Everyone meet....Bernie Chamders!

anil93

Just this past June of 2016, I went to a well known Reptile shop here in Orlando called "Pet Bazaar"(very good store by the way). I originally went in for some plain ol crickets, mealworms and hornworms for my jacksons and stumbled upon a great collection of Veiled's they had. There were three adults in particular. I tried to see if I could handle the first two but they were so mean(full on striking and bite attempts) and hissy that the employee couldn't even find a way to get them out of their enclosure. So we gave them a break and moved to the last one. The employee reached right underneath him very calmly and he kindly walked onto his arm and out the enclosure. He immediately stole my heart and I HAD to get him. I didn't have too much money at the time and my girlfriend actually bought him and the cage as a gift. We went to home depot, got him some real plants(ficus and palms) and he free ranges in my porch from time to time. And he's a true gentle giant. He has his times where he can be fussy but all and all he's a true jewel and visitors love seeing him when they come over and are amazed at his huge size. Well, here he is, comments and stories
20161211_115500.jpg
20161210_173915.jpg
20161206_191241.jpg
20161201_084020.jpg
20161125_120518.jpg
20161128_195553.jpg
20161204_155707.jpg

Wow, hes huge! Mine wont even let me put his food in his cage without him hissing at me, haha.

I think all is awesome, including the cham but for their pleasure it's better if you don't place the cage on the floor.
Thy are tree-dwellers so they will feel more secure up high (and a bit higher than the scary humans)

Wow, hes huge! Mine wont even let me put his food in his cage without him hissing at me, haha.

He certainly has his grumpy times. I maybe handle him 1-3 times per weeks and that's all. But other than that, he loves staying right under his basking spot with frequent mistings and hand feedings. He doesn't like crickets for some strange reason, only eats superworms and hornworms. But I gutload them very, very well.

I think all is awesome, including the cham but for their pleasure it's better if you don't place the cage on the floor.
Thy are tree-dwellers so they will feel more secure up high (and a bit higher than the scary humans)

I certainly agree! I'm in the process of getting both cages some stands! Whe I do i'll upload those pics as well!

He certainly has his grumpy times. I maybe handle him 1-3 times per weeks and that's all. But other than that, he loves staying right under his basking spot with frequent mistings and hand feedings. He doesn't like crickets for some strange reason, only eats superworms and hornworms. But I gutload them very, very well.
Those arent a very good staple.. Maybe try dubia roaches? If that doesent work try silkworms.

My cham is a little weird, he only eats one size of crickets, he wont eat them if they are a size bigger, or a size smaller, that might be your problem aswell.

Those arent a very good staple.. Maybe try dubia roaches? If that doesent work try silkworms.
yesss. I think I may try dubia's soon. It's just the whole roach thing kinda trips me out but im open to letting him try some. I may give him a few days and try reintroducing some crickets. Hornworms are like a couple per month when my local store has them.

yesss. I think I may try dubia's soon. It's just the whole roach thing kinda trips me out but im open to letting him try some. I may give him a few days and try reintroducing some crickets. Hornworms are like a couple per month when my local store has them.
Apparently they arent like house roaches and cant breed in house conditions, they will just die if they escape.

Unfortunately we Floridians can't have Dubia, however discoids work just as well and so do Orange Heads. That's a big boy! He looks good. When you replace your UVB the next time I would switch to a linear bulb though and ditch the coil.

Unfortunately we Floridians can't have Dubia, however discoids work just as well and so do Orange Heads. That's a big boy! He looks good. When you replace your UVB the next time I would switch to a linear bulb though and ditch the coil.

Thank you! And I certainly will go with linears next time around, I got these because I already had domes and they were offered at a cheap price at a past Repticon($10). I just couldn't afford a linear dome and a linear bulb at the time. heard its not so good in their eyes, but I use the Zoo Med Reptisun Mini CFL. It's not the standard coil shape like the "exo terra" brand. I can actually stare at it with 0 issues as the lumen output seems lower as compared to the exo terras I used to use as a kid. Those things would blind me, I cant imagine how chameleons perceive them. I def agree linear bulbs are better in terms of enclosure lighting and overall health but I really like these "Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0's" and would advise anyone to use them if they couldn't afford the linear and already have the dome and just need a bulb!

Discoid roaches are also legal in Florida. I am in the process of trying to get a colony going now. They cannot climb glass or smooth plastic tubs and cannot fly. I really hated the thought of roaches but these are escape proof and Fiona loves them. I only cup feed them so there is less chance of one getting away.

Back
Top Bottom