Eustis is going to the vet tomorrow

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
The vet is completely booked but said he’d see him if I bring him and drop him off for the day. What do I take him in? Any suggestions would help. Do I go and buy a critter keeper and take him in that? That doesn’t have good airflow but neither does a cardboard box! What do I do about water and his food and uvb?

Drop him off for the day???? Does this vet have experience with a chameleon? That could be pretty dang stressful for him. You would want a solid box. small towel in the bottom and push a stick through one side to the other about 2 inches from the bottom of the box. Add a few small air holes. Box would be closed up so no light goes in. This way he hopefully sleeps rather then stresses.

Honestly either is probably OK, but I would go with a box if it is larger. Dark with a solid branch will help him stay calm. One day without food and UVB is not an issue

I called the vet office again to talk about this and they assured me they had experience with chameleons, even Jackson’s chams and that Eustis would be placed into a cage with everything he needs while he is there including uvb light And food. That made me feel better about it. I’m still not sure if I really need to take him but in my estimation, it’s better to be safe than sorry. These guys can go down hill fast. Thanks for the advice about what to take him in. I just have to find a box.

I called the vet office again to talk about this and they assured me they had experience with chameleons, even Jackson’s chams and that Eustis would be placed into a cage with everything he needs while he is there including uvb light And food. That made me feel better about it. I’m still not sure if I really need to take him but in my estimation, it’s better to be safe than sorry. These guys can go down hill fast. Thanks for the advice about what to take him in. I just have to find a box.
If nothing else you will get a baseline for weight and health status, PLUS a better chance of getting in as a priority in an emergency-vets always favor existing clients.

Okay, Eustis is home! He was only there for 4 hours I think. The vet called me and said that Eustis is healthy with no problems. He said they gape for a variety of reasons but he doesn’t think Eustis has an RI. They ran a fecal on a sample I brought them and it was completely clear so no parasites. Just great news all around! They weighed him and he weighs 30 grams.

Back
Top Bottom