Extra heat lamp!

DutchChams

Established Member
Soo with my new setup ( that is about 2 meters high ) i decided to place an extra heat lamp sideways. I noticed the heat wasn't really coming down to the bottom at all. It was still wet and little cold at the end of the day..

What do you guys think? Will this help with overal warmth in the enclosure?

Keep in mind that i live in the Netherlands and winter is coming...🥶

Attachments

• 20221220_082327.jpg
    20221220_082327.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20221220_082308.jpg
    20221220_082308.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20221220_082319.jpg
    20221220_082319.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 38
Looks really good (y)
Personally, I would exchange the heat light for a led plant light (they also produce some heat) and angle it bit from above, this will benefit the plant growth, because your enclosure is pretty high (which is perfect) and the light spectrum want reach that low in the enclosure. Chameleons like a temperature gradient, it will be fine with just lights on top. You also need to be careful he doesn´t seek the heat of that midrange light, this would be less beneficial for the UVB exposure.

But, once again great job 👌

Looks really good (y)
Personally, I would exchange the heat light for a led plant light (they also produce some heat) and angle it bit from above, this will benefit the plant growth, because your enclosure is pretty high (which is perfect) and the light spectrum want reach that low in the enclosure. Chameleons like a temperature gradient, it will be fine with just lights on top. You also need to be careful he doesn´t seek the heat of that midrange light, this would be less beneficial for the UVB exposure.

But, once again great job 👌
Thanks for the great advice! I actually have an extra led plant as a backup! Will try this soon!

Watch your chameleons behavior if it starts basking down where that other light is then you want to remove it. Down there it has no ability to get the UVB it needs. Sometimes doing this can confuse them. Also watch your temps... Lower in the cage is supposed to be cooler with a higher humidity level. By adding the light farther down you have now changed your gradients in the cage as well.

Watch your chameleons behavior if it starts basking down where that other light is then you want to remove it. Down there it has no ability to get the UVB it needs. Sometimes doing this can confuse them. Also watch your temps... Lower in the cage is supposed to be cooler with a higher humidity level. By adding the light farther down you have now changed your gradients in the cage as well.
Closely watching his behavior! The overal ambient temp from low to mid is now 68 to 75 ish. Top branches are 85-90! For now i think it works really wel because he still goes to his familiar basking branch at the top! But i will keep a close eye! Thanks Beman😇💚

Closely watching his behavior! The overal ambient temp from low to mid is now 68 to 75 ish. Top branches are 85-90! For now i think it works really wel because he still goes to his familiar basking branch at the top! But i will keep a close eye! Thanks Beman😇💚
So your top branches are a bit too hot... Max for an adult male is 85. Most of us keep males in the 80-85 range. So keep an eye on the temp so see where it is really sitting. Too hot can cause issues of dehydration. Also they say that lower basking temp produces a longer lifespan for them.

Back
Top Bottom