Exploring?

PoseidonTheChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
So my baby chameleon has been going to the bottom of his cage and hanging from the top the last couple days, the reason why I'm confused is bc he never does this, hes been "exploring" alot more. I've gotten my husbandry checked and there's nothing seriously wrong that I'm doing. I know they screen climb when the husbandry is wrong but hes been at the bottom more often like in the plant here at the bottom and idk why.

Attachments

• 16058160400404437056456726389635.jpg
    16058160400404437056456726389635.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 69
Your Chameleon is either exploring. Or is trying to find a better spot. Idk why though because your cage looks awesome! ???

Your Chameleon is either exploring. Or is trying to find a better spot. Idk why though because your cage looks awesome! ???
Thank you, it's just something new that hes been doing, yesterday he was in the pan in the bottom all dark and spotted bc he couldnt get out :(

So my baby chameleon has been going to the bottom of his cage and hanging from the top the last couple days, the reason why I'm confused is bc he never does this, hes been "exploring" alot more. I've gotten my husbandry checked and there's nothing seriously wrong that I'm doing. I know they screen climb when the husbandry is wrong but hes been at the bottom more often like in the plant here at the bottom and idk why.
they will become quite a bit more active as they get used to their enclosure...

How much are you feeding baby?
Did you account for the correct distance from UVB to basking with the wire gauged screen you used on the enclosure?

they will become quite a bit more active as they get used to their enclosure...

How much are you feeding baby?
Did you account for the correct distance from UVB to basking with the wire gauged screen you used on the enclosure?
I feed him about 15 crickets and about 6 or 7 black soldier larvae a day. His lights are about 10 inches from his basking branch

I feed him about 15 crickets and about 6 or 7 black soldier larvae a day. His lights are about 10 inches from his basking branch
Food is perfect then so he is not going down to find food.
Ok and with the uvb... You have that larger screen on the top right? Remind me which UVB your running please?

The larger wire screen will not reduce the uvb the same way aluminum window screen will. So I just want to make sure he is not getting over exposure at that branch.

Food is perfect then so he is not going down to find food.
Ok and with the uvb... You have that larger screen on the top right? Remind me which UVB your running please?

The larger wire screen will not reduce the uvb the same way aluminum window screen will. So I just want to make sure he is not getting over exposure at that branch.
Not sure what you mean by larger screen on the top, but yeah its metal mesh stuff so it's open wider for more uvb. I have a reptisun t5 5.0 24 inch

Not sure what you mean by larger screen on the top, but yeah its metal mesh stuff so it's open wider for more uvb. I have a reptisun t5 5.0 24 inch
Yes, so with aluminum window screen it is much closer together this reduces the UVI level anywhere from 35-40%... So with what your using you would basically not account for that reduction. Because the full strength would be able to go through.

Do you have a solarmeter to check? In case you don't here are the numbers

Bulb = Reptisun 5.0 T5 HO 24W, 22"

Fixture = Arcada ProT5

No screen filter

Top below bulb= UVI 32.7

UVI 6 = 6"

UVI 3 = 10.5"

UVI 1 = 21"

Last edited:
Yes, so with aluminum window screen it is much closer together this reduces the UVI level anywhere from 35-40%... So with what your using you would basically not account for that reduction. Because the full strength would be able to go through.

Do you have a solarmeter to check? In case you don't here are the numbers

Bulb = Reptisun 5.0 T5 HO 24W, 22"

Fixture = Arcada ProT5

No screen filter

Top below bulb= UVI 32.7

UVI 6 = 6"

UVI 3 = 10.5"

UVI 1 = 21"
Ok thank you, I do not have a solar meter. But is 10 inches ok?

Ok thank you, I do not have a solar meter. But is 10 inches ok?
That is going to be right above a 3 uvi which is within the safe exposure... Where it becomes an issue is when it is above a 6uvi....

So where you have risk is if baby keeps climbing the top.... In that case you would want to raise the fixture 6 inches up... Then the basking branch would come up 6 inches as well.

