Ever "gaped/flared/displayed" back?

EpicWin

Okay, I know this may come off sounding a little ridiculous. But then again, maybe it won't.

I was recently blessed with an adorable little Ambilobe Blue Bar, he's about 5 months old now. (August 3rd) (pic is in my avatar)

Anyway, there are times I'm feeding him or just generally picking up a little "present" or two from off the cage bottom, and while it's not EVERY TIME, there have been about 3 times that I can count, where he would flare/gape at me.

I understand. A massive being is reaching his hands into your safe environment, moving stuff around and dropping bugs in there and shaking everything as he does it...

I can imagine I'd get a little territorial.

My question to you guys is, have you ever been "territorial" back at your chameleon? Can they ever get to a point where you've "respected" their territory after flaring, so much, that he ends up thinking the entire room is his? And thus, flaring, every time you walk in?

Obviously, this would be a very dramatic thing to happen EVERY time you simply walk into a room.

He currently lives in my bedroom, it's nice and quiet in there and I don't do much except sleep and feed my cham, make sure he's okay and all his equipment is working properly.

But I don't want him thinking he can be territorial in my room. (say i sit on my bed and he decides, "I'm gonna gape at Travis now.") Cage is understandable. So I'm curious if flaring/gaping back at your cham would even have any kind of dominance/alpha effect on them, or if it's mostly situational and it happens regardless of past dominance showings?

As a little bit of a small test I thought next time he gapes at me, I'll gape back at him. So it happened, he started gaping at me and I looked him in the eye and opened my mouth a little bit. (I feel insane, admitting this in public) And to my surprise, he close his shortly after, following a few seconds of gaping at each other. Ever since then, he's seemed way more open to me and interested in what I am as another creature on this planet. I come in the room and he climbs down his branches and watches me.

He's only gaped one more time after that, when I fed him today, and when I noticed, I opened my mouth at him and held my ground (my mouth is bigger haha) and he discontinued the gaping again.

What I've never done, for paranoia that he'll start to feel like he owns the place, is leave after he flares/gapes at me. I'm scared he'll get into that habit and think he can just tell me when to leave anytime he wants. lol

Ever growing in curiosity and awe of these little creatures...

Travis & Heisenberg the Cham

Haha I definitely have when my boy was being a naughty fella. He'd just tick me off to the point where I'd gape back while looking at him. Did it have any effect? I think that's hard to say.. he definitely noticed but I dont think that's what made my cham less aggressive/territorial. But it is plausible and in your case it sounds like it may have worked. I dont think he'd try to take over your room as territory, his cage provides enough as he knows that's his safe spot. Love his name btw.

Haha I definitely have when my boy was being a naughty fella. He'd just tick me off to the point where I'd gape back while looking at him. Did it have any effect? I think that's hard to say.. he definitely noticed but I dont think that's what made my cham less aggressive/territorial. But it is plausible and in your case it sounds like it may have worked. I dont think he'd try to take over your room as territory, his cage provides enough as he knows that's his safe spot. Love his name btw.

Lol thats hilarious gaping back at your chamelon

That's pretty funny that you've thought of that!:D
Generally I think the more time you spend in your room ignoring him, he will start to see you less as invading his space, but co-existing in his space. :)

Juvenile Panther Chameleons seem to go through a crabby, territorial teenage phase from about 5-6 months to about a year of age. After this most calm down.

I have not threat displayed to chameleons - I honestly don't think they are that smart. However I have done so to larger more cognizant herps like iguanas who do recognize that form of communication.

Haha thats funny. My setup is probably similar to yours in my room. Rango flares at me sometimes when I walk past and hissis really loud, hes a softy really. He deffo thinks he owns my room :):)

Hahaha nice!! Yeah lately too, if he flares, I've been trying hand-feeding him with a dubia or two and he settles down and turns all light and happy. I'm trying to get his lil' noggin to associate delicious food with my presence. And thanks!! I love that name lol, it's from my favorite TV show.

That's pretty funny that you've thought of that!:D
Generally I think the more time you spend in your room ignoring him, he will start to see you less as invading his space, but co-existing in his space. :)

Yeah, I'm not taking it too seriously as far as gaping back religiously, but occasionally I'll "display" back at him if he's being moody. But good pointer with the co-existing idea! I do try to ignore him if I go into my room for any other purpose besides checking on him or feeding/watering, but we're getting used to each other ;)

Video or it did not happen, lol

I'd pay to see that. hahaha

Juvenile Panther Chameleons seem to go through a crabby, territorial teenage phase from about 5-6 months to about a year of age. After this most calm down.

I have not threat displayed to chameleons - I honestly don't think they are that smart. However I have done so to larger more cognizant herps like iguanas who do recognize that form of communication.

SWEET! Thanks for this info, that's good to know. I do plan on getting an iguana as well in the next few years. I love how massive they get and I used to see this one guy who would take his to the park on a leash! What a trip.

Nice signature btw haha

Haha thats funny. My setup is probably similar to yours in my room. Rango flares at me sometimes when I walk past and hissis really loud, hes a softy really. He deffo thinks he owns my room :):)

Yeah right now he's in an 18"x12"x20" all-mesh and metal terrarium from Zilla (came in a kit from Screameleons, along with my lil ambilobe) and I set him up all nice in there with plenty of climbing opportunities and such. He's happy. haha

Hahaha! Well when I got him he wasn't the friendliest cham and would constantly gape at me and I finally was just like "ROARRRR! How do you like it!".. But ever since I started free ranging him he's been a nice guy.:D

NICE! I'd love to free-range my cham, like all throughout my house. Someday. do you have pics of your setup?

Back
Top Bottom