Enter the Mighty Ducks Man, Chameleo Estevez

YAY , we have brothers. :D

It should be fun to watch them grow up. He looks amazing, I am really enjoying the little ones I picked up from Kevin at the meeting.

He looks great!!! Sure to be a looker:) Glad you found the site, nice people to help you and the means to have a much better experience with a chameleon than your first. That guy has a great home!

Today my room had a slight flood as I left the house with the dripper on. My holes in the PVC got clogged and created a huge pool. I had to take out the PVC and put in some slightly bigger holes. Drainage is a dream now.

Took the little beast out real quick while doing the clean/fix.
P1016413.jpg

Measure

P1016414.jpg

ANGRY! Again! I put him back right after this, so he could enjoy his puddle-free cage.

Few things:

Today he only ate about 2 silkworms. He wasn't as eager to snatch them up as he was the crickets yesterday. He at a half inch sized one. So I decided to toss in one of the few big 1 inchers. A little under 1 inch maybe. I didn't witness him eating this one, but I didn't see it in his cage, even during the quick PVC fix/cleanup.

Is this as much as the handful of crickets he usually eats? Or maybe he is not as fond?

Everytime I water the cage he rubs his nose along all the large droplets formed on the top screen. He doesn't open his mouth but lets them run down his face. He has done this everytime. Is that strange?

Hey Chris and Kayleigh,

Let him get used to the silk worms. You’ll find they will probably be his favorite feeder! And I highly recommend them! He hasn’t seen one in a while because he and his siblings were mistaking each others tails for silks. Give them to him in the morning, if you think he needs food later, give him a few gut loaded crix, but mix it up a bit! Just don’t leave the crix in over night, they may chomp on him.

On the nose rubbing on the cage. I’d watch this. This guy should have a nice large rostral projection(nose) that you don’t want to get messed up. His dad’s is really big and nice. One of my favorite things about the guy. If he rubs hard and keeps on dong it, consider lowering the highest branches/perches a just a little . He may not be able to drink the droplets that collect on the top of the cage, but you can provide something else that will collect water so he has nice puddles to drink from that form on leaves and such.

Lastely, if you get a chance and the temps are above 60, put him outside to get some natural sunshine. It will make him happy;)

Talk to you later,

Kevin

Last edited:
Sounds good Kevin, thank you for the advice! I'm letting him warm up right now before I stick a worm in there. I was gonna grab some crix after class to keep just in case he never warms up to them.

I am quite worried about the rubbing. He seems to only do it when I water the top of the cage, perhaps I am stressing him out when I am there misting, who knows? I will keep an eye on his nose though, I don't want him hurting himself.

I'll stick him outside today if it warms up. I was afraid moving him after his new relocation to my house would be stressful, but I can see how going outside could be relaxing.

Thanks for the advice Kevin. I'll keep an eye on him and let everyone know what happens.

YAY , we have brothers. :D

It should be fun to watch them grow up. He looks amazing, I am really enjoying the little ones I picked up from Kevin at the meeting.

Looks like all 3 of us have brothers :p. And yes he does look awesome!!

Congrats,
Kevin is awesome and very helpful

Haha, can't wait to see them grow. Seems that my little guy is a step behind yours, obviously the "little bro" hahaha.

Anyways, 2 crickets down in 2 minutes and alot of his color came back. He seems much happier. Not too fond of those worms at all. Refused to eat any this morning. As soon as I put crix in there, he goes nuts.

Big updates,

First, Maggie, the veiled I watched for my neighbors then forwarded a rescue to Elisa, is doing better. You can read about her recovery here. Elisa is doing an amazing job with her care. Amazing.

Anyways, Chameleo Estevez is getting massive.
3-8-09.jpg

here he is on the 8th

P1016458.jpg

This is him a couple days ago. He is growing by almost an inch a week. Pretty crazy.

Appetite has gotten huge. He is on or off with silkworms, one day he loves em, the next he hates them. They started dropping like flies as of a couple days ago, so I was forced to throw them out today. When given the choice between a medium and a large worm, he ALWAYS goes for the fat juicy ones. I think he likes chewing the big ones slowly and letting the juice gush.

