established Member
If you need a bit of extra heat in your feeder colony, lizard cage, incubator, or whatever, do an ebay search for heat pad. Look for something similar to this. They are under $5 US, and come from China.

Attachments

• IMG_20190219_111941444_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190219_111941444_HDR.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 82
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

and ill reiterate

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

China + wall connection + $5 shipped + "unattended heater" = NOPE

You are basically looking at an unfused rheostat running 120vac into film coated resistance wire, with no ul listing, with no grounding.

I draw the line at the $15 "outdoor pet" pads, because at least they only runn off a 12v switch mode wall wart. Even with a catastrophic failure, they wont cook more than 15 watts or have more than 12 volts on the line.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

and ill reiterate

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

You are basically looking at an unfused rheostat running 120vac into film coated resistance wire, with no ul listing, with no grounding.

I draw the line at the $15 "outdoor pet" pads, because at least they only runn off a 12v switch mode wall wart. Even with a catastrophic failure, they wont cook more than 15 watts or have more than 12 volts on the line.
I have used several for 2 years, with no problem.

I have used several for 2 years, with no problem.

I have heat rocks with 1992 date codes that still work. It still isnt a good idea.

I would have no problem with those pads if they had any kind of safety mechanisms, either transformer isolation or even coming with a .25amp fuse. But people get ansy about leaving ul listed space heaters plugged in, or even sunbeam heated blankets. This is a whole nother level.

Here is an example. Reptile heattape has resistance wire going from 120v to ground (hot to neutral or what ever) but it has 20-40 of them per foot, so if any few of them break, nothing bad will happen. On yours, if that tab by the label breaks, its 120v across the break.

Last edited:
I have heat rocks with 1992 date codes that still work. It still isnt a good idea.

I would have no problem with those pads if they had any kind of safety mechanisms, either transformer isolation or even coming with a .25amp fuse. But people get ansy about leaving ul listed space heaters plugged in, or even sunbeam heated blankets. This is a whole nother level.

Here is an example. Reptile heattape has resistance wire going from 120v to ground (hot to neutral or what ever) but it has 20-40 of them per foot, so if any few of them break, nothing bad will happen. On yours, if that tab by the label breaks, its 120v across the break.
Or 0V

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

and ill reiterate

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

I have been inside of many Chinese factories. No one can match the quality of manufacturing you’ll find in China. Cheap products are cheap no matter where they are made. It’s not inherently a Chinese issue.

If the appliance is listed and has been built to specs, it isn’t any less safe than more expensive alternatives. In fact, most “branded” product you may trust come from the same factory as the unnamed, cheap ones. I’ve seen them side by side many times.

I have been inside of many Chinese factories. No one can match the quality of manufacturing you’ll find in China. Cheap products are cheap no matter where they are made. It’s not inherently a Chinese issue.

If the appliance is listed and has been built to specs, it isn’t any less safe than more expensive alternatives. In fact, most “branded” product you may trust come from the same factory as the unnamed, cheap ones. I’ve seen them side by side many times.

Oh not complaining about shoddy workman ship. Im complaining about basic design flaws, even if they are built to the highest standards. This product is not UL listed. It has no safeties. And its being left alone to run un monitored.

Even unfused flexawatt or reptile heat tape would be a better option just by design.

http://productspec.ul.com/document.php?id=KSOT.E496395

It doesnt get more china than that, yet their pads are ul listed, though the 8 watt is 10 bucks instead of 5 bucks.

Oh not complaining about shoddy workman ship. Im complaining about basic design flaws, even if they are built to the highest standards. This product is not UL listed. It has no safeties. And its being left alone to run un monitored.

Even unfused flexawatt or reptile heat tape would be a better option just by design.

http://productspec.ul.com/document.php?id=KSOT.E496395

It doesnt get more china than that, yet their pads are ul listed, though the 8 watt is 10 bucks instead of 5 bucks.

I see your point, but it could be ETL listed. Lot’s of factories I know are moving products over to ETL due to cost. That wouldn’t be unusual. The OP should be able to tell us what’s on the label. I agree that no listing would be a major “no, no.”

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heat-Mat-R...Warm-Heater-5W-7W-14W-Pet-Supply/173176480804

i cant find much info on them. On one hand i love them vs diy clamped flexawatt, But on the other hand, if that tab by the label goes, its just like plugging 2 resistors into the wall, and rubbing the leads together.

Here is the style i use:
https://www.amazon.com/FLYMEI-Waterproof-Adjustable-Resistant-Protection/dp/B01M29JCSB

A lot of sellers, but they are all the same, a 12v 1-2amp pad, a controller, and a 12v wall wart.

Back
Top Bottom