escargot for Olive? snails from my woods

little leaf

Avid Member
ok, so spring is in the air :D I decide to go for a walk on the woods path, and I had seen a post about feeding snails to Jackson's - I decided to go snail hunting - here is what I found- are these indeed the snails they can eat? I can not find them online to ID them- anyone know the name of these,and if they are the ones she can eat - I also found rolly polly's and wood roaches - EWWWWWW on the roaches, I left them in the woods !!! :eek:

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 253
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 256
What is that roach? I think those are the correct snails but I have never had snails. But you know I am willing.:D someone will let us know.

there are all sizes - some are as big as the penny- just right for Lenny :D
how do I keep them? I had them on a wet paper towel - I hope she knows what to do w/ them - they move at the pace of a.........well, snail :p so movement is NOT going to get her attention -

has anyone fed snails before - how do you offer them ?

Don't you need to get them out of their shell before she will eat them?......we have a bunch of those around here also so I would like to know the answer....that might be so every good eating.

Don't you need to get them out of their shell before she will eat them?......we have a bunch of those around here also so I would like to know the answer....that might be so every good eating.

Amazingly, no.
Chams will crunch, crunch, crunch--shells and all.
The shells actually provide a good amount of calcium.

There has been some concern over the possibility of wild caught land snails harboring parasites---and you want to be 100% certain they haven't eaten any pesticides.

Water snails are absolutely known to harbor harmful parasites and any snail with a life cycle that takes place in water should be avoided.
According to one article by a longtime cham owner, he never found land snails to contain parasites and so he fed them to his chams.
Here was the last discussion about them, complete with Sandrachameleon's snail breeding instructions towards the end:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/very-interesting-about-land-snails-helix-aspersa-101980/

Jackson's are known to relish snails, so I hope to get a colony of snails going later in the year.

I would like to try them on her, but I need to get an ID first, these are not on the trees, they are on the ground, and under the dead trees, and mosses - but def/ not a water snail. I can not find the ID yet - but I also want to be sure she is 100% not acting weird in any way, and so of course she had a "odd" looking stool, so I will wait to be sure IF there are any changes, I will know its due to the snail- he still looked a little watery on top - normal little "football" brown part ( her poops always look like little footballs :p )

thanks for the link too =)

I was just going to post that same question :eek:
I don't know anything about these snails, personally, I would not fed them
to my chams unless I had positive ID on the species of snail.

Just so you know, wood roaches make good feeders. :p

They can climb but a simple 3 inch strip of vaseline easily stops them.

Just so you know, wood roaches make good feeders. :p

They can climb but a simple 3 inch strip of vaseline easily stops them.

HA..I found out I can climb A TREE when one got on me - :p I flipped a log, and it was just loaded with them - I will TRY to catch a few for her :eek:
as always.....anything for Olive :p:D

You're very welcome. :)
It is known that snails can harbor parasites.
What is unknown is whether or not the ones in the US can harbor parasites that can infect chams.
It isn't the sort of thing that anyone has studied scientifically, AFAIK.
Some parasites are very specific as to which animals they can infect.
Other parasites can not only infect a variety of animals but also can infect people.

The safest thing of course is to set up a breeding colony.
That's one of my plans for 2013, since I don't know for sure whether or not the wild snails are "cham safe".

Here are Sandrachamelon's instructions on that:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/133-snails.html

You can also try posting a picture or two of them in the ID section on bugguide.net for an ID. They are insect experts!

I wish I would have went snail hunting this weekend too! Good to know that we have some good land snails here in Ohio, and now I know where to look.

I really want to give Reggie Jackson a snail; he will tear them up! I have read that they instinctively know how to eat snails. You can imagine these are all over the place in their native, damp, environment.

I hope you read the earlier part of this thread so you're aware that the safest thing to do is to get a breeding colony going to be sure that you won't be feeding him anything that will give him parasites.

Back
Top Bottom