Experiences Keeping Juvenile Parson’s?

Carrillxxp

Hey Everyone!

Brand new to the forum but not entirely new to Chameleon keeping. I’ve been wanting to purchase a Parson’s for quiet some time now - I have started to contact folks trying to find a new pet (with no intention to ever breed). It’s definitely been process; finding an Orange Eyed hasn’t been easy!

Truthfully, this would be my first time with Parsonii and I wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on keeping a juvenile? I want to support others in the hobby but am hesitant to make such a large purchase if it’s incredibly difficult to raise them young (1-5 months).

As I said, this would be strictly my pet/baby so I want to do everything I can the right way.

Let me know!

Thanks,

Ryan C.K.

Hi Ryan,
For what I know (and I’m not experienced), Parson juveniles will leave the breeders not before 6 till 8 months. And they’re a bit harsher in the beginning to adapt, at least we 3 (@crosscutts @Jpeff) have experienced this. To adapt, I mean, before they eat every kind of feeder (they’re picky in the beginning) or got their drinking regime and so on. They’re like most chameleons, but I feel like they’re a bit more stress sensitive or I’m more stressed with them. Still a beautiful chameleon to work with and if you can get one go for it, but be prepared that everything is at least doubled (price, feeding, setup) in comparison with other chams.

Here’s my journey with a OE https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/new-cb-oe-parsons-keeper.186523/

Hi Ryan,
For what I know (and I’m not experienced), Parson juveniles will leave the breeders not before 6 till 8 months. And they’re a bit harsher in the beginning to adapt, at least we 3 (@crosscutts @Jpeff) have experienced this. To adapt, I mean, before they eat every kind of feeder (they’re picky in the beginning) or got their drinking regime and so on. They’re like most chameleons, but I feel like they’re a bit more stress sensitive or I’m more stressed with them. Still a beautiful chameleon to work with and if you can get one go for it, but be prepared that everything is at least doubled (price, feeding, setup) in comparison with other chams.

Here’s my journey with a OE https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/new-cb-oe-parsons-keeper.186523/
Awesome! I’ll start skimming through this thread.

There’s definitely going to be some testing that I’ll be trying but overall I’m all ears for guidance 🌞.

Hello Ryan , sounds like you’re ready to go off the The Parsons Adventure . When I got my first parsons after years of Chamaeleon keeping on and off , I did tons of studying and spent a fortune on the perfect habitat to make sure that my first one had the perfect conditions . Number one is make sure you go to a reputable breeder someone who will be there for you if you have any issues . Primo chamaeleons is the only place I would consider getting one from , @Action Jackson @Sonny13 and @Jpeff have all been a tremendous help . If you’ve been a Chamaeleon keeper for a while and successful there are only a few tweaks . Humidity cooler temp’s and lots of water and you got this (Air conditioning now plays a role in my husbandry ) 😊👌 for me it was never about the cost and I’m glad because it cost a lot .. but the reward is worth it . I am in aww every day when I get home ..
Awesome! I’ll start skimming through Ki this thread.

There’s definitely going to be some testing that I’ll be trying but overall I’m all ears for

Attachments

• 5B67925A-240D-4271-894D-F2D399362E1A.jpeg
    5B67925A-240D-4271-894D-F2D399362E1A.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 65
  • B5421275-8C55-4B9A-8C3A-0B7262944967.png
    B5421275-8C55-4B9A-8C3A-0B7262944967.png
    815.7 KB · Views: 56
Hello Ryan , sounds like you’re ready to go off the The Parsons Adventure . When I got my first parsons after years of Chamaeleon keeping on and off , I did tons of studying and spent a fortune on the perfect habitat to make sure that my first one had the perfect conditions . Number one is make sure you go to a reputable breeder someone who will be there for you if you have any issues . Primo chamaeleons is the only place I would consider getting one from , @Action Jackson @Sonny13 and @Jpeff have all been a tremendous help . If you’ve been a Chamaeleon keeper for a while and successful there are only a few tweaks . Humidity cooler temp’s and lots of water and you got this (Air conditioning now plays a role in my husbandry ) 😊👌 for me it was never about the cost and I’m glad because it cost a lot .. but the reward is worth it . I am in aww every day when I get home ..
I’m excited! It’s seeming like I’ll pretty much be showering daily with my future chameleon at this point 😂.

I’ll be going with an open range set-up so I’m looking forward to it. Convincing my girlfriend was no easy task.

