Exo-terra Sun Ray

I just got a 35 watt. My initial thoughts are. ....

The exoterra bulbs focus the visible light into a cool white tight beam about the size of your fist. The uvb lights up whole room. It also doesnt produce as much heat outside of the light beam. I've heard that other companies are starting to produce these bulds too. I can't wait to test one. I would like to see the visible light be 10" round. The color and temperature are perfect for my montane tank.

The fixture is nice in appearance but has minor issues.
The ballast is hard wired to the fixture so you cant hide it in the stand.
The fixture sticks to the cage with a sticker so can't be moved or reapplied.
The fixture only goes out from the back of the cage 7". I would like to see it adjust to 12".

Jason.

Jason,

I ave been considering these for the same Montane type species that we are discussin in another thread. A couple of questions.

1. Can you provide a measurement from teh top of the arch of the fixture to the base of the actual lamp holder. I am curious if I will have enough room vertically as my cages are rather high and want to make sure they will not hit the ceiling while allowing the bulb to be above the cage.

2. You say the fixture only goes out 7" from back of cage. Is that to say that with the fixture attached to the back of the cage, the pendant only lays over the cage 7"? Seems very limiting.

3. Any chance you have been able to confirm the UVB ratings they mention? Also, what do you mean by the "UVB lights up the whole room"

3. DO you think it is worth it? I am excited about the bulb and all, but I hate to spend the extra cash on the fixture ( i would need 4) when I have no need for aesthetics.

Thanks a ton for the help and feedback.

Bobby

I just got a 35 watt. My initial thoughts are. ....

The exoterra bulbs focus the visible light into a cool white tight beam about the size of your fist. The uvb lights up whole room. It also doesnt produce as much heat outside of the light beam. I've heard that other companies are starting to produce these bulds too. I can't wait to test one. I would like to see the visible light be 10" round. The color and temperature are perfect for my montane tank.

The fixture is nice in appearance but has minor issues.
The ballast is hard wired to the fixture so you cant hide it in the stand.
The fixture sticks to the cage with a sticker so can't be moved or reapplied.
The fixture only goes out from the back of the cage 7". I would like to see it adjust to 12".

Jason.

Looks interesting, but I will wait till I see some unbiased test data.

Besides, I have had nothing but bad luck with anything electrical made
by ExoTerra.

Great terrariums though :D

Since pictures are not biased.

This is it on my 24"x18"X24" exoterra.
full

full

full

Here is the mounting bracket. It sticks to the back of the exoterra and is adjustable up and down
full

Here is the highest setting.
full

Here is the lowest setting....
full

full

The Ballast..
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for taking the time to take pics and provide the feedback. I guess the last question is what type of temps are you getting in the cage with the lamp at its max height of 12"? Does the heat penetrate very far?

Thanks again!!

I have been using these kind of (HID, metal halide..) lamps for years now and i would never go back to "basics". Animals are just so much more a live under HID light.. BUT you must need to know what you are doing and ALWAYS use UV meter!

Exo Terra is behind badly, what it comes to HID lights (and in my opinion everything else also..). I have not tested sunray yet (it is in progress), but it seems good in the paper. And what is given in the paper, is not valid for new lamps. New lamps, not burned in, can give way, way much more UV then than lamp that has been burning in for a week (48+h).
35w par 30° lamp can give over 20 index and 500-700uW/cm2 to 20-30cm when new and not burned in, so you must be very careful.

NEW Lucky Reptiles Bright Sun UV Desert (par 35°) is the best HID to this date. Light beam is wide and white and UV is safe, not too little, not too much (Index:UVB is about 30-35:1)

There is coming Arcadia HID out with in this year, i have my hopes up for Arcadia :)

FYI - I have a lamp stand exactly like this (not the light fixture itself, though), and since I had to move it and obviously couldn't use the "sticky" anymore, I just drilled it into the frame. Much more sturdy.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

When you say "ALWAYS use UV meter" is this to tell when the burn in has completed or have you seen variations after burn in?

I have 15+ years experience with higher wattage MH on reef tanks. I have found them to be the very stable for up to 14 months after a 48 hour burn in.
Are the Lower wattages similar?

Jason

I have been using these kind of (HID, metal halide..) lamps for years now and i would never go back to "basics". Animals are just so much more a live under HID light.. BUT you must need to know what you are doing and ALWAYS use UV meter!

Exo Terra is behind badly, what it comes to HID lights (and in my opinion everything else also..). I have not tested sunray yet (it is in progress), but it seems good in the paper. And what is given in the paper, is not valid for new lamps. New lamps, not burned in, can give way, way much more UV then than lamp that has been burning in for a week (48+h).
35w par 30° lamp can give over 20 index and 500-700uW/cm2 to 20-30cm when new and not burned in, so you must be very careful.

NEW Lucky Reptiles Bright Sun UV Desert (par 35°) is the best HID to this date. Light beam is wide and white and UV is safe, not too little, not too much (Index:UVB is about 30-35:1)

There is coming Arcadia HID out with in this year, i have my hopes up for Arcadia :)

I answered my own question by reading further.

A UV meter should be used to determine the correct bulb to basking spot distance. The bulb output may fade over time requiring the fixture to be dropped a few inches.

Jason

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

When you say "ALWAYS use UV meter" is this to tell when the burn in has completed or have you seen variations after burn in?

I have 15+ years experience with higher wattage MH on reef tanks. I have found them to be the very stable for up to 14 months after a 48 hour burn in.
Are the Lower wattages similar?

Jason

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom