Enough plants and vines

Burnie

Chameleon Info:
Name-Flash, Veiled- Driskel Bloodline
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Male approx 3 months, 1 week

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Twice, removing him from shipping container, a few days later

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Pinhead crickets, Pro Gutload in the late morning after he has warmed up. In the future when large enough Dubia, superworms, mealworms, have colonies of each

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Rep-Cal Calcium w/ Vit D and Rep-Cal Herptivite
Reptisafe water conditioner

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Little Dripper, spray with conditioned water once a day, drinks off leaves

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Typical

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Bought from FL Chams, hides from me when I approach closely
◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Screen front, screen top, 3 glass sides 18x18x36 this was a Reptile Terrarium with only a screen top that I turned on its end and screened the top for lighting
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 24" lamp, 75W basking lamp

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking temp 100, 75 overnight

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
80% Little dripper, spraying conditioned water, live golden pothos plant

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
golden pothos plant

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Living room, using a computer cooling fan on top of the enclosure for airflow, 4'6"

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?
Illinois

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Are there enough plants and branches, Start feeding a variety when his mouth is large enough? Will he eat the pothos. Too many plants and vines and I can't find the little fellow.
Enclosure.JPG
Side.JPG
SideA.JPG
Flash.JPG

Chameleon Info:
Name-Flash, Veiled- Driskel Bloodline
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Male approx 3 months, 1 week

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Twice, removing him from shipping container, a few days later

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Pinhead crickets, Pro Gutload in the late morning after he has warmed up. In the future when large enough Dubia, superworms, mealworms, have colonies of each

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Rep-Cal Calcium w/ Vit D and Rep-Cal Herptivite
Reptisafe water conditioner

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Little Dripper, spray with conditioned water once a day, drinks off leaves

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Typical

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Bought from FL Chams, hides from me when I approach closely
◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Screen front, screen top, 3 glass sides 18x18x36 this was a Reptile Terrarium with only a screen top that I turned on its end and screened the top for lighting
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 24" lamp, 75W basking lamp

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking temp 100, 75 overnight

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
80% Little dripper, spraying conditioned water, live golden pothos plant

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
golden pothos plant

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Living room, using a computer cooling fan on top of the enclosure for airflow, 4'6"

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?
Illinois

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Are there enough plants and branches, Start feeding a variety when his mouth is large enough? Will he eat the pothos. Too many plants and vines and I can't find the little fellow. View attachment 216551 View attachment 216552 View attachment 216553 View attachment 216554
How long do you gutload your feeders for before you feed them? How often do you supplement and with what? Phosphorous free calcium without D3 should be dusted over every feeder right before every feeding, phosphorous free calcium with D3 should be given twice monthly, and a multivitamin should be given twice monthly. You need to mist at least 2-3 times a day for at least 2 minutes each. You took the glass panel off of the top, right? Eventually he need a minimum size cage of 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall, preferably screen. The basking temp is too high, the veiled care sheet here has proper temps for different ages. The humidity is too high for a veiled. As long the feeders are appropriately sized, you can feed as much variety as you want. He needs more branches and vines, mostly horizontal, throughout.

Pinhead crickets are on gutload substrate, hard to tell right now. I'll take your advice on the calcium and vitamin. I will lower the basking branch he uses and put another I have ready in there. Would spraying more not increase the humidity? I know eventually he will need a bigger enclosure. On the FLChams website it says that the Driskel Bloodline get larger, has anyone found this to be true? Thank you

Pinhead crickets are on gutload substrate, hard to tell right now. I'll take your advice on the calcium and vitamin. I will lower the basking branch he uses and put another I have ready in there. Would spraying more not increase the humidity? I know eventually he will need a bigger enclosure. On the FLChams website it says that the Driskel Bloodline get larger, has anyone found this to be true? Thank you
It would, I’d rather let an expert chime in on this, like @jannb or @Brodybreaux25 etc.