Then even if baby hangs below the fixture on the top since it was raised 6 inches he wont be exposed to anything higher then a 6 uvi. The branch would then be 4 inches down so the total distance to branch would be 10 inches from the bottom of the fixture putting baby at a 3 uvi.

:) Does that make sense... you have a better understanding being new but let me know if I am not being clear. :)

That is going to be right above a 3 uvi which is within the safe exposure... Where it becomes an issue is when it is above a 6uvi....

So where you have risk is if baby keeps climbing the top.... In that case you would want to raise the fixture 6 inches up... Then the basking branch would come up 6 inches as well.

Then even if baby hangs below the fixture on the top since it was raised 6 inches he wont be exposed to anything higher then a 6 uvi. The branch would then be 4 inches down so the total distance to branch would be 10 inches from the bottom of the fixture putting baby at a 3 uvi.

:) Does that make sense... you have a better understanding being new but let me know if I am not being clear. :)
I understand now, I'm working on keeping him from getting up there, there is only one spot that he can. Which is up the pothos hook as you can see here

Attachments

• 16058297603325653985908925743041.jpg
    16058297603325653985908925743041.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 51
I understand now, I'm working on keeping him from getting up there, there is only one spot that he can. Which is up the pothos hook as you can see here
Just keep in mind they are freaking crazy when it comes to getting somewhere they want. I have solid side walls and door on mine. I never would have thought screen climbing the top could be an issue due to having nothing to climb up there from. He litterally stretched on one hind foot using his tail to prop him up to reach the screen top the other day. I am talking a 9-10 inch distance and a 5 month old baby who is maybe 5 inches in body length. They are crafty as heck when they are motivated.

Just keep in mind they are freaking crazy when it comes to getting somewhere they want. I have solid side walls and door on mine. I never would have thought screen climbing the top could be an issue due to having nothing to climb up there from. He litterally stretched on one hind foot using his tail to prop him up to reach the screen top the other day. I am talking a 9-10 inch distance and a 5 month old baby who is maybe 5 inches in body length. They are crafty as heck when they are motivated.
Wow ? yeah he gets pretty determined sometimes

Ok so today he was screen climbing alot and was all spotted I've gotten him down from the top again (going to fix that today) and it was alittle weird bc to get him down I have to hold my hand under him and Mist him a little to get him onto my hand usually he kind of freaks out and tries to get off of my hand as quick as possible but this time he clamped onto my hand as hard as he could with his hands and wouldn't come off any idea why?

Ok so today he was screen climbing alot and was all spotted I've gotten him down from the top again (going to fix that today) and it was alittle weird bc to get him down I have to hold my hand under him and Mist him a little to get him onto my hand usually he kind of freaks out and tries to get off of my hand as quick as possible but this time he clamped onto my hand as hard as he could with his hands and wouldn't come off any idea why?
So they normally hate being misted... If your doing it with a hand spray bottle the force of the spray is quite intense. It may have been a bit shocking for him. try using both hands... One in front and one behind to guide him onto your other hand. This I have found works quite well with all of my boys.

So they normally hate being misted... If your doing it with a hand spray bottle the force of the spray is quite intense. It may have been a bit shocking for him. try using both hands... One in front and one behind to guide him onto your other hand. This I have found works quite well with all of my boys.
He was dark and spotted before I misted him, but that may be why he was clenching on to me. I feel bad but that's the only way to get him down with out falling, I felt terrible when he fell the other day. I'll try 2 hands next time

He was dark and spotted before I misted him, but that may be why he was clenching on to me. I feel bad but that's the only way to get him down with out falling, I felt terrible when he fell the other day. I'll try 2 hands next time
I dont understand why he just wont stop its like hes addicted to being up there. I have to check on him every 10 minutes bc he goes right back up?‍♀️

I dont understand why he just wont stop its like hes addicted to being up there. I have to check on him every 10 minutes bc he goes right back up?‍♀️
It will not stop until you take away the option. Babies like being as high as they can get in the enclosure. It is more a safety thing. Funny thing is if I do a major change my older boys will start trying to get on the top screen as well. And they are much too heavy to hold on.

They are like having toddlers... Everything goes in the mouth and they get into everything they are not supposed to lol

Back
Top Bottom