Exotic Black Soldier Fly larvae

I have fed both black soldier fly larvae and Phoenix worm larvae. Because the black soldier fly larvae get significantly larger than any Phoenix worms I have had, I have been inclined to think that they are not in fact the same. Just my thoughts on the subject.

I have fed both black soldier fly larvae and Phoenix worm larvae. Because the black soldier fly larvae get significantly larger than any Phoenix worms I have had, I have been inclined to think that they are not in fact the same. Just my thoughts on the subject.
Perhaps you are being sold two completely different things - or those larvae sold under the Phoenix worm larvae label are line-bred to be smaller, thus requiring you to purchase/spend more.

Sarroca take a look at what Eliza has posted. It is very beneficial to you.

ok, im asking what shop, get your facts straight before you call people DUM, i live on oahu its not as small as you think it is DUM HAOLE. i hate defending myself on the internet :( sorry guys
That was not calling you "dum" that was to get my 10 characters in so I could post that...... Why does everyone automatically get defensive?
Anyways, it is spelled dumb not dum.. If my intentions were to call you ignorant I would have simply said it that way (or spelled dumb right), dumb is such an over used word anyways.

edit:My intentions still are not to call you ignorant, I'd like to clear that up before another defensive post is made. :-\

Also, what does the part in bold mean?

Last edited:
I think the black soldier fly larvea when being cultured are bigger cause they have a constant source of food so they grow bigger while the ones sold in cups are starving themselves so they tend to be smaller

soldierfly larvea may be gutloaded with the same veggies you feed your crickets

Get a BioPod! doesn't matter if you have Chameleons or not, it's a wonderful composting solution. I live in Hawaii and purchased one back in November or so and just didn't order the starter kit w live grubs. Doesn't matter though Black Soldier Flys are found in almost every part of the world. I've been feeding them to my Gold Dust Day Geckos - both of which are extremely healthy. It takes awhile - few months - to attract a significant population to your colony - but you really don't need a starter kit - it just helps speed everything up. They are the exact same thing as Phoenix Worms, there just harvested at different stages of their lives to allow for feeding to different sized pets. My highest recommended feeder - with Dubia roaches being second (wish I could get them in Hawaii).

I think it is pretty funny that the company selling these (BioPod) cannot spell "Soldier" correctly (they keep spelling it Solider) :rolleyes: Other than that, it's a great idea for clean composting. Soldier flies are used for speedy manure composting on hog farms. This is how the folks at Phoenix Worms got started http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/agcomm/magazine/winter03/flies.htm (If you read the article, Craig Sheppard is the owner, with his wife, of Phoenix Worms)

Back
Top Bottom