Welcome to the forum, awesome Cham! You will have lots of comments coming your way, only trying to help.

Agree with above^ Humidity is too high, basking is way too high. Get it to 85 max.

You should have to struggle a bit to find your Cham in its viv. Keep in mind the viv should be designed to meet the chams needs, what we find visually appealing is a secondary concern.

I’m not very familiar with Driskel but I do seem to recall hearing that he is one of the larger males.

What are you calling a gutload substrate?

How orange are the urates?

Gutload needs to be organic fresh fruits and veggies and/or a quality commercial gutload like Cricket Crack, Pangea, Mazuri, Repashy, etc. You can put the fruits and veg in a food processor or blender then put the purée in unflavored gelatin for easier feeding and more water. Turning the commercial gutload into a paste with water (following the instructions) also works. Water gel/crystals aren’t the most sanitary, but they, along with cotton balls soaked in water, will also work to water your feeders

In the past I have had a leopard gecko, bearded dragon, jeweled lacerta so I know how to keep my colonies of insects going. Also my male and female pair of Chinese Water Dragons are doing well. Pro Gutload is my substrate/gutload with superworms, mealworm, carrots, potato peels, lettuce etc. for water. Dubias get water crystals and crushed dog food. I wont have crickets as a staple to his diet. Poo is white and brown, the few I have seen.

In the past I have had a leopard gecko, bearded dragon, jeweled lacerta so I know how to keep my colonies of insects going. Also my male and female pair of Chinese Water Dragons are doing well. Pro Gutload is my substrate/gutload with superworms, mealworm, carrots, potato peels, lettuce etc. for water. Dubias get water crystals and crushed dog food. I wont have crickets as a staple to his diet. Poo is white and brown, the few I have seen.
You’re going to feed superworms and mealworms as staples? Don’t feed dog food to dubia. Try silkworms and other types of roaches (red runners, green bananas, orange-headed, ivory-headed, etc.), mantids, BSFL and BSF, blue bottle flies and spikes, butterworms, hornworms, etc. for more variety

Here’s an excerpt from the gutloading part of the food and nutrition tab in resources:

Suggested Ingredients

Best - These gutloading ingredients are best because they are highest in calcium, low in phosphorus, oxalates and goitrogens. They should be the primary components of your gutload: mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya, watercress and alfalfa.

Good - These gutloading ingredients are good because they are moderately high in calcium and other vitamins/minerals. They should be used in addition to those from the previous category: sweet potato, carrots, oranges, mango, butternut squash, kale, apples, beet greens, blackberries, bok choy and green beans.

These fresh fruits and vegetables can be combined with dry gutload mixes or home made mixes for optimal well-rounded nutrition. Dry ingredients can include: bee pollen, organic non-salted sunflower seeds, spirulina, dried seaweed, flax seed and organic non-salted almonds.

Avoid These Ingredients

Avoid these gutloading ingredients because they are low in calcium, high in phosphorus, goitrogens or oxalates: potatoes, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, grains, beans, oats, bread, cereal, meat, eggs, dog food, cat food, fish food, canned or dead insects, vertebrates.

I would add some more vines and branches also. Make sure to run some of them horizontally from one side of the cage to the other. The more walkways, the better!!

An update to my enclosure. Changed to all live plants pothos and schefflera. I think Flash likes it a lot more! I will grow the pothos up on the 3 horizontal bamboo sticks. 3D printed the mealworm dish and pot trays. I know I will need a bigger enclosure as he grows. Here is a a short vid and a couple of pics of Flash

An update to my enclosure. Changed to all live plants pothos and schefflera. I think Flash likes it a lot more! I will grow the pothos up on the 3 horizontal bamboo sticks. 3D printed the mealworm dish and pot trays. I know I will need a bigger enclosure as he grows. Here is a a short vid and a couple of pics of Flash
You’re feeding mealworms? Could you post the pics and video, please, they didn’t show up

Back
Top Bottom