exploration

Takara

the past 2 days my male which is free ranged kept ending up on the floor or somewhere in the room. today when I picked him up off the floor i took him to the living room to climb around and explore. tonight he is in his tree sleeping.

this made me think, that maybe I should take my female out of her cage and let her explore other parts of the house also?

hmm! as long as eveything is child proofed. you dont want them gettin into any trouble. i wish i could let my beardie chill out of his cage but he will try to eay anything and will hide wherever he can.

I guess what I was trying to say is I don't think that his area is large enough for him to explore -free range or not. it's about 3'x2' but he still wants to climb everything around him.

When either are out of their area I usually watch tv in the same room.

Before I got him, I was thinking of free ranging together with multiple basking areas, but I don't want him harassing her too much to mate.

I guess what I was trying to say is I don't think that his area is large enough for him to explore -free range or not. it's about 3'x2' but he still wants to climb everything around him.

When either are out of their area I usually watch tv in the same room.

Before I got him, I was thinking of free ranging together with multiple basking areas, but I don't want him harassing her too much to mate.

He probably does need a larger place to explore. If you have the ability, you can connect multiple trees with vines or branches and provide multiple basking spots. You want to provide enough spaces for you chameleon to go in his free-range so that he does not wander onto the floor. A chameleon on the floor is in danger of being stepped on. In general, a chameleon with proper lighting, various perches/hiding spots/basking spots, proper humidity and misting should not be wandering around your home because their needs are being met in their free-range. I know that some people may disagree with me, but my approach towards free ranging is that all the factors for setting up a cage still apply, but you are not using cage walls.

Also, many chameleons tend to go for a little walk to "explore" while people are in the same room. My personal belief about this tendency is that the presence of a person in their space makes them stressed or uncomfortable so they are looking for a more secluded space.

If you are looking to enlarge your free-range, search around on here because there are some really great pictures of free-ranges that offer everything a chameleon needs to be happy and healthy.

He probably does need a larger place to explore. If you have the ability, you can connect multiple trees with vines or branches and provide multiple basking spots. You want to provide enough spaces for you chameleon to go in his free-range so that he does not wander onto the floor. A chameleon on the floor is in danger of being stepped on. In general, a chameleon with proper lighting, various perches/hiding spots/basking spots, proper humidity and misting should not be wandering around your home because their needs are being met in their free-range. I know that some people may disagree with me, but my approach towards free ranging is that all the factors for setting up a cage still apply, but you are not using cage walls.

Also, many chameleons tend to go for a little walk to "explore" while people are in the same room. My personal belief about this tendency is that the presence of a person in their space makes them stressed or uncomfortable so they are looking for a more secluded space.

If you are looking to enlarge your free-range, search around on here because there are some really great pictures of free-ranges that offer everything a chameleon needs to be happy and healthy.

Like this one? My chams don't leave the free range unless it's laying season or Chris is heading to his roosting spot... which he does on a daily basis.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/new-free-range-works-31428/

Chris roosting on the power cords... He goes up there just before lights out.. and by the time I am up at 8:30am he is back in the free range basking.

IMG_1075.jpg

Back
Top Bottom