Enclosure type questions.

Fraudrin

Hi All,
Im planning on getting a Panther Chameleon as I have finally moved out and am ready for my own reptile. I live in Minnesota, so the temperature outside changes drastically, so I wasn't sure if they would affect which type of enclosure I should buy. As it goes with having pets you learn many things in the first few weeks of owning, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they feel about Mesh vs Glass enclosures, and If Live vs fake plants really plays a huge role in a good enclosure. Also if you have any first time buyer tips or things I should purchase ahead of time please let me know thanks.

Hi All,
Im planning on getting a Panther Chameleon as I have finally moved out and am ready for my own reptile. I live in Minnesota, so the temperature outside changes drastically, so I wasn't sure if they would affect which type of enclosure I should buy. As it goes with having pets you learn many things in the first few weeks of owning, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they feel about Mesh vs Glass enclosures, and If Live vs fake plants really plays a huge role in a good enclosure. Also if you have any first time buyer tips or things I should purchase ahead of time please let me know thanks.
There is no hard and fast rule about glass vs screen. For those in a very dry climate, glass may be preferred to maintain humidity. Ideal humidity for a Panther is between 50-70%.
Live plants are always preferred. Those too will help maintain humidity while providing natural shade, climbing area and enrichment for your cham and aesthetics for you.
As for what to buy...where to begin! Get the largest enclosure to start. Usually a 2x2x4’ or equivalent is the minimum. You’ll need a linear T5HO light for uvb with either a 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. Fixture should span the width of the enclosure. A basking fixture and basking bulb...most use just a plain old fashioned incandescent light bulb instead of overpriced special bulbs. Depending on your plants, you may want/need a plant or grow bulb. You’ll need a way to mist or spray the leaves for your cham to drink. You can use everything from a spray bottle to an automated system like a Mist King. Some use drippers. This can be anything from a solo cup with a thumb tack hole in the bottom to a brand name Little (or big) dripper. Plants, of course. Supplements: the basic supplements are phosphorus free calcium without D3 for daily use, calcium with D3 and A multivitamin, both of which you’ll use twice a month on alternating weeks. Last but not least you’ll need feeders. Most start with crickets, but there are so many other and better feeders available...bsfl, roaches, silkworms, etc.
Great resources that will help are Neptune the Chameleon on YouTube and chameleon academy.com.

Almost forgot...it’s always a good idea to find the nearest vet that is experienced and knowledgeable about chameleons. Hopefully you’ll never need their services, but if you do, knowing who and where helps greatly.

There is no hard and fast rule about glass vs screen. For those in a very dry climate, glass may be preferred to maintain humidity. Ideal humidity for a Panther is between 50-70%.
Live plants are always preferred. Those too will help maintain humidity while providing natural shade, climbing area and enrichment for your cham and aesthetics for you.
As for what to buy...where to begin! Get the largest enclosure to start. Usually a 2x2x4’ or equivalent is the minimum. You’ll need a linear T5HO light for uvb with either a 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. Fixture should span the width of the enclosure. A basking fixture and basking bulb...most use just a plain old fashioned incandescent light bulb instead of overpriced special bulbs. Depending on your plants, you may want/need a plant or grow bulb. You’ll need a way to mist or spray the leaves for your cham to drink. You can use everything from a spray bottle to an automated system like a Mist King. Some use drippers. This can be anything from a solo cup with a thumb tack hole in the bottom to a brand name Little (or big) dripper. Plants, of course. Supplements: the basic supplements are phosphorus free calcium without D3 for daily use, calcium with D3 and A multivitamin, both of which you’ll use twice a month on alternating weeks. Last but not least you’ll need feeders. Most start with crickets, but there are so many other and better feeders available...bsfl, roaches, silkworms, etc.
Great resources that will help are Neptune the Chameleon on YouTube and chameleon academy.com.

Almost forgot...it’s always a good idea to find the nearest vet that is experienced and knowledgeable about chameleons. Hopefully you’ll never need their services, but if you do, knowing who and where helps greatly.
Thank you a ton for the info, this is exactly what I was looking for.

My 2 cents... Get a hygrometer... Thermpro makes one. See what your ambient levels are in your home before you decide on screen or glass.

Secondly it is an expensive, sometimes stressful, and rewarding hobby. Knowing exactly what your getting into is important IMO. So before you take the plunge... I would read every module in this husbandry program.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Hi All,
In addition to screen & glass, there's also a "hybrid" enclosure, where the back & sides are PVC, glass, wood, or some other impervious material, and the front & top are screened. This may be a better option for your locale.

Whether or not you go bioactive, live plants are the way to go—no question.

Read everything in the Resources section on this site, and I'll second the Chameleon Academy info.
These resources will provide you with a list of everything you'll need.
For thermometers & hygrometers, I recommend combination digital units with probes.
I also second that this is an expen$ive (money pit) hobby. To do it right, be prepared to spend in the neighborhood of $1000—before getting the chameleon itself.

I started a database (of sorts) to keep & organize information about chameleons & their care. I used OneNote, but there are other organizers that would work as well, depending on your preferences.

Here is my 2 cents. I had a glass enclosure and I loved it. I went bio active with it. It maintained humidity and proper heat levels. The only problem later was that it ended up being too small. I had a Zoomed Skyscraper enclosure. So I ended up having to get a 4x2x2 with the mesh. I think you can get a hybrid from Dragon Stand that's half glass and half mesh but it's a investment but you do get what you pay for in quality which it is good quality. Anyway, I digress and at this point it's just going to be a matter of preference and affordability. :)

Back
Top Bottom