Enough light?

laxworriors100

Hello everyone,

I'm a new chameleon owner and very excited. I bought a baby veiled chameleon and he was very active in the store and i know he's shy right now but he doesnt go to far from one spot and i think it could be cause there is enough light/heat. During the day i have a 75 watt basking light and a red 75 heat lamp on too. and during the night i just have the red heat lamp on. And i also have a couple other questions too. ohh and i have a reptile breeze, 16 x 16 x 20 cage.

How big should the crickets be? i bought some today and they are really small. i can barley find them in my cage.

Does anyone know is a drip method or a misting method is better?

Thanks for the Help :)

welcome to the forums!!!

i would get rid of the night light. it isnt needed.

75 watts might be too hot. the temps at his basking spot should be 90max. 80 to 85 is what most people will recommend

you will need a dripper and misting at least 3 times a day.

also you didnt mention a uvb light. you will need to get one of those.

oh i forgot to mention that my cage is in my basement too. do you still think i should get rid of it? and no i dont have one if those. is that a necessity?

and thanks for the reply

uvb is very necessary. repti-sun 5 or repti-glo 5 is the recommended bulbs

what are the temps in the cage? what are the temps in the basement?
you dont have to worry about heating at night unless the temps fall below 60.

for a dripper i would get any clean container and poke a small hole in it.

your mister can be a hand held spray bottle.

you could save alot of money by going to home depot, walmart, ect and getting a hood. then just pick up one of those bulbs mentioned.

sorry im asking so many question but i just want whats best for him. Would a regular florecent light fixture be fine?

and thanks for the help again.

yea they will work. it doesnt have to be anything special. but the bulb is the important factor.

no problem with questions....fire away.

unfortunately not. those bulbs are known to cause eye problems with chameleons. the safe bulbs to use are linear bulbs mentioned.

i cant seem to find a linear repti glo buld. and if you dont mind could you possibly send me a link on home depot or lowes of what you were talking about? i cant really find anything that will fit my 20" cage.

any fluorescent light fixture will do the job.

lll reptile is an excellent place to get supplies.

alright thanks for all the help i think i found what i want and will go out tomorrow for it. ohh and i wish i know about that store before i bought all the stuff for my chameleon.

are you dusting your crickets? dont forget your supplements

and cricket size matters on how big your cham is. its always safer to go alittle smaller than what you think so you cham doesnt choke.

Back
Top Bottom