Totally fond of crickets still. Started to go for some of the bigger ones.

He's gotten totally comfortable with his cage and now spends a few hours a day roaming the top and bottom, checking things out around him. In fact he has gotten so comfortable, getting him to leave has become a hassle. He bit me last week. Didn't hurt, but holy hell is he feisty. Hahaha, I love his attitude, he has so much of it.

Eye turrets color has caught up to his big brother that pr3mo15 owns, but only when hes really fired up, it has become clearer everyday though. Catching up on the blues too, but not quite there yet. Everyday since his shed, the colors have gotten much bolder. His greens are really starting to pop, especially in natural sunlight.

P1016432.jpg

First shed.

P1016439.jpg

Awoken from a deep slumber.

I'd have to say, I am a fan of Chameleo Estevez although it is clear he is not a fan of me, hahaha. Slowly warming up to hand feeding though. We'll get there.

Dang, that guys is shooting up fast! Faster than his brothers here at least. Keep up the good work with him!

Its the silk worms from Mulberry Farms ;)

It better be!!!! They were doing pretty good up until a day ago, they started smelling like death even though I tossed out the frass. Then they started dying, up until then though, they were a great feeder.

Kevin (summoner), I need to take some roaches off your hands. What other feeders are local to us? I want to introduce him to a lot of new ones if I can.

KevinA, thanks for the compliments. He is only doing so well cause he came from great stock :)

Syn, I love when they shed too. They look so rediculous!

Kayleigh, my better half, decided that she likes calling Chameleo "Cham Wow" as in Sham Wow but with a Ch.
Her father has decided to call him "The Bug".
Strange nicknames for a strange animal.

Last edited:
hey chambabysitter1, i have chameleo's little brother ollie! KevinA sure knows how to breed em doesn't he? i think it's the barry white he throws on before the rendezvous.

you'll never guess what my guy did today...SHED! SAME DAY AS YOURS! pretty cool huh?

ollie is about an inch behind your dude so we'll have to see how big they get. best of luck!

Actually the shed picture is older, from the 7th

Wow, your little guy looks awesome. I can't wait to see how similar and different they will be once they get older. I love how tiny they are right now.

Actually the shed picture is older, from the 7th

Wow, your little guy looks awesome. I can't wait to see how similar and different they will be once they get older. I love how tiny they are right now.

oh well...way to rain on my parade!

yeah these dudes are pretty fun. mine has been loving the natural sun. his colors are bangin' when he's outside!

oh well...way to rain on my parade!

yeah these dudes are pretty fun. mine has been loving the natural sun. his colors are bangin' when he's outside!

Totally agree there. The greens are so deep when they see natural sunlight.

Wait till you see how fast they grow, it's kind of shocking. Putting it into perspective he is growing about 1/6th-1/8th of himself every week. Considering the food he is packing away though, it better be going somewhere.

New measure done today. His blues are shockingly blue now, they came out of left field what seems like a few days ago.

Turning in a little giant too. Hasn't bit me since, but still a feisty one! He has been roaming ALOT this week in his cage, climbing the top too. Glad to see he is active, he may want to move sooner rather than later though. We shall see.

P1016461.jpg

Something like 9 inches now.

P1016460.jpg

P1016459.jpg

Angry bars!

I love the red rays comming off the eyes that these guys have. Looks like his are going to be nice.

He should be getting some red on his shoulder and front belly pretty soon too.

What size cage are you going to put him in for his big boy home? Keeping him in the smaller one for a little while will keep him closer to the food and may help with getting him to be as large as his dad. But he should be a big guy reguardless considering the size of his mom and dad.

Looks great though! Lets see the next shed:)

Lily: Thank you very much for the compliments

Kevin: I got a 2x2x4 setup. I actually have it setup outside, but the size seemed to overwhelm him a couple weeks ago, so I just carry out his baby cage in my hands instead.

I can't wait for more of his reds to come in, he is already surprising me everyday with his color. His old man had some amazing coloration, I hope he can match some of that.

His shed should be soon too, he is getting opaque in areas, at least it seems so. Maybe it's just me wanting him to shed so I can see his new colors. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom