Enlarged Kidneys

So happy to hear that your getting her in with Dayna. She is amazing. Wish I had a Dr. Dayna here lol. Fingers crossed for you. ❤️

Welp after two and a half days of bothering the Dr. Dayna they are squeezing her in today at 11am. Even the receptionist said "if anyone can figure out what's wrong with her Dr. Dayna can. Mona is holding out and actually puffed up a little bit today so I'm feeling hopeful how.

Dayna is also envisions with chameleons. I hope she can help.

Hi Sable. I am sorry to hear of Mona‘s troubles.

I had a Parsons who unfortunately passed due to kidney failure and suspected sepsis. He was only in my care for 4 weeks and seemed to be healthy the first 3 weeks. He had a serious mouth infection a few months before coming into my care and was on two diff antibiotics for a month… so the consensus was the antibiotics and possibly a secondary infection caused the kidneys to fail.

He was seemingly doing very well at first, but I caught him with his eyes closed in his last week. He otherwise looked healthy and was eating and drinking. I was able to get him a vet appointment with an excellent vet in a neighboring state (SEAVS in VA). Overnight he was hanging by his tail and fell, and was very very quickly declining the next morning. I didn’t think we were going to make it to the vet appointment at noon but he held on for another day. I had asked the vet at the appointment if we should euthanize him or if he had a chance. She wanted to wait for the bloodwork. The vet physically felt that he was constipated (due to his kidneys being enlarged). Bloodwork shows that he was in severe kidney failure and also likely septic. This was all due to the previous infection and the strenuous treatment the followed.

I’m sorry that my story does not have a happy ending, and I don’t mean to bring bad news. Just my experience. But he did decline extremely quickly from the onset of symptoms of kidney disorder. Had I known at the time I would have had him euthanized to spare him the pain that he experienced in his last day. His bloodwork didn’t come back until two days after he had already passed.

Hi Sable. I am sorry to hear of Mona‘s troubles.

I had a Parsons who unfortunately passed due to kidney failure and suspected sepsis. He was only in my care for 4 weeks and seemed to be healthy the first 3 weeks. He had a serious mouth infection a few months before coming into my care and was on two diff antibiotics for a month… so the consensus was the antibiotics and possibly a secondary infection caused the kidneys to fail.

He was seemingly doing very well at first, but I caught him with his eyes closed in his last week. He otherwise looked healthy and was eating and drinking. I was able to get him a vet appointment with an excellent vet in a neighboring state (SEAVS in VA). Overnight he was hanging by his tail and fell, and was very very quickly declining the next morning. I didn’t think we were going to make it to the vet appointment at noon but he held on for another day. I had asked the vet at the appointment if we should euthanize him or if he had a chance. She wanted to wait for the bloodwork. The vet physically felt that he was constipated (due to his kidneys being enlarged). Bloodwork shows that he was in severe kidney failure and also likely septic. This was all due to the previous infection and the strenuous treatment the followed.

I’m sorry that my story does not have a happy ending, and I don’t mean to bring bad news. Just my experience. But he did decline extremely quickly from the onset of symptoms of kidney disorder. Had I known at the time I would have had him euthanized to spare him the pain that he experienced in his last day. His bloodwork didn’t come back until two days after he had already passed.
Thank you. I actually just got home from burying Mona on my dad's land next to our passed dogs. She declined so quickly and when I got to Dr. Dayna in Aurora she was able to run blood work. Her uric acid was high and her kidneys were failing. She looked at the x ray my normal vet took and I found out he was so wrong and knew nothing about internal anatomy. The two spots he said were her enlarged Kidneys (I found out no were NEAR her kidneys) were actually two undeveloped egg follicles from her lay two and a half weeks ago. Vet said she may live another week, but her stomach was distended and causing her pain and I'd have to force feed her oral pain meds for her last days. She wouldn't have survived sedation, much less surgery. We decided the best option was euthanasia. I'm so thankful to these forums for teaching me how to give her a good life, and even more thankful to the forums and Jann for pointing me to a really good vet who knew what she was talking about. I will never take my other Cham Coza to the vet I have been with, and will gladly make the hour and a half trip to Dr. Dayna. People always say these chams hide medical problems and can decline so quickly, and damn, are they right.

I still have Coza and will cherish her.

Thank you. I actually just got home from burying Mona on my dad's land next to our passed dogs. She declined so quickly and when I got to Dr. Dayna in Aurora she was able to run blood work. Her uric acid was high and her kidneys were failing. She looked at the x ray my normal vet took and I found out he was so wrong and knew nothing about internal anatomy. The two spots he said were her enlarged Kidneys (I found out no were NEAR her kidneys) were actually two undeveloped egg follicles from her lay two and a half weeks ago. Vet said she may live another week, but her stomach was distended and causing her pain and I'd have to force feed her oral pain meds for her last days. She wouldn't have survived sedation, much less surgery. We decided the best option was euthanasia. I'm so thankful to these forums for teaching me how to give her a good life, and even more thankful to the forums and Jann for pointing me to a really good vet who knew what she was talking about. I will never take my other Cham Coza to the vet I have been with, and will gladly make the hour and a half trip to Dr. Dayna. People always say these chams hide medical problems and can decline so quickly, and damn, are they right.

I still have Coza and will cherish her.

I am so so sorry for your loss. Keep her pictures and memory close to your heart and know that you gave her your best.

I had a similar experience with a vet who was supposedly very reputable… But after three visits they just didn’t seem to help my Chameleon Penelope‘s eye issue. So I made the hour and a half trip to Virginia / SEAVS and they corrected an issue that was very painful for Penne for almost a year… In 15 minutes. Sometimes you have to trust your gut or go for a change or second opinion. Was the vet able to pick up anything with the kidneys on the x-ray, even though it was eggs that was a major factor? Just curious as the kidney failure in my guy had caused the kidneys to swell.

I am so so sorry for your loss. Keep her pictures and memory close to your heart and know that you gave her your best.

I had a similar experience with a vet who was supposedly very reputable… But after three visits they just didn’t seem to help my Chameleon Penelope‘s eye issue. So I made the hour and a half trip to Virginia / SEAVS and they corrected an issue that was very painful for Penne for almost a year… In 15 minutes. Sometimes you have to trust your gut or go for a change or second opinion. Was the vet able to pick up anything with the kidneys on the x-ray, even though it was eggs that was a major factor? Just curious as the kidney failure in my guy had caused the kidneys to swell.
She didn't see much of the kidneys in the x ray, just the blood work told her what was up. I'm really glad I got the second opinion.

I just ordered some framed photos of her and two weeks ago to the day I had her face tattood on me adorned in jewels and a crown. We always called her the Lizard Queen so I'm very happy to have her immortalized on my body.

The vet also gave me this adorable clay print that I have baking right now.
IMG-20210731-WA0002.jpeg

I'm really sorry for your loss! It took me 3 vets to get the right one. The first two were listed on the ARAV site and others and were highly recommended. Neither had the knowledge needed for them to treat my chams. My third vet was never listed on any reptile vet websites but is the absolute best! When my previous two chams passed, she gave me foot print clays, too. Once it heals, I would love to see your tattoo of her, as well (if it's alright with you). I'm sending some healing energy your way! Let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

Back
Top Bottom