Enclosures for T. Jacksonii Jacksonii

cordonwade

Hey everyone!

I had a couple of reptibreeze's (18x18x36) that were empty, so I decided to set them up this weekend for hopefully some new additions! I've been thinking about some Jackson's of the machakos hills region (rainbow jackson's, t. jacksonii jacksonii). What do you all think about the sizes of these enclosures for a pair?(housed separately obviously)

Attachments

• image0 (3).jpeg
    image0 (3).jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 118
Thanks for the tag, @kinyonga ! If your uvb is on point, then I’d highly recommend adding way more horizontal branch work in the top half of your cages. Also, there’ll be a visual barrier, right? Are you able to give them a good nighttime temp drop...like below 60?

I think @JacksJill will share her experience with nighttime temps, but I get good results dropping all my jacks down into the low 50’s.

Do you have a solar meter? There is some evidence that montane chameleons benefit from higher than usual uvb levels, provided they have dappled shade throughout the upper reaches of their enclosures.

So, just off the top of my head, a ton more horizontal branches in the top half of your enclosure, with the highest of which close enough to your uvb to see uv indexes ~6—with foliage crating dappled shade.

Thanks for the tag, @kinyonga ! If your uvb is on point, then I’d highly recommend adding way more horizontal branch work in the top half of your cages. Also, there’ll be a visual barrier, right? Are you able to give them a good nighttime temp drop...like below 60?

I think @JacksJill will share her experience with nighttime temps, but I get good results dropping all my jacks down into the low 50’s.

Do you have a solar meter? There is some evidence that montane chameleons benefit from higher than usual uvb levels, provided they have dappled shade throughout the upper reaches of their enclosures.

So, just off the top of my head, a ton more horizontal branches in the top half of your enclosure, with the highest of which close enough to your uvb to see uv indexes ~6—with foliage crating dappled shade.
Thanks for your opinion! After getting it all organized, I realized that you're right, some more horizontal branches higher up would be a good move. And yes, I do plan on giving them a significant nighttime drop. I'm currently running a T5 5.0 zoo med lamp for the UVB, which seems that higher up in the enclosure should provide the higher UVB levels. That being said, I do have access to a solar meter, so I can definitely check it to be sure.

Again, thank you so much for your opinion. I plan on breeding the pair, so I want to make sure I do it right.

Here’s what I keep my TJJ in

Attachments

• 9AD58AEF-0AA0-4851-8B56-65C1270C661A.jpeg
    9AD58AEF-0AA0-4851-8B56-65C1270C661A.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 104
Here’s what I keep my TJJ in
Ya you definitely have more horizontal branching. I'll grab some more wood this week. And to answer one of your previous questions, yes I do plan on dividing them. I thought I could just measure out some black garbage bags and cut them to size, and tape them to the interior sides with electrical tape. Do you have any suggestions that might be more ideal?

Thanks for your opinion! After getting it all organized, I realized that you're right, some more horizontal branches higher up would be a good move. And yes, I do plan on giving them a significant nighttime drop. I'm currently running a T5 5.0 zoo med lamp for the UVB, which seems that higher up in the enclosure should provide the higher UVB levels. That being said, I do have access to a solar meter, so I can definitely check it to be sure.

Again, thank you so much for your opinion. I plan on breeding the pair, so I want to make sure I do it right.
That’s awesome! If you do breed, consider individually raising the babies. @JacksJill just set up a beautiful individual caving setup, you should check it out.

here’s the link:https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...babes-jacksonii-jacksonii.178088/post-1606138

Ya you definitely have more horizontal branching. I'll grab some more wood this week. And to answer one of your previous questions, yes I do plan on dividing them. I thought I could just measure out some black garbage bags and cut them to size, and tape them to the interior sides with electrical tape. Do you have any suggestions that might be more ideal?
Anything that creates a visual barrier will work. Because you’re running screen, though, I think a plastic barrier would be a great idea! Since you’ll be aiming for nearly 100% RH at night, the more plastic sides you have, the better.

18x18x36 is the size I use for most of my adults. I let my house drop down to 60 F for most of the year. I don't doubt 59 F is great but I have to live in my house so we have to compromise.
I use pvc sheets between cages and to wrap the back and sides to hold in humidity and save my walls from over spray.
I have unrelated pairs. PM me if you are interested and I will send you some pictures.

Back
Top Bottom