Exo Terra Incubator - Garbage

RyU

I got one of those Exo-Terra small fridge like incubators as part of a trade in preparation for some K. Multituberculata eggs I was expecting. It was used, but in good condition (looked lightly used and well cared for)

Worked good for about two weeks incubating 14 eggs at 68f. All seemed good until today when I go to check the temps are at 78f and it appears that the cooling element will not function. I can hear the thermostat "clicking" as it attempts to turn it on, but I get no function from any fans on the unit. I Should've checked the reviews on those units first as they are notorious for this kind of malfunction.

I don't know how long the eggs were at the temperature, but I estimate it's been a couple of days. I have them in the closet at 74f and am hoping they will survive.

Just a warning to people about this thing. It's terrible. :(

That sucks. Finding a good incubator is difficult. I have two of the Exo Terra's and both seem to work fine. The temperature reading on the display is not accurate and you need to use a separate thermometer to get the temps right. Mine are supposed to be the "new and improved" version.

I also have a $1200 incubator and it gives me problems. Sure would like to find a good one.

That sucks. Finding a good incubator is difficult. I have two of the Exo Terra's and both seem to work fine. The temperature reading on the display is not accurate and you need to use a separate thermometer to get the temps right. Mine are supposed to be the "new and improved" version.

I also have a $1200 incubator and it gives me problems. Sure would like to find a good one.

Yea, I had a thermometer inside it. The temperature was never more than 1f off for me, was working really well till it kicked.

Probably could try to DIY one with an old fridge. Heating is the easy part but I don't know what I could use as a cooling element. Wishing I kept all of my Ranco controllers when I tore down my reef...

Just a thought, I use a digital thermometer for my aquarium that has an high/low alarm. Its like $15 bucks online at amazon but could give you a early warning when something goes bad.

I've used a home-made incubator for over 25 years now and hatched a lot of different reptiles with it. It consists of a wooden frame of two by fours stood on the narrow side and nailed together at the corners with a screen from a window on top of it and a people's heating pad under the screen between the wood frame sides. The heating pad is the type that has three heat settings and doesn't automatically shut off. I set it so the temperature is right in the egg containers. You can shim the frame up if you need to to get the temperature right. I have a cardboard box with no bottom and no lid that I place over the frame to keep the light out and I keep it in the basement.

I've used a home-made incubator for over 25 years now and hatched a lot of different reptiles with it. It consists of a wooden frame of two by fours stood on the narrow side and nailed together at the corners with a screen from a window on top of it and a people's heating pad under the screen between the wood frame sides. The heating pad is the type that has three heat settings and doesn't automatically shut off. I set it so the temperature is right in the egg containers. You can shim the frame up if you need to to get the temperature right. I have a cardboard box with no bottom and no lid that I place over the frame to keep the light out and I keep it in the basement.

I would like to see a picture of this, if you have the time.

Is it possible to incubate eggs that require different temperatures at the same time in it?

@RyU- I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think a couple of days will hurt them. I read too many issues with them having the same problem that you just had and for that, I made my own incubator. What are the ambient temperatures in the room they are in?

Chase

I would like to see a picture of this, if you have the time.

Is it possible to incubate eggs that require different temperatures at the same time in it?

@RyU- I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think a couple of days will hurt them. I read too many issues with them having the same problem that you just had and for that, I made my own incubator. What are the ambient temperatures in the room they are in?

Chase

72-74 night and 76-77 days

I would also like to see a picture of this setup if you can -=)

Chase....i suppose you could set the egg containers on pieces of wood to raise them higher off the heating pad or make the substrate inside the egg containers deeper to incubate at different temperatures but I never had to. All the lizards and turtle eggs I hatched did fine at the same mid 70's F range.

I'll try to get a photo of it.

I really should put together a kit for this that could be fitting to any insulated box/fridge etc. It is really not that complex. Heating and cooling circuit, out of range alarm, no problem. It always amazes me when breeders have many thousands of $ worth of eggs and years of their time into their breeding programs and they use sketchy stuff for incubating.

What are you referring to as sketchy?

Incubators with mechanical thermostats that can stick open or closed, systems that heat but don't cool and vice versa, systems without provision for alarms when it goes out of range, systems that won't store your set point and goes back to factory default if the power goes out, cooking your eggs. And those are the good examples of sketchy. The bad ones are ice chests that have to be manually filled with ice cubes in the summer, light bulbs inside for the winter, basically manually controlled, no thermostat. You see all kinds of weird things.

The closet method looks real good compared to a lot of these egg torture methods.

I'm considering using this: https://www.neptunesystems.com/products/apex-controllers/apex-jr/

Not too expensive for what it does. Then bundling it with heating and cooling retrofit units with power supply that can be attached inside any insulated box like a fridge shell.

Could also do a basic unit for much cheaper without the wifi.

Haven't checked the price but it looks mighty pricey. It would be nice to have a controller with all the bells and whistles, but considering I only have 14 eggs to cool (will probably be more in the coming months) I have to put priorities elsewhere in terms on finances.

For now I have put them back into the incubator with it off....this actually keeps them at 72f. I will have to keep a close eye for daytime temps tomorrow.

I was considering using a small wine cooler. Has anyone ever tried something like this?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danby-12-Bottle-Thermoelectric-Wine-Cooler/10098031

The Jr. Is 220 at Premium Aquatics.
I do have a profilux unit here that would fit the bill but it's running my girls fresh water tank. Heating is easy but I think the challanging part is finding a good quality thermo-electric cooling unit.

Carl

So what do you guys think is the best incubator out there???

I think this would depend on on what species of chameleon you are incubating and what the ambient temperature and humidity of your area. Some cost much more than others...

Back
Top Bottom