Excessive prolonged shedding in my 1 year old male veiled chameleon.

IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
Simon has been shedding for about 4-5 months with only about 2-3 days break inbetween each shed. With the exception of this last one that has been going on for the last 4-5 days, he just seems to not be able to get the dead/dying skin off. I would do the form, but I can't seem to find it, so I'll give as much info as I can.
I've had him since I rescued him from the pet store. Last March 2016

HANDLING, In the beginning he was always reaching out for me, climbing on me, and just wanting to be held, since the shedding, he isn't as hold me friendly.
SUPPLEMENTS, I dust his crickets 8-10 every other day, withcalcium every 4/5 time, and herptivite about 2/3 times a month. supperworms are given as treats 2/3 month. Kale is hand fed 3/4 times a week, I leave a large stall in his cage to eat on, replacing it every day.
WATERING I have a BioBubble drinking fountain and I mist him 2/3 times a day. I have seen him drink, from the biobubble, and he does drink when I mist him.
FECAL DESCRIPTION Simon has never been tested for parasites, I will get this done asap, below is pictures of his poop and urine the urine is last night, poop maybe 2 days.
HISTORY I've had him since he was about 2 inches long (very young) he's always been the hold me kind, (found this weird because everyone says they aren't supposed to be like that,) he also tries to "mate" with my hand every time I he climbs on it.....yeah, I know....insert hahaha here......
CAGE. is an screened custom built, with adiquate opens on the front, back, sides and top. The cage is approximately 3.0 ft high x 3.5 ftx wide 1.5 ft deep
LIGHTING. 2 ceramic heat lamps (these are on all day and night) not UVB
1 red/night light (left on at night)
1 day UVB LIGHT turned on at 8am off at 9pm (due to work schedule. All lights were/are purchased at pet supply stores, mostly zoo med.
HUMIDITY is roughly around 38% constantly. I have a humidity gage on the upper left hand side of his enclosure.
PLANTS 2 pothus plants, 1 (dying Ficus) I want to pul it out, just don't want to stress him) 2 I believe they are Schefflera plants. I also had a small fern, this is dying as well, again I replace plants as they die. I do water them (I've never been good with ficus or ferns) there is also a good amount of silk/plastic plants, multiple vines, and a large climbing branch.
PLACEMENT. His cage is located in our front foyer, this is where his original cage was before I built the custom one. No fans, no vents, no more traffic than he has had his entire life, he cage is approximately 2.5 feet off the floor.
LOCATION I live in Georgia.

My biggest concern is the amount of time he has been shedding, before he was a happy little guy, now he's grumpy, not mad, I think it's starting to take a toll on him. I have attached pictures of his cage, him, his poop, any help will be greatly appreciate.

Attachments

• IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 151
He seems to need more hydration. The excessive dark yellow/orange urate is a sign that he needs more moisture. Also, stubborn shed could be caused partially by low humidity.

He seems to need more hydration. The excessive dark yellow/orange urate is a sign that he needs more moisture. Also, stubborn shed could be caused partially by low humidity.

Thank you so much for replying, would it be best to install an auto mister? Also what would be the duration/amount of time per day best?

It is very important you do not give them ANY heat during the night unless if dips below 50 or so and even then no direct heat or light at night.

Automisters are the way to go your cham does look like he could use it. I love my Climist system it was about $90 it is great the amount of time needed will vary depending on your species and what you have for drainage but my personal for my two veileds is set to go off for 2 min each time a few min after the lights come on in the morning then again 4 more times throught the day. If your poo is yellow you need to do more to help hydrate your cham try upping humidity with more live plants or a humidifier also I only use R/o water or distilled thru my Climist system. To me it looks like there is not much in terms of live plants to drink water from and hold moisture. I do like how your did your enclosure it looks great just add some cheap pothos plants with vines or some shefflera plants, palm plants, ficus, or many more.

MistKing seems to be the best option from the feedback on the forum. I have a Monsoon Rainfall system and I'm very happy with it. Before, I was using a homemade dripping system that let off a constant drip and I'd refill it a couple times a day plus I hand misted several times and had a ReptiFogger run a couple times a day. So the Monsoon made it so much easier.

