Enclosure Review

silverkekoa

Hello! I'm new here and I will be getting a 2 year old male Cham soon. I just set up his enclosure. Do you think he will like it? I tried to set up plenty of pathways for him to use. It's an XL ReptiBreeze.
Thank you,
Felicia

Attachments

• 20220116_170247.jpg
    20220116_170247.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220116_170339.jpg
    20220116_170339.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220116_170852.jpg
    20220116_170852.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 72
So I would get new lighting. One of those I posted and a plant with branches and also add some sticks. I walk around and collect sticks when I need some. Just wash them and let dry. You want a basking branch about 8-9 inches from basking light. And lots of hiding places which will be when you put another plant in. Keep that one also

I see, I've found out through experience and through this forum that t8 doesn't penetrate uvb/ uva throughout the enclosure. So in the long run you chameleon can suffer with problems. You need t5. Also don't use the 100 watt that is way to hot for any chameleon. All you need is that 60 watt and maybe depending where your located a 70 watt. Once placed correctly 60-65watt should give you a basking spot of 80° or so.

Hi! :) I can’t really go over in detail about anything as I’m working. @Chameleoking has given you great advice on correct lighting. Since you haven’t yet gotten your chameleon I suggest returning the T8 light that you’ve bought and getting instead a T5. This one is good and comes with the 5.0 bulb. https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-...3&sr=1-1-5e1b2986-06e6-4004-a85e-73bfa3ee44fe Then your basking area should be about 8-9” below to provide ideal uv index of 3.0.
You’ve got a good start on your enclosure, but you definitely need to add branches and vines. I’ve used the same dracaena that you have, but placed it in the corner and had other plants with more branches and vines for my chameleons. While it may take a bit of time to get, I love Dragon Ledges for hanging plants and everything else chameleons need. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/
Just to maybe give you some ideas, here’s pics of one of my enclosures using dragon ledges.
DC520375-F6CA-4F04-ADD1-53FECD63F3B9.jpeg

Gotta get back to work now. Do please ask any questions you may have. We love helping new keepers make the very best homes for their chameleons. :)

Get the T5HO fixture with the 5.0 or 6% bulb.. then basking would sit 8-9 inches below this fixture.... Get rid of the 100 watt bulb you should not need more then 60 watt to get a 80 degree basking.... 160 watts would cause major thermal burns.

Why are they getting rid of a 2 year old cham? what type is it? You need to find out details about this cham.... What UVB lighting it had, What supplementation and schedule it has been on, have they ever gotten a fecal test, any passed health issues, what are they feeding it. ETC... You do not want to end up with a 2 year old that has major health issues this gets extremely expensive....

Read everything in this husbandry program. Need some additional changes to the cage. Including a wired temp probe at basking. get rid of the moss covered vines they are not good on their feet.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

I just ordered the new UVB. Later today I will go stick hunting and once they are clean and dried I will re-arrange his habitat to get this basking spot higher (and 60w bulb) and more branches/vines for him. When I was plant hunting I did see a fig, but the options were either taller then me (i'm pretty short LOL) or tiny, but I will maybe see if there are some other plant stores near me that may have better options.
I did ask about his feeding schedule and what he eats, but I will ask about all of those questions as well. He is this beauty right here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/stunning-ambilobe-male-fs-sold-sold-sold.185600/

Thank you so much everyone!!!! I will most def ask any more questions that come up, I want this guy to have a comfy home.

I just ordered the new UVB. Later today I will go stick hunting and once they are clean and dried I will re-arrange his habitat to get this basking spot higher (and 60w bulb) and more branches/vines for him. When I was plant hunting I did see a fig, but the options were either taller then me (i'm pretty short LOL) or tiny, but I will maybe see if there are some other plant stores near me that may have better options.
I did ask about his feeding schedule and what he eats, but I will ask about all of those questions as well. He is this beauty right here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/stunning-ambilobe-male-fs-sold-sold-sold.185600/

Thank you so much everyone!!!! I will most def ask any more questions that come up, I want this guy to have a comfy home.
Ok perfect. He looks good and it is a long time member rehoming him. Just wanted to make sure it was not a craigslist purchase. ;)

Okay, update. The new UVB comes in Friday, I moved the basking spot up and have the 60w only. I added more sticks and rearranged his enclosure.
It's a WIP but I have it noted to replace the mossy sticks with Bamboo and to replace the plant with a better one once I find a decent sized fig/umbrella/ect.
I have been running g night fogging and only get up to 80% which was bottom range for night. Is that okay?

Attachments

• 20220118_174334.jpg
    20220118_174334.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220118_174406.jpg
    20220118_174406.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220118_174745.jpg
    20220118_174745.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220118_095521.jpg
    20220118_095521.jpg