Eustis is shedding!

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’ve only had him a little over two weeks. This means he’s growing correct? Also he was estimated by someone here, I cant remember who, that he was probably 9 months to a year old even throw he’s small for his age. His body snout to vent was only about 4 inches long when I got him. They recommended that I feed him every day to try to make up for his poor beginnings. That being said, in the beginning he ate 5-6 crickets or Dubia a day with oc wax worms thrown in. His eating is slowing down to only about 4 feeders a day so today I didn’t feed him. Should I go to every other day feeding now?

Hey there. Yes it means he's growing. His slowing down of eating may be a result of him shedding. So wait until he's done to see how he's eating after that. My cham will usually slow down his eating habits when he sheds.

I feel bad now, Eustis is sitting on his branch where I put his feeding cup next to and he looks like he’s waiting for his food but it’s 6 pm almost and much too late to feed him. Oh well he’ll eat good tomorrow!

Here’s a picture of him gaping. It’s not too hot where he is. The ambient air temp is 75 and his basking branch above him is 85

Attachments

• 12786F20-69E9-4BAD-B02E-1BB89887B921.jpeg
    12786F20-69E9-4BAD-B02E-1BB89887B921.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 94
Here’s a picture of him gaping. It’s not too hot where he is. The ambient air temp is 75 and his basking branch above him is 85
Gaping like this is not a good thing... What are your humidity and ambient temps running? Are you hearing any coughing sounds or any weird breathing sounds?

Linda how long have you had him now? How long were you totally wrapping his cage at night? And where did you buy him from?

No sounds at all. My ambient temps at the time were around 75, basking 85 but of course he wasn’t basking then. My ambient temps right now are between 70 and 73. My humidity right now are 72% near the bottom, 67 near the top and 65% in the middle and the front of his enclosure is completely open and not overed.

I bought him from petco, I was not looking for a Cham, but I saw him and couldn’t leave him in that tiny aquarium to die! I’ve had him about two and a half weeks. I started wrapping his whole enclosure about a week ago.

I did just pm jacksjill a few minutes ago about it. He started shedding today and he had skin coming off of his face but when he was gaping it was all gone.

I did just pm jacksjill a few minutes ago about it. He started shedding today and he had skin coming off of his face but when he was gaping it was all gone.
Ok send her pics... If he is holding his mouth open then it is a major concern. I would be more worried about prior conditions at Petco and getting the RI. Not to mention you do not know where they got him from. If he is stretching to remove the shed then this is different. Jillian is amazing with basically everything but when it comes to Jacksons she is truly unbelievable with her knowledge.

I looked at the picture again and now I’m wondering if he’s seeing his reflection in the clear shower curtain at the back of his enclosure. Could that be why?

I looked at the picture again and now I’m wondering if he’s seeing his reflection in the clear shower curtain at the back of his enclosure. Could that be why?
I dunno looks like he is looking directly at you. Did he close his mouth right back up? Like did it look like a stretch and a yawn or did it look like he was just holding it open? I am not sure what color changes Jackson's do when it comes to being upset. When my veiled gapes out of anger I can see the color display to go with it so it is very clear when it is anger, Stretch/yawn, or something to watch out for.

When Jackson’s get upset they turn dark green with dark bands. I’m not sure what he did after I took the picture because. I came straight to my iPad to post it and ask if it’s something I should be worried about. I’ll just have to wait until jacksjill sees the message and replies. I don’t think he was yawning or anything. The next time I checked him his mouth was closed.

He maybe yawning to help him shed. If this continues after the shed or he starts spending his time with his head up then RI will be a concern.

Back
Top Bottom