I run it 3x a day on a timer for 6 mins. I run it one more time (varies depending on when I'm home) for a solid 10 mins. I haven't used the fogger since the Monsoon but will hand misted at least once because I enjoy doing it :)

unless you have a special bulb or leds for plant growth then you will always need to rotate your plants from in the cage in and out with others because they will need natural sunlight or evenually all plants normal bulbs or uvb bulbs do very little

Set your lights on a 12 hr on and 12 hr off schedule they do not need any light at night even red light or heat is bad.

Thank you so much for replying, would it be best to install an auto mister? Also what would be the duration/amount of time per day best?
He looks very dehydrated and he hasn't been eating enough he is very skinny and can you take some better pics of him it looks like he may have MBD. but I can't tell. But honestly he looks really bad.

It is very important you do not give them ANY heat during the night unless if dips below 50 or so and even then no direct heat or light at night.
Ok, so I don't make any mistakes, not heat lamps or lights on at night at all? My house is about 69 at night? That won't be too cold for him every night.

Automisters are the way to go your cham does look like he could use it. I love my Climist system it was about $90 it is great the amount of time needed will vary depending on your species and what you have for drainage but my personal for my two veileds is set to go off for 2 min each time a few min after the lights come on in the morning then again 4 more times throught the day. If your poo is yellow you need to do more to help hydrate your cham try upping humidity with more live plants or a humidifier also I only use R/o water or distilled thru my Climist system. To me it looks like there is not much in terms of live plants to drink water from and hold moisture. I do like how your did your enclosure it looks great just add some cheap pothos plants with vines or some shefflera plants, palm plants, ficus, or many more.
Thank you so much for your reply. Ok I'll get the mister today, he has 4 live plants, usually it's 7, but 3 (ines I cannot grow it seems to save my life) keep dying. I keep replacing the. 2 are ferns and 1 extremely large ficus.... I was thinking about getting him s hanging photos plant, just not sure how to keep him out of the dirt on that one, I'll have to figure that out.

He looks very dehydrated and he hasn't been eating enough he is very skinny and can you take some better pics of him it looks like he may have MBD. but I can't tell. But honestly he looks really bad.
Here are some better photos, he eats about 10-12 large crickets that I gut load with potatoes, (just recently read about using carrots and other veggies, so I'll try that as well)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 117
unless you have a special bulb or leds for plant growth then you will always need to rotate your plants from in the cage in and out with others because they will need natural sunlight or evenually all plants normal bulbs or uvb bulbs do very little
I can grow mist anything, but even with my tongue held just right I can't keep a ficus, fern or a pointsettia alive to save my life, all his other plants seem to thrive.

MistKing seems to be the best option from the feedback on the forum. I have a Monsoon Rainfall system and I'm very happy with it. Before, I was using a homemade dripping system that let off a constant drip and I'd refill it a couple times a day plus I hand misted several times and had a ReptiFogger run a couple times a day. So the Monsoon made it so much easier.

I run it 3x a day on a timer for 6 mins. I run it one more time (varies depending on when I'm home) for a solid 10 mins. I haven't used the fogger since the Monsoon but will hand misted at least once because I enjoy doing it :)
Ok, I saw the monsoon one at the pet store (yes I know horrible places for lizards, but hey it's where I found my cold blooded baby ;) so I'm happy. I'll look to see which one is the easiest to run, Simon loves to be sprayed, actually walks into it, always has since he was a baby. And I enjoy making him happy.

Do you ever actually spray his body really good with a nice warm mist he may not like it but it will help him
All the time, every time I mist his enclosure I stay him directly, mostly started because he would walk into it when he was a wee thing, loves getting sprayed, so 2/3 times a day.

Sometimes when the cham gets older , they wont shed as soon as when they were younger,it starts of partially and it ends partially,but it will be all shed in time.
15.99 for those dry poop ,it better be a whiter urate poop lol,try get him to drink more by misting him more often.

Back
Top Bottom