Quick life update - the holidays and beginning of the year were wild but I am back now. I ended up getting invited to Washington D.C. to serve on a committee around Christmas so that was fun/hectic and my active training for Marathon has begun so I am busy all the time now.

However, I should be getting my Parson’s some time this month and I am incredibly nervous. I know how everyone feels about Tillandsia Usneoides (Spanish Moss) so I’ll probably remove it but I’ll need to think of another solution for humidity then.

Again, the PAR 38’s are VivTech UVA/UVB bulbs (you all reminded me that I should be cautious so I’m aware they’re of what not to do) I wanted to give them a try. I have an Arcadia Pro T5 on standby just in case.

A clear shower curtain will actually line the set up where the black plastic chicken wire is going to be on the outside to help keep the curtain closed. That way the chameleon has no way of being in contact with the wire.

I hope you all are well!

Attachments

• 0F19D607-203D-4F57-8FF7-0E05DAA44373.jpeg
    0F19D607-203D-4F57-8FF7-0E05DAA44373.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 49
Good Morning Crew!

I wanted to provide everyone a brief update with how my first day went. I’m over the jitters now as I’m going to have to make some adjustments - do feel free to shoot suggestions, truly.

For starters the baby is just shy over 8 months old.

Good news first:

The cham is eating and has been exploring around the upper of the enclosure. I’ll need more plants. It has eaten two days in a row 3-5 small Dubia during each feeding. I’m on an Arcadia supplement schedule.
Bad news:

No noticeable signs of drinking - I’m misting in 1 minute intervals every 4 hours but will have to adjust. I’m not super worried just yet but I’ll have to think of how I can incorporate a drip system perhaps?

Modifications:

I turned the pot so that the little one isn't directly under the lighting pushing him to about 9” out of reach. I’m testing this VivTech UVA/UVB bulb. I will likely purchase an additional Arcadia T5 but ALL the ballasts are sold out everywhere.

71CC89AD-5920-4F7C-8D56-A56AD947EBE4.jpeg
3611B26E-346B-4B71-A78E-4588CF7427C8.jpeg

Well last night was fun! 😅

Yesterday morning I instantly went to my local shop to pick up a MistKing…

I couldn’t get the reservoir bucket to stop leaking so I just picked up some Loctite water-proof sealant to line the back hose connector. I’m a little upset that the line is gravity fed but it will do.

Misting system is now set for twice a day - 15 minute intervals with each session in the morning and evening.

I also went to ikea to snag some extra potted plants…. This entire trip ended when my local jeweler asked me to come check out my partners engagement ring which I ended up making a first deposit on.

My savings is tapped out!

BA3ADAF6-5D77-4D44-A8FF-814F70098976.jpeg
030E833D-8157-44C1-B1B7-A19D7D0473FB.jpeg

Well last night was fun! 😅

Yesterday morning I instantly went to my local shop to pick up a MistKing…

I couldn’t get the reservoir bucket to stop leaking so I just picked up some Loctite water-proof sealant to line the back hose connector. I’m a little upset that the line is gravity fed but it will do.

Misting system is now set for twice a day - 15 minute intervals with each session in the morning and evening.

I also went to ikea to snag some extra potted plants…. This entire trip ended when my local jeweler asked me to come check out my partners engagement ring which I ended up making a first deposit on.

My savings is tapped out!

View attachment 335215View attachment 335216
Well at least your prioritizing your partners engagement ring lol. It adds up so fast with these guys... And you got one that will be huge so there will be more expense as you expand the babies area. Have you thought about getting some larger centerpiece plants? This will give multiple grips for the guy and more surfaces to drink from. A large ficus or umbrella would be a great addition and give more hiding areas along with helping your humidity gradients.

Well at least you’re prioritizing your partners engagement ring lol. It adds up so fast with these guys... And you got one that will be huge so there will be more expense as you expand the babies area. Have you thought about getting some larger centerpiece plants? This will give multiple grips for the guy and more surfaces to drink from. A large ficus or umbrella would be a great addition and give more hiding areas along with helping your humidity gradients.

A large ficus alli is definitely going to be the next upgrade. We are going to be moving within the next two years and the plan will actually to be housing the Chameleon in a small standing greenhouse. I figured I have some time before I’ll have to upgrade though.

I also ordered an additional T5 ballast so that’s expected by early next week.

Back
Top